What the hell is wrong with Mel Kiper?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CatoTheElder, Feb 16, 2007.

1. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Every mock draft this guy has put out so far has had the Jets taking a WR. First it was Dwayne Bowe from LSU and now it's Robert Meachem from Tennessee. Who does he think we have running the FO, Matt Millen?

2. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Actually, drafting for need is a bad overall strategy...draft picks should be looked at as an investment that will pay off in 2 to 3 years. See the pats blueprint. Time and time again, picking for need vs. value has done in many an NFL team. Take our selection of Aaron Glenn for example...we didn't need a CB at the time and people were like WTF, but as bruce explained, he was the BPA and the only top-tier talent left at the time of our pick, and of course, he proved to be a great CB for us for years. So when you look at our current situation, imagine a coupla years from now when LC has either retired or bitched his way off the team, and we have a stud complement to J-Co for Clemens to throw to for years to come and you begin to see what MK is talking about.

However, I still think he's an idiot.

3. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

he must think we'll make moves in FA, if not, i don't know what he's thinking

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think the best strategy at least for Day 1 is a hybrid of need and best player available. NFL teams' rosters now-a-days are too thin not to draft for need in some capacity. When you have depth like the Pats did during their championship run, then you can draft strictly the best players available. I'm sorry but the Jets are not there just yet.

5. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Hmm, lets think whos on our roster. Coles is good, but hes on the road to the Chrebet Concussion club. 2-3 yrs he could be done. That alone warrants drafting a WR since they take that amount of time to see if theyre productive or not on the next level.

Cotchery is a lock as a starter as long as he's healthy. Only player you cant knock.

McCareins, are you serious?

Smith, great upside but this is a project pick. definitely not a sure thing.

If Bowe was there at 25 id jump on him in a heartbeat. and wed be set at WR, unlike some people think we are now cuz we have 2 viable options wow 2 thats awesome.

essentially wed be drafting coles replacement. either way you always need 3 solid WR's. and if brad smith pans out we could have as many as 4 if we go WR.

6. The U

The U Member

Kiper's first few mocks are not serious, because he does not want anyone to steal his picks. Plus you cannot take a mock seriously until after the combine and private workouts are held.

7. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

I don't see why some people feel so dead set against drafting a WR. If we were to add someone along the lines of Bowe, Meachem, or even Sideny Rice, the offense would become so much more dynamic. Even though Coles and Cotchery are a good tandem, neither of them are the "game breaker" type along the levels of say Steve Smith or Santana Moss. Having someone like that would stretch the defense, and although Chad can't throw deep CONSISTENTLY, he's still good for one or two 30+ yards flys a game, so having a big, fast receiver like that would do wonders

8. All Star

All Star Active Member

In 3 years I have a feeling Laveranues will be either retired or on another team, at that time the WR we pick should be coming into his own, I like the move.........

9. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

If you look at how the draft is shaking up as of now, WR will be the best value pick in that part of the draft, with Meachem, Bowe and Rice being available (possibly)

10. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

WR is never the best value in the first round of the draft--it is by far the hardest position to project into the pros--the first-round bust rate seems higher at WR than at any other position. Value in this draft seems to be in the defensive front seven and at OG--which also matches the biggest needs I see on the Jets.

11. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Exactamundo.

12. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

But with the way the mock drafts have been portraying it so far, WR will have the most value when we're on the first round clock. In the second round, the value will most definately be with the front seven or OG, but by our first rounder, it will most likely be a WR.

13. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Agreed - Only I think CB has the biggest bust rate and is a complete crapshoot to draft, and then WR is #2.

14. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

With New England, Dallas, and Kansas City all picking in front of us (not in that order), there won't be Bowe and probably not Rice. Do we want Meachum? Eh...

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Because Kiper knows that what this offense is really missing is someone that can stretch the field, both Wide and Deep.

Coles and Cotchery are good, but neither one takes the 8th man out of the box.

3 wide, with a true threat on the perimeter opens up the entire offense, and with one pick, makes your QB, your OL and your running game better.

16. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Rice is the guy you gotta hope for.

17. JetsLookingforDWare

I like Meachum alot as a prospect. He's big, fast, gets great seperation, can go deep, and he's got great leaping ability.

I like his toughness alot more than I like Rice's. Plus, I love Tennesse prospects. Rice is at least partially a product of Spurrier's system, and Meachum has everything he has but he's tougher and faster.

18. Tight

Tight Active Member

Coles is faster then anyone in the draft right now, if we had a qb with a stronger arm wed see that, not knocking chad.

Im just saying your not going to see a whole lot of " field stretching with chad at the helm"

19. DROB63Cmart28

DROB63Cmart28 Banned

We dont need a WR. If we want a WR that can stretch the field we can get that in later rounds we dont need to waste a 1st rounder for a 3rd receiver. We can still draft one in the later rounds and develop him into a very good receiver. Our main needs are getting an OLB and a DE or NT as well as a Run Bocking RG. This being said Mel Kiper is an idiot who doesnt know shit. Draft expert my ass.

20. ViLmAfAn5128

ViLmAfAn5128 Banned

its Meachem, Meachum sounds like a brand of Mayonaisse