What is the Jets final top 3?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by King Koopa, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Rosen
    Darnold
    Mayfield

This:

Just learned from NFLN Total Access that Jedd Fisch, Rosen's OC at UCLA last year, was Jeremy Bates' QB Coach when Bates was the OC in Seattle. I vaguely recall that Fisch being reported as a possible member of Bates' short list for QB coach once he got promoted to OC job here earlier this year. So Rosen is the most ready to see the field, the one that provides the most job security for the FO and our OC has a direct connection with his college OC. Plus the Jets made the trade that after Rosen's pro day. Now I'm pretty much 99.9% certain the pick will be Rosen. I prefer my QB to have a bit more athleticism and arm talent but I can live with that pick.

I think Rosen is the best fit for the Jets - he processes information very quickly, is very accurate, and the most natural thrower of the ball. His footwork is the best too. He just needs to learn how to throw the ball away in the NFL and not put himself in harm's way. He'll learn that. Far and away the best QB for Bates system. Mayfield is great for his Moxie, but his talent is not at the level of Rosen and Darnold IMO.

themorey likes this.
  2. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

They had been linked to Rosen a lot!

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Rosen spotlight on NFLN now

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Two months too long. I thought he was a quick learner?:p

LAJet likes this.
  5. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Darnold
    Rosen
    Mayfield

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Taking Barkley or Nelson would be criminally stupid, would get Mac fired, and he'd never work in the NFL again except maybe as a custodian.

7. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

1) Rosen
    2) Darnold
    3) Allen
    4) Mayfield.

So much talk about Mayfield and the FO has been very tight lipped, the mayfield talk smells like a smokescreen.

8. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

This was thought provoking for me. But it's a funny thing. If Mac is sitting there and thinking about things in this kind of train; and it's very possible or even likely that he is, why isn't the Browns GM sitting there and thinking the same thing? Many games give the advantage to first to act, and the NFL draft is certainly one of those games in many situations, but what if this is a rare instance where first action is actually a hinderance? Rosen is the guy that's most likely to make your job safe. So maybe first to act locks up his best chance to stay employed for 10 years, and leaves the gambles on the table for the next guy. But for the fanbase, the gamble is what you want because either it hits hard and your team becomes great rather than relevant or it fails and you get to try again with another top pick soon enough.

I'm trying to find a way to keep Allen on the board at 3 and maybe that's it. The Giants or their trade partner could easily take him at 2 but at least that leaves Darnold who I think has more upside than Rosen also.

9. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets top 3 QBs are Rosen, Allen, and Darnold. I believe that all of the Mayfield rumors have been smokescreens.

10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'm not worried at all. I know it's likely going to be Rosen. Only way it's not is if Darnold falls in their laps. Giants will not draft a qb or trade out. They'll draft Bradley Chubb and hope he's the next Lawrence Taylor.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

After the draft, whichever QB they take, Maccagnan is gonna say he liked the other QBs but the one he drafted was the Jets top choice of course.

The media sucks so we probably won't get much beyond that but it would be nice if they could get to the bottom of it all and find out how the Jets had these guys ranked. It would tell us a lot about their scouting and what they place emphasis on

12. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

We might know 4-5 years from now...but def not right away

BrowningNagle likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yeah, damn ur probably right. The Jets draft the eventual bust and say he was their top choice on draft day. Then 4 or 5 years from now reports will come out that the Jets really actually wanted [XXX] instead who just so happens to be the only good one but they "just missed"

we've seen this movie before

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wish I was this confident, the day would go much faster :mad:

playtowinthegame likes this.
  15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mac's:
    darnold
    rosen
    mayfield

mine:
    rosen
    jackson
    mayfield

16. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

The Jets will end up with a great player tonight. I'm going to trust the process, and believe the Jets will get it right, and the man holding that Jets jersey up next to Roger Goodell will make the Jets great again.

17. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I know I keep basically rehashing the same post and I apologize for it but I just couldn't agree with this more. If we actually really do draft Mayfield (which I assume we won't) its ALREADY a catastrophe in my mind because even if he manages to work out we could have just drafted him at our old pick and now we've lost the chance god knows what with those 3 2nd round picks.

Especially this year. I'm no expert but there looks to be a lot of potentially really impactful guys that we could have taken with our two 2nds. A RB for sure, a couple enticing WR guys, that potential Gronk 2.0 TE, a couple of linemen...... all pissed away now. If Mayfield is really enough of an NFL prospect to be lumped in with the big 3 I think we made a bad deal at this point. Hopefully my attitude changes in time as our new QB starts kicking ass and winning games.

18. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

When I say I couldn't agree with this more I assume its taken for granted that (at least I) don't "literally" want Mac fired immediately. Just that it looks like a bad decision to me as a fan. Fans are allowed a little hyperbole leeway for this stuff we are passionate about.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Been lurking for a little bit, a little late to the party, just my thoughts on the QBs. I know this has all been rehashed before, but I watched pretty much every televised games for each of these guys this year and a bunch last year (well, not Allen last year) so just my 2 cents about the only position that truly matters.

Darnold. Number 1. First of all, the “USC” issue is illogical--suggesting his school matters when you consider how great a talent he is. Don’t care about his INTs, Winston threw a bunch, don’t care about his fumbles, that can be fixed. Perfect combo of size and athleticism, can move around the pocket, escape danger, runs as a last option to get first downs. But some of his throws are off the charts. I’ve watched every televised game he played last year and every game he had at least 4-5 throws that were NFL wow-worthy. Throwing guys open, fitting it into incredibly minute windows. Literally throws where I whispered to myself “holy cow”. 12 year starter, multiple Pro-Bowler. Highest ceiling (unless Allen proves to be Superman) and highest floor. Will take more time to hit the field than Rosen but I don't care.

Rosen number 2A. Saw as many games this year that were televised but the PAC-12 Network only played about 7 -8 games. Prototypical NFL pocket passer. Perfect mechanics, quick release, accurate, massive arm talent. Has incredible football IQ pre and post snap, moves DBs with his eyes. Deceptively mobile in the pocket, not running for 1st downs which separates him from Rogers. Don’t care about his attitude or his family wealth or shoulder surgery. A much better version of Goff. Concussions a big issue- discussed below. The most pro ready but that doesn't matter to me.

Mayfield 2B. Super accurate. Super athletic. Strong arm (stronger than anyone thought), can make every throw. Massive leader (which could be an issue considering he’s not walking in to be the “guy” day 1). Really processes what’s going on downfield while the pocket is breaking down. Always looking downfield and only runs with no other option, tries to find that receiver. Lightening quick release but also has great touch. Off field stuff is overrated noise. The narrative that he’s always throwing to wide open receivers is wrong on 2 counts. One- he has thrown PLENTY of passes into very tight, very NFL-like windows. Two- look at NFL film the last 5 years, guys running free and wide open every single play. Go look at Ben to Brown tape, he’s wide open on 80% of them. Not every throw in the NFL is into a tight window. Will need to work on snaps from under center- he looked awkward in limited reps- but it’s easy enough to pick up. Mariotta learned it in under a year. Baker is likely perfecting it now.

As much as I love Darnold, Mayfield would be my favorite choice and most entertaining for NY. Will take more time to hit the field than Rosen but I don't care.

Allen. Clearly 3 (really 4) behind the big 3. Let’s get this straight. He’s NOT Hack. Hack is unathletic, immobile, turtles in the face of pressure. Allen is inaccurate but not on the Hack level, Hack can’t play catch with someone 15 yards away without skipping passes or sailing them over his head. Allen can at least do that.

And I’m completely intrigued by Allen, he could become Wentz-like. But I don’t think so. Saw every game he played on TV this year and his inconsistency was awful. Quite frankly, he just misses really easy throws. While mixing in some beautiful throws. You talk about Baker hitting wide open guys, at least he hits them. Allen misses wide open guys regularly. He’s just not accurate. Completion % does not equal accuracy but you can’t dismiss 56% in junior college and expect 65% in the NFL. It’s weak to blame his OLine and awful WRs and no screen passes and always running for his life. He’s naturally inaccurate. He just is. Could be Elway. Could be Russell with a much better attitude.

Two things.

I don't really care who is the most ready to play in the NFL. It’s not important who is ready to play day one. I want the guy who will be my leader for year 2 through year 12.

Second, as much as I like Rosen, you cannot compare his concussion history to Baker’s, not even close. Concussions are cummulative and like any other injury need to be taken in context. You can tweak your ankle, a “sprained” ankle and be back the next game. You can have a high ankle sprain and miss 6 weeks. Concussions pile up, you have one and you’re out for a week, then another and you’re out for 4 weeks then another and you’re Pat LaFontaine or Eric Lindross.

Mayfield went through concussion protocol twice—never diagnosed as concussions-and after the first one immediately returned to the field and played the next game. The second time he went through the protocol was after his bowl game against Clemson and was cleared although didn’t have a game until the following year. Never missed any time to concussions. And that was in 2016. NEVER missed a play in 2017 for concussions. After being hit maybe 100 times.

Rosen had two documented full fledged concussions in 2017. His first concussion he got knocked out of the Washington game, missed a full two weeks of practice and missed the Utah game. Missing two weeks and missing a game is brain rattling stuff. His second concussion kept him out of his Bowl Game a full MONTH after he sustained his second concussion. How rattled is your brain when you can’t play a month after incurring your second concussion. And how likely is it your next concussion keeps you out for 6 weeks? And the next 8 weeks. And the next...retirement?

This was in 2017. Baker’s alleged “concussions” happened in 2016 and never missed a snap in 2017 because of concussion. It’s a valid concern. And I love Rosen.

I’d be perfectly happy with any of Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield—I’d be less happy with Allen but I’d be rooting for him to become Superman.

Edit: The Allen tweets are concerning because at one point I thought the Browns would take him off the board. Now he’s there for Mac.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Darnold
    Rosen/Mayfield

I think all three of these guys are going to be franchise guys.

Although I think Mayfield would be the most entetaining and probably the guy I'd be most excited about drafting.

NCJetsfan likes this.