What QB do we draft now?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Feb 26, 2018.

?

Who do we draft at QB?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2018.
  1. Allen

10.6%
  2. Mayfield

33.3%
  3. Darnold

13.6%
  4. Rosen

28.8%
  5. Jackson

3.0%
  6. Rudolph (after round 1)

3.0%
  7. Falk (after round 1)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (after round 1)

6.1%
  9. No one

1.5%
  1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am with you, @GreenGreek. Especially if they target a QB they want. I keep hearing people say the Jets will sit at #6 and draft which QB falls to them. I hope that is not true. They need to identify which QB they want and go get him. Whatever it takes.

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd be thrilled with Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield. So I would make sure I could trade up to the third pick at absolute worst. I would probably just try to trade for the number 1 or number 2 pick.

3. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

This poll is interesting in that it represents exactly how I have them ranked:

Mayfield
    Rosen
    Darnold
    Allen
    Other

Sam Hammer likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

So I’ve been watching the QBs in depth for the first time today.

Whoa. I know people complain that “next year’s QB class” is always revered, but I think we’ve finally gotten to “next year”. These guys are so impressive. Rosen, Mayfield and Darnold all warrant the #1 pick in any given year. I’m so jealous of the Browns (never thought I’d say that) for having access to all 3 but I don’t envy having to choose between them. Can’t wait to get started on Jackson, Lauletta and some other guys to see if the depth is as good as the top. But I think we HAVE to find a way to come away with one of the top 3. And kill me if we get Allen with all this talent out there.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. Big Cat

Also I’ve been hardcore sleeping on Darnold. I knew how good Rosen and Mayfield are but I had dismissed Darnold foolishly because of a couple bad picks I saw him throw in games I watched live. He’s an absolute baller and only 20 years old (!!). He’s definitely in that top tier and maybe even the best pick.

6. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

People might've felt that he was the consensus #1 and didn't consider him because he was out of reach. That's what I did. I kinda dismissed Darnold also after watching him just a little and he threw some INT's and looked like he would need a lotta of fundy work. I doubt he'll be stepping right in.

I kind of expect to not have a shot at him or Rosen, and have my fingers crossed on Mayfield. If we miss him on him too it's on to Jackson or Rudolph later on draft night.

I don't know much about Allen except that he reminds me of Roethlisberger with his size, and he has a howitzer. And that he could be a guy that would be hard to get on the ground, and he could make throws on broken plays. That always drove me nuts about Roethlisberger

7. Big Cat

Huge trade up 12 hours after I posted this. I am quite elated.

8. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I so hope they take Allen, just for the faux tears around here..
    He's the most talented of the group.

If it's Rosen, the faux tears will be coming from me!
    I'd be happy with Mayfield, though I believe he'd be there at 6 anyway.

9. Big Cat

Watched 3 Darnold games and 3 Rosen games yesterday. Don’t really need to watch Mayfield because I’ve seen so much of him today. Gonna go in on Allen today just in case that is who Mac is targeting, hopefully something changes my mind.

Not even gonna bother looking at the depth in this draft. There’s no point anymore. Maybe I’ll watch Jackson but I can’t imagine we traded up to 3 for him.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd be thrilled with Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.

Big Cat and westiedog1 like this.
  11. Big Cat

Watched 3 Allen games this morning. He’s not as much of a disaster as I thought. I have a bad taste in my mouth because his numbers and excuses are so similar to Hackenberg in college but Allen is definitely better. He’s way more accurate and has a much better feel for the game. It’s excusable to use a late first rounder on him but I don’t see him as a guy you trade into the top 3 for and he’s not in the Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold tier for me.

His biggest strength, by far, is his ability to extend plays. He stays on his feet against tacklers better than anyone I’ve seen, in stark contrast to Hackenberg who went down at fingertips (probably the worst I’ve ever seen for a guy his size). He’s also not completely oblivious like Hack and at least occasionally senses pass rushers and moves around them without needing to break the tackle.

Big concerns are still lack of feel for timing and his complete lack of touch. He’s inept when forced to throw anything other than his fastball and there are some truly hideous throws when he tries to take something off. He’s also too slow to process at times and gets stuck on his first read way too long. He throws with virtually no anticipation even on out breaking routes. He trusts his arm strength so much that he always waits to see his guy open, which might not work in the NFL. His deep ball is nowhere near as good as it should be for a guy with that cannon, and I think his lack of touch, anticipation and timing are largely to blame.

He has a chance to be a decent player, but he is definitely QB4 out of the 4 guys we’re likely eyeing at number 3 and it would certainly be disappointing if we traded 3 seconds for him. I’m going to watch pretty much every game from these guys over the next month and try to come up with a ranking though it’ll be hard because the top 3 are so bunched and have different strengths/weaknesses.

legler82, Rockinz and Catfish Billy like this.
  12. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled with Rosen or Darnold. Happy with Mayfield.

13. Big Cat

Official combine ball velos are in Allbright’s spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/a/uconn.edu...T3umX0HKxRyQqyXM9BqHrotdcQA6W-V_pDiY/htmlview

Allen at 61 is still the highest ever. Not surprised that Mayfield and Rosen are slower than the 60 that was previously reported because that was way too high. Still, 57 for Mayfield is very good and Rosen is up there as well.

You can compare numbers to past years QBs by navigating the spreadsheet.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Bump*

this thread clears up everything from the past about who liked who in the draft. Have a read.

15. Rockinz

Bahahahahhaaaa

16. Rockinz

Bahahahahhaaaa

17. Rockinz

Hmmmmm

and no I’m not psychic

#297 Rockinz, Apr 27, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2021