What QB do we draft now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who do we draft at QB?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Allen

10.6%
  2. Mayfield

33.3%
  3. Darnold

13.6%
  4. Rosen

28.8%
  5. Jackson

3.0%
  6. Rudolph (after round 1)

3.0%
  7. Falk (after round 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (after round 1)

6.1%
  9. No one

1.5%
  1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take a guy just to take a guy at #6 overall.
    It has to be the right guy.

I agree with you on Allen. If it came to Mayfield or Jackson, I'd definitely go Mayfield provided he interviewed well.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

TBH the "relies on his legs" is about the laziest assessment any scout makes and they apply it to anyone that's mobile. it's a joke. watch jackson play. someone that relies on their legs would take the first read and run if it's not there. they also wouldn't buy time but instead take off and run when under pressure. if you watch jackson when he buys time (which he does in a way i haven't seen form a QB in a long time) he keeps his eyes downfield looking for the throw. Not only that but he doens't get run happy, he sits in the pocket and scans the field like a QB should. as you said the talent is there easily. CAR built an offense around Cam. Jackson has the talent to be the first QB to throw for 4k and rush for 1k in the same season.

NoodleArm, TonyFtLaud and cgrec like this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

he reminds me way to much of hack or i'll do you one better jay cutler. not to say jay was a bad QB in the NFL. he was decent but still. scouts will love allen's arm. nobody questions that, his accuracy issues though aren't just "poor talent around him" he relies on his arm way too much. never sets and throws his throwing motion is bad and not very fast. look at all this throws he's pretty much always off balance even with no pressure. he also lacks pocket awareness, even when there is no pressure he doesn't step up ro hang in there and deliver, instead he bails and does "all arm throws" off balance. you never see him sit in the pocket, scan the field, read the D, and hang in there and make a mechanically correct throw. he just looks awkard as hell playing QB relying on his 1 biggest asset and that's a cannon arm. You can't succeed like that in the NFL. he's also too cocky about his arm, lots of his throws would be picked off at NFL speed instead of the slower college speed. I also see a lack of ability to hit a 2nd or 3rd read. it's either 1st read is open or scramble and chuck it awkardly. his play style won't transition well into the NFL

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Preaching to the choir sir. I wouldn't say it's a lazy assessment though, because it doesn't mean what you're taking it to mean. When they say "relies on his legs", that means that without his mobility, he's not the same quarterback. RG3 would be an example of this. When he broke down, he wasn't able to become a pocket passer.

On one hand, It's not a very fair assessment, because no one really knows if this is the case. Although, based on his play, it's somewhat accurate. So you have to think, if this guy wasn't able to move around, would he be the same type of quarterback? Take a look at the Tampa Bay vs Falcons game from Week 14 of 2002, and look at what the Bucs defense did to Vick. That's what happens when you can't rely on your legs.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The dude is nothing like Hack... Hacks mechanics were ruined after Billy O left. Allen’s mechanics are flawless. Hack was throwing balls in the dirt during the combine with no pressure, his accuracy is absolutely terrible. Tomorrow you will see Allen rip it in shorts.

The only thing they have in common is they both had a piss poor OL in college

BacktoQueens likes this.
  6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Where is the Cutler comparison of Allen coming from lol, that is worse than the Hack comparison which is pretty bad as well. Cutler was known for being a complete jackass which Allen certainly is not. In fact the opposite is true and that just may be the best thing he has going for him other than his athleticism and arm talent. Everyone that comes near Allen loves him, his coaches love him, his teammates love him and he lives for football.

Other than throwing a football really hard Allen couldn’t be any more different than Cutler and outside of having a less than 60% completion percentage and of course throwing the ball hard he is nothing like Hack either.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Allen passes the eye test most of all for me.

for us it’s going to come down to Jackson vs Mayfield and especially if we don’t sign Kirk. Before free agency it’s tough to figure the draft out.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

In all honesty, you think Allen is better than Rosen?

9. rockyusmc2003

Allen has a great arm, some scouts I follow have actually said it's the strongest they have EVER seen. However, his mechanics are far from "flawless". When accuracy is your prime issue, mechanics are typically the problem. The best mechanics in this draft are Josh Rosen, and he even has some issues. So saying "flawless" is a stretch.

Allen's biggest problem has been his inconsistent feet. Watch his tape (which isn't the best by the way) and you will see sloppy feet on many occasions, specifically when he's going downfield. He does make some insane passes, but he makes a lot of bad passes as well.

10. GasedAndConfused

Allen has terrible mechanics. are you sure you are watching him and not somebody else. i'm more concerned with how QBs look in game and not in shorts. nobody questions allens arm strength but in game, dude just looks awkard and is always throwing poorly. he doens't look like an NFL QB. he looks like a kid slinging balls in a pickup game in the park

11. GasedAndConfused

I mean the 2 compared to their strengths, weaknesses, mechanics etc. I never said anything bad about allens character. that's a rosen issue

12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To me, Allen is Hack 2.0, not the QB Mac can afford to take at this point.

13. rockyusmc2003

I wouldn't say they are "terrible" mechanics either. But, he has larger issues aside from his mechanics that concern me at #6. He's highly touted based upon his intangibles and ceiling, and at times it seems like his tape is ignored.

-Lack of touch, he tries to shred every throw. (Sounds familiar)
    -If you watch his tape, he usually sees edge rushers late and he panics.
    -For as strong as his arm is, his deep throws have been inaccurate.
    -He routinely throws into bad coverage situations, and relies too heavily on his arm.
    -Throwing for anticipation is weak. I forgave that while at Wyoming because his team wasn't good, but it was also subpar at senior bowl.

GasedAndConfused and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He can scramble so his upside is much higher, but the throwing of the football is scary and will need major work.

15. rockyusmc2003

Aside from the obvious issues that I pointed out. Here is an interesting video I found a couple weeks ago

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

Well I don't know how anyone can argue with those numbers. This confirms what I've seen of Allen - he really is Hack 2.0.

17. rockyusmc2003

18. ColoradoContrails

Mayfield is my #2 choice behind Rosen, but they both share that cockiness and self-assuredness that I think is necessary to play in NY. I really want Rosen, but wouldn't cry if it was Mayfield.

19. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Both Rosen and Mayfield ooze confidence. With Darnold’s turnover troubles in college, I think I now have the QB rankings set as:

1-Rosen
    2-Mayfield
    3-Darnold
    4-Allen

I realize it is early, but my initial gut is that if the Jets do no get Cousins, they absolutely have to find a way to trade up. Whether that’s with Cleveland or Indy. The Jets will not land Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield if they sit at 6.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

Allen is going to ruin somebody. I hope it's not the Jets. I wouldn't take him in any round, He's the Vegas stripper that says she loves you, not your money, and then you wake up one morning bankrupt and shocked.

My top 4:

1. Rosen

2. Mayfield

3. Darnold

4. Jackson

NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.