What QB do we draft now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who do we draft at QB?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Allen

10.6%
  2. Mayfield

33.3%
  3. Darnold

13.6%
  4. Rosen

28.8%
  5. Jackson

3.0%
  6. Rudolph (after round 1)

3.0%
  7. Falk (after round 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (after round 1)

6.1%
  9. No one

1.5%
  1. abc

abc Well-Known Member

I hear you on Nelson & Barkley... but I think you'll be better rewarded if you trade down & pick up some extra picks... this draft has several OL men & RB's that will be successful,.. not really a great fall from Nelson or Barkley plus it's unk if or how well Nelson can translate to a LT... a 6th rd pick for a "guard" is a little too rich for me... plus I would like to have that extra 2nd rounder to draft Lauletts.., of course that is if Mayfiled & Darnold are gone.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

But does adjusted yards per interception predict NFL success? Most college stats don't. The consensus among analytics people is that completion percentage is about the only one that does (which is not a good look for Allen).

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

its objective if you consider system and all of the other factors. I look at Rosen's for example and I am very impressed with that stat considering he doesn't have great weapons and doesn't play in a QB friendly system like Mayfield. Mayfield still impressive, but Rosen warrants more love there.

Completion % same thing, you can't judge a QB's accuracy by it

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's your perspective/opinion, and is your right. I see things very differently, and see no need to defend myself to you or anyone else.

You need to take a hard look in the mirror and worry about your own faults before you start criticizing someone else. I've had discussions with you before, and have seen many of your discussions with ColoradoContrails and others, and I know what I've seen. I'm not confusing you with anyone else.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

Count me in the group that thinks Rosen would be best case and Allen worst. I admit my knowledge is somewhat limited or superficial but that's my sense of it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Definitely. But despite that there is a correlation (albeit a weak one) between completion percentage and NFL success. As opposed to most stats where there is no correlation whatsoever.

7. StrongSide

StrongSide New Member

You and I are going to disagree a lot.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"Too much agreement kills a chat".

If we all agreed, there would be no need for forums like this, and sometimes the most outlandish POVs opens our eyes to alternatives we never would've considered.

Or, like my friend's Jewish grandfather used to say, "If everyone only ate vanilla, they'd have to throw the chocolate away".

StrongSide likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's what makes the world go around. Welcome to the board.

Brook! and StrongSide like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The one above, you can consider a QBs decision making. Honestly, I don't use that stat much, but it does tell a story if you watched the QBs play. All stats have a weak correlation IMO. At best, you use it to judge what you see.

It is no coincidence, Darnold and Allen are at the bottom of the list. They don't make the best decisions with the football. Baker seems to have a good idea on protecting the football, so does Rosen and Jackson.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

please point out where i've personally attacked or been disrespectful to anyone since you are making that accusation. your perception isn't reality. if you are going to make a claim, back it up. as the other poster showed before, you have a tendency to attack people you don't agree with that. that's not cool. it's fine to not see eye to eye, but not ok for things to turn into personal attacks. i'm not criticizing you at all, i'm pointing out your behavior for you too see clearly.

FJF and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That throwing motion has to be fixed. He won't get away with dropping the ball like that in the NFL. Strip sacks will plague him if it's not corrected.

13. GasedAndConfused

yeah darnold needs some work for sure. gonna have to sit at least 1 year. but he has great potential and the drive and attitude to improve.

CotcheryFan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

We need to get our guy whoever that may be. I’d love it to be Allen but I don’t think he will be there at 6. I think it will come down to Mayfield or Jackson. Both have issues, both have good qualities...

15. TonyFtLaud

Are you concerned with Allen's accuracy or injury history?

16. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

His accuracy is overblown. The guy had a terrible OL and WRs who couldn’t get separation. He had a hand in his face or getting chased or a dropped ball on almost every incomplete pass I watched...

His injuries also can be credited to his OL. This farm boy just never threw his teammates under the bus.

Tomorrow you will see everything you need to know about Allen

17. GasedAndConfused

if you can't make throws under pressure, you aren't an NFL QB. look what jackson does when faced with pressure. I'd take jackson anyday. Allen has hack 2.0 written all over him. reminds me more of a ahck or cutler then a future good QB in the NFL

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

I could care less who the injuries are attributed to. They happened to him. He has one thing going for him, his arm strength. But that throwing shoulder has been surgically repaired twice, and injured 3 times. Will it hold up if he gets driven into the ground? If not, or if he looses the velocity, he has nothing.
    His accuracy is a concern. I know his Receivers sucked, his O line was shit.
    Heard the same thing about Hack.
    Funny of the top 5 QBs, his Receivers had the fewest drops of all yet I keep hearing about them dropping the ball.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson is the most unknown enigma at the QB position the draft has seen in a VERY long time.

His talents are extraordinary, his size is less than ideal, too slight for the position, he relies on his legs, has moves like Barry Sanders at QB, has a canon for an arm. super quick release, less than average accuracy, the list goes on and on...back and forth.

2 months ago, some draft sites had Cleveland taking him at #1, and now there is talk of changing positions and falling out of the 1st round. It's amazing how all over the board this guy is. At this point, he's the ultimate boom or bust. Steve Young or RG3?

I'm super intrigued by Jackson, but he also scares the living shit out of me. Especially at #6. However, if the Jets miss on Cousins, and none of the "Top 3" (I have it Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen/Jackson tied for 4) are available at 6, there are some trade back scenarios that could play out and make him an option towards the middle of Round 1. Hear me out...

Allen is also a scary pick for me at #6. I wasn't super impressed with him at the Senior Bowl, and felt like his practices were average at best. If Allen is available at 6, the phone could be ringing.

For example (I have other scenarios as well, but this is the first one I thought up) - Arizona calls, and offers - 1st #15, 2nd #47, and 3rd #79 for the 6th pick? (1600 points vs 1670 points give or take)

That leaves the Jets with the possibility of grabbing:

Jackson at 15

(3)
    2nd Rounders (Fill C, RB, CB Price/Daniels, Chubb/Michel/Guice, D Jackson/Alexander)

(2) 3rd Rounders to plug an Edge (Armstrong/Carter etc) & OL, DE, WR or any other needs

Leaves round 4-7 to grab a 2nd QB (Falk/Rudolph/Litton/Lauletta etc) as a safety net

Just food for thought. There are still a lot of options still on the table.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Allen can make throws under pressure. He has excellent ability to extend plays and escape defenders.

Rockinz point was that constantly being under pressure, with bad OL and WR's that weren't getting separation, had a negative effect on his overall completion %.
    Being inconsistent on throws and often throwing too hard also played into his %, so obviously he does need a little work.

Name me one part of Allen's game or situation that is similar to Hack's though, outside of being under 60% completions.
    They are nothing alike.