What would you do if you were Mike McCagnan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Feb 21, 2017.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I would, rather confidently, to tell you the truth. As nice of a player as Elliot is, a lot of good running backs would have success behind that offensive line.

The bottom line is that running back has been proven to be one of the most replaceable positions on the entire field (remember how well the chiefs replaced Jamal Charles?) and, in today's pass-happy, restrictive salary cap NFL, having to pay a star running back big time money is just not worth it.

Red Menace, TwoHeadedMonster and Br4d like this.
  2. It is very interesting.

I'm not proclaiming my philosophy as "the right way" or something a franchise to stick to for the long term. Ideally you actually hit on one of the late round guys by prudent development. But the Jets just have too long of a history and too big of a hole at the spot. Time to get drastic

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Drastic, in my opinion, would be trading the 6 pick for the 12 and the 33 and then taking QB's on both picks. If you're going to overload value to find a QB it's better to get two guys with the 6 pick instead of one.

alleycat9 likes this.
  4. Yes..that would be drastic. That'd be Steinbrenner-esque. Odds are it'd solve the problem at least long term. I wouldnt even bother bringing in a veteran. Let the Alpha assert himself from the pack. What better way to send the message to the fans that we are in a true rebuild than drafting QBs back to back?

Br4d likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Drastic? I'd say embarrasing! Redskins did it right with RG3 and Cousins. 1 drafted in the first, the other in the 4th.

6. Jamal charles is not a dominant style player. Dynamic yes..but he is replaceable short term.

I think both Fournette & Cook could end up having better NFL careers health permitting. These are elite level dominant style backs. They don't come around every year. Yes there was Elliot last year..but other recent years there have not been RBs of this caliber.When a team hits on one off these types it can be franchise changing. It at least needs to be under consideration.

Jets need to trade down to the middle of this draft.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Note that Jets took FOUR Quarterbacks in that draft:

Namath (1st)
    Huarte (2nd)
    Bob Schweikert (4th)
    Archie Roberts (7th)

People always point to the fact that there were a lot more than 7 rounds back then, but they leave out the part where there were a lot fewer teams. The point is illustrated by the fact that Archie Roberts was picked in the 7th and was pick 51 overall.
    Namath won the National Championship, Huarte won the Heisman and was an All-American, Schweikert (Virginia Tech) was an All-American, and Roberts (Columbia) played one bad game for the Dolphins then became a very successful heart surgeon......go figure.

NCJetsfan and Br4d like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I know RB is replaceable and not even a need but drafting BPA is always good in the long run. It's a proven method of the draft. Plus a few RBs did crap behind that line 2 years ago when they traded murray

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It won't happen, but that's exactly what Sonny Werblin did, and it yielded the only SB in franchise history. Woody, Macc, and Bowles would never have the guts to do this today.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Getting back to the original question:

If I were Maccagnan, I would first make a decision on whether Hack is an answer or not. If he is, I don't draft a QB; if he isn't, I take Mahomes or Watson at 6 - I know many here, and many "experts", don't think either are worth that high of a pick, but IMO they have FQB-level ability, and if that works out, no one will care where they were taken. And yes, it's a gamble because if they don't work out I've passed over someone who may have made a bigger impact, but when I weigh the possible impact vs. the possible cost, I would take that risk.

If I don't take a QB though - and I don't think Macc will - the next biggest impact I could make would be to give whoever the QB is some help, and the best help is an elite RB - NOT an above average, serviceable RB, but an elite RB, like Fournette or Cook. I've gone back and forth between who I think would be a better fit, and now am back to saying Fournette. First, he is FREAK - he's 235 lbs, and runs 4.43 40! That's absurd! Secondly, he can also be used as a receiver out of the backfield. Third - and maybe critical - he's got the size and ability to be an effective blocker to protect the QB. He would make a day and night difference in their offense all by himself.

Next, I would prefer to take a LT with the 2nd pick, but if there a higher rated pass rusher I would go for him. Improving the pass rush improves the secondary also, so it's a "2 for 1" pick.

If I didn't get my LT already I would want to get him now, or failing that the best OL available figuring that can always help. If I took an LT with the 2nd pick, I'd look for a pass rusher now.

Then I would next look for a Safety or CB.

After this, I would take the BPA at LB, TE, WR, OL, Secondary.

My philosophy with this approach is to make the biggest impact on the "O" and "D", and if the first two picks work out as I've described, they would go a long way towards that objective, while the rest of the picks add onto to that incrementally.

11. Br4d

Weeb Ewbank knew that he had to find his QB. He also knew that Namath might wind up in the NFL instead of the AFL. Overloading Namath's 1st contract with a record 427K bonus after drafting 4 QB's in 51 picks shows us how determined Weeb and Werblin were to solve the QB position. That's why we got SB III.

12. ColoradoContrails

And why you have to be willing to roll the dice. I realize that the rules for drafting and the cap have vastly altered the landscape, but the principle is still the same: Without a FQB, you don't win championships. You won;t ever get to sign or trade for someone else's FQB. You must draft and develop your own FQB. Keep drafting them - draft the highest rated one you can - every year until you hit.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not to mention Weeb Ewbank, Don Shula, Chuck Noll, Marv Levy and Jimmy Johnson reading like a who's who of Hall of Fame coaches.[/QUOTE]

Yes Br4d

Its Damming that even in 2018 where we could conceivably get a high ist round pick Bowles and company are as far from that list as Uranus is from Earth

#113 NYJetsO12, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

If I were Mac, what would I do?

I'd get a sex change and change my name to Caitlyn Jenner. It can't possibly be as fucked up as Mac's job of building the Jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

You don't get it...

The Jets are just a big NFL Classroom where Coaches and GMs like Parcell BB Lou Holz and Pete Carrol fail miserably learn their lessons then move on to greatness,,we are all just along for the ride

Bowles will always be terrible but Mac prob has more of a future years from now....I think

Idzik went on to bean counter fame lol

16. UKGangGreen

UKGangGreen Active Member

My pick would be QB/CB. I'd take Watson but if he is still there at 6 I think we will take Trubisky. Lattimore is the dogs but I also like Fournette and Tim Williams from Bama. My best case scenario is get rid of Richardson for a couple of picks in 2nd and 3rd round. If we did that would give us 5 picks in Rds 2 and 3 and we could really improve - pick up CB (Tabor), OT (Ramczyk), TE (Njoku), DE (Barnett) and LB (Davis)

17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

Sorry for repeating myself.

1. Trade down and get more picks to improve team depth. Build a team with depth that will help you survive injuries and a long NFL season
    2. Look who is getting cut during preseason for pickup. Someone's trash might be your treasure.
    3. Build a deep secondary, not everyone needs to be Revis in his prime. Good teams attack your weakest defender, remember that.
    4. Build an offensive line where the weakest player doesn't stink
    5. Try to get cheap veteran free agents who can help mentor your young players
    6. You play in a cold climate at the end of the year, smash mouth football and a QB that can throw against the winter winds
    7. Stop paying for old expensive free agents
    8. Be honest with your fans and tell them you are rebuilding with a 2-3 year plan
    9. Cut or trade players who don't show up early and stay late for practice and meetings
    10. You turn the ball over you don't play, includes all receivers, backs, and QBs

Now for the special caveat when judging players. If the player is not physically and mentally tough, get rid of him. I think there are many players in the Jets today who fail this test.

I remember a famous coach once saying, when your getting beaten badly, this is when you find out what players you want to keep. The players who keep fighting till the bitter end are what you want! The players who quit are the ones that must go.

Can I be your GM?

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

No
    No...no job for you....but you can get the hell off TGG!!!!!!

What are doing here anyway? Shouldn't you be back in Beantown nuthugging Shady Brady and Bellicheater??

Before you go I like what you said ( except for #2) and also the quote about dumping the quitters

19. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Didn't want to make a new thread for one piece of info, but there is a rumor that the Jets are interested in Russell Okung of the Seahawks

20. Br4d

The Rams did this in the early 60's and they never got over the top although the first guy they drafted, Roman Gabriel, did lead a good team for 3 seasons at his peak.

The problem with drafting a QB high every year is that most of the value on a good team comes out of it's 1st through 4th round picks. If you spend one of these each year, particularly in the first two rounds, on a QB you will have talent issues elsewhere that limit the QB's ability to succeed even when you find him.