What would you do as a GM? (POLL)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Pags2112, Mar 19, 2017.

?

What Would You Do Is A GM This Year?

1. Sign or trade for a Vet QB of the future.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sign Vet, draft 1 w 6th pick, winna take it.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. Sign Vet QB to start & draft a QB in 18'.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Draft starter QB sellin the farm need be.

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. Sign a Vet QB to just be a mentor.

17 vote(s)
    32.1%
  6. Sign a Vet QB to compete, winna take all.

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  7. Draft a starter QB w 6th pick, no vet.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. No vet, Draft QB in any rd, winna take it.

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. Go w Pettenberg, No vet QB nor draft 1.

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  10. Sign Vet & draft 1 any rd, winna take all.

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We should have kept Revis and moved him to safety....We are paying him 6 mill this year and he isn't on the team.Great move Mac awesome contract.

2. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

Right now, I'd sign a vet like McCown for cheap, let them all compete. Whoever wins is the Week 1 starter. McCown would work as a mentor to the younger guys and possible starter if neither is ready. Also, we should never plan to draft a QB. That's a sure way to draft a bust. If there's a QB you really want, you go get him. You don't draft QB's to appease the fans. That's how you end up with Ponder or Gabbert. So while I wouldn't mind drafting a QB any year, it has nothing to do with the current players on the roster (except that none are proven starters). It has more to do with the player I'm drafting. If he is worth the draft spot in your eyes, take him.

Pags2112 likes this.
  3. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Looks like they are going to sign McCown. That's OK if they let Petty and Hack do most of the throwing in the OTC's. Then start the one that won the trials and have the Vet be the 3rd backup. Let's find out if either of these QB's are going to be the future. If they can't do shit, then it's time to draft a QB in 2018. Use this draft to pick up Oline men , CB's, safety's and a possible edge rusher (in that order).

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

So pay an extra $9M to a past his prime player who didn't want to put in any effort last season, paying him to play a position that would have called for him to do something he was averse to doing previously, namely tackling. Brilliant.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The only vet I would pay more than a vet min for is Cousins. I'd be willing to give Cousins 20+M per year because if he's the next Drew Brees, we're set. He might not be, but you have to take a risk to win anything. However, I'm not willing to give up multiple firsts for Cousins, so odds are a deal wouldn't get done. Likewise, I wouldn't trade up for Trubisky, but if he's available at 6, I'd probably bite. Watson and Mahomes are my next favorite QBs, and I would take them if I found a good trade down deal, and they were still there later in the first. If none of these scenarios works out, I'd roll with Petty, Hack, and a McCown-type and hope either Petty or Hack is the answer, or we tank for the top pick.

Pags2112 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Like Red, there wasn't an option there that suited my approach.

If I was GM and I knew that Petty was going to be fully recovered by OTAs and that Hack would be ready to compete for the starting job, I wouldn't sign a vet. I'd roll with those two and draft a QB somewhere in the 3rd-5th round. If it was questionable whether Petty would be fully healthy by OTAs or I didn't think that Hack would be ready to compete for the starting job and/or serve as a backup, then I'd sign a vet like McCown who would be there primarily to mentor Petty and Hack and start if neither Petty nor Hack were healthy or ready to play. I would make it clear to Bowles that he was not to just roll with the veteran, but give Petty and/or Hack every benefit of the doubt and the edge in any tie-breaker type situation.

IMO it's not realistic to expect the Jets to go into the season with just 2 QBs on the roster, or to go into the season with Petty/Hack and a rookie if both Petty and Hack aren't ready to compete and play. The Jets have to have at least two QBs who can function in a somewhat proficient manner. Last season, they supposedly had Fitz, Geno, and Petty who were ready to play, so it was fine to redshirt Hack. It wasn't Mac's fault that Petty was injured in preseason, and then Geno got hurt as well. If Mac went into this season with only one QB who was anywhere near ready to start (Petty), Hack needed to sit, and then he drafted a rookie, he would get crucified in the media and league circles, and rightfully so. Mac would never get another job in the NFL in management if he did that.

I fully expect the Jets to sign McCown. In some ways he's perfect. He's been around, played in a number of offenses with different teams and has seen and experienced a lot. He isn't so good that he would have to be guaranteed the starting job or that Bowles would think he has to start him to have a good chance to win. The Jets could roll with Petty and Hack, and let McCown just serve as insurance and mentor. Bowles still might want to go with him rather than Petty or Hack, and that is the danger and drawback to signing him. In that situation, I would hope that Mac got Woody's ear and Woody would tell Bowles to go with the young player and not McCown, that the Jets need to find out if either Petty or Hack can be their QB of the future.

NYJetsO12 and Pags2112 like this.
  7. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I know and apologize .. I didn't know if I could have fully typed out the options. Thanks for participating though! As the draft draws near and after reading the excerpt below .. this situation is what is most on my mind!

"Josh McCown’s meeting with the New York Jets ended this weekend without him signing anything, though both sides are still discussing a potential contract, according to MMQB’s Albert Breer.

Breer notes that a deal is not “imminent” between the two sides."

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Pags2112

Mahomes and Peterman are both intriguing to me, and for different reasons. Mahomes just having that "It Factor" and seemingly very confident, makes me believe he could succeed here. Peterman though not flashy could be a very efficient game managing QB. We don't necessarily need the next Andrew Luck, but someone we can count on being efficient, and Peterman comes with Pro Style offense experience. I will also throw out this name --> Chad Kelly. He is regarded to have one of the most talented arms in the draft. Add his injury to the mix and since his draft stock is falling, he may be someone we can also grab as low as round 7. Many experts are predicting he may fall that low. I see some value there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Pags2112

Thanks for participating NCJ!

I didn't have the ability to add anymore options unfortunately and adding the option of:
    **Draft QB in any round winna take it, adding a Vet if needed after the draft** would have been a great choice. Thanks again.

You made some great points and agree with your opinions of McCown .. having him leave without a contract is disappointing to me as it could have made me rest easier knowing they were giving Pettenberg a real shot at starting.

10. Pags2112

Thanks for participating! Brees will actually be a free agent next year. I'm really starting to wonder if we are going to draft a QB in the first round this year since nothing is being made clear which direction we are going in. This draft can't come soon enough!

11. Pags2112

Thanks for participating! I really wish I did add signing a Vet after the draft as one of the options as many a person is stating they would have.

12. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't even consider Kelly. Is he talented? Definitely. I saw him play 4-5 times over the last 2 seasons. He is wildly inconsistent. In one game he looks awesome, and the next game he looks pretty bad. The next game he'll look really good and make some good decisions, then 5 minutes later, he'll make some dumb decisions and look bad. Worse, he has character issues off the field, and that's not something one wants in one's QB, who is supposed to be a leader.

Pags2112 likes this.
  13. Pags2112

That's true .. his off the field issues would be enough for MM to stay away from him. He's probably going to be Johnny Football 2.0.

14. NCJetsfan

You're welcome.

I didn't pick that "Draft QB in any round winna take it" option because adding a Vet after the draft would put the Jets back at 4 QBs or would mean that either Petty or Hack would have to be cut, and IMO that's not a viable option.

The way I read your options, there are two that are practically identical. They are options #4 and #7. (Draft starter QB selling the farm need be. and Draft a starter QB with 6th pick, no vet.) In both scenarios, the Jets are using their first round pick on a QB and they would sign no vet.

Option #1 was totally out for me. I don't think there was/is a QB of the future available that could be the Jets QB of the future, except for maybe Cousins, and he would be too expensive both capwise and in terms of draft picks, and is too old to really be the Jets QB of the future (it would be a short future as he's already 28).

Option #2 was totally out as well. I don't think there are any QBs worthy of the #6 pick, and that would give the Jets 4 QBs again, unless they cut either Petty or Hack, and I would be totally against that.

Option #3 was totally out as well. I think the Jets need to find out what they have in Petty and Hack and see if they need to plan on taking their future QB in 2018. Signing or trading for a Vet to start would accomplish nothing imo.

Options #4 & #7 were totally out because I don't think there's a QB in this draft worth selling the farm for or taking at #6.

Option #5 was a close possibility, but if both Petty and Mac are ready to compete and play, then I'm not sure a vet is needed. One might be nice as a mentor or in case both struggled badly, but would be risky as Bowles might opt to start him rather than Petty or Hack. I think a vet is only definitely needed if the Jets have questions about Petty's health or if Hack is ready to compete or needs to sit and continue working on his fundamentals more. Option #6 was out for the same reason that #3 was.

Option #8 was also a possibility, but if both Petty and Hack aren't ready to compete and play, then I wouldn't do it.

Option #9 would be career suicide imo. One can't go with only 2 QBs, especially with one coming off a major injury and surgery and the other whose fundamentals are still questionable, and neither has much experience.

Option #10 imo is for all intents and purposes identical to Option #2, so is out as well.

Pags2112 likes this.
  15. Pags2112

Lol, yeah it was pretty late when I put that post together. As the draft draws nearer and reading about McCown leaving without a contract just leaves me uneasy. Of course we don't know what goes on behind the scenes or if McCown didn't enjoy his meal at the steakhouse. Could it be that they want to smokescreen their draft intentions or perhaps share the same view that you mentioned, and assume they can still sign a Vet later, after they evaluate Pettenberg come camp. Either way, I'm getting impatient.

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Ugh. The options just get more and more unappealing.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Where is 'Fire Toilet Bowls' option?

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Revis has stolen enough money from this team.

Besides he is a traitor that helped the Patsies win a SB.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Alley cat is coming for you....;)

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Maybe he wanted cupcakes and didn't get them.

In all seriousness it's no big deal to not sign Mcclown.

If Petty is not ready to compete for the starting job as he goes into his 3rd year as an NFL QB, then they need to cut him or get ready to fire TB at some point this year, it begs the question to be answered, what have they been doing?

I'm all for the Ron Wolf approach, let Petty and Hack battle it out and draft a QB in the 4th or 5th round and let the rookie hold the clip board.

Use the first 3-4 picks to give TB some players that can at least start helping this rebuild take place and give the team a positive direction.

FJF and Pags2112 like this.