What is the Jets final top 3?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by King Koopa, Apr 25, 2018.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I disagree about Rosen, particularly his ability to handle failure. It isn’t as if he had a tremendously succesful college career from a wins/loss standpoint that he has to compare his NFL success to.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

No they don't, nor should that be the criteria in picking a long term answer at QB.

and fwiw, I wouldn't immediately start any of these guys.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forewarning. Rosen is very snappy with the press. Not that I give a shit about that but if the Jets want both a good will ambassador as well as a top QB he will fall short on the first criteria. But quite frankly, we have had some pretty polished and media savvy QBs over the years none of which was really worth a damned as a FQB. Just saying. It will probably take less than two months before he tells Metha to pound sand.

#63 LAJet, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  4. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Yeah but they were losing in shootouts while he was playing well....and he was always big man on campus since day 1 at UCLA

It's a much different animal in the NFL when things dont go your way on a personal level and you're getting your ass beat, fumbling, throwing picks, etc

He just seems kinda douchey to me in the interviews I've seen...I feel like you can get away with it if you're the undisputed star, but if he doesn't play so well I can't see grown men vets dealing with his attitude and BS

He will either need to mature OR light it up on the field out of the gates. Either scenario is possible but it's also possible this whole thing blows up on him

BacktoQueens likes this.
  5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Settle down you Mayfield fan boys are almost as bad as the Manziel ones.

FJF likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL I'm settled just fine, thanks.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I appreciate your perspective but I couldn’t disagree any more.

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

IMO, it's possible that Rosen outplays McCown and Bridgewater in training camp and preseason games by a good margin that he takes the starting job and never looks back. Assuiming that he's the pick of course. :)

9. BacktoQueens

Anything is possible I suppose, but I just wouldn't make this decision about 2018.

10. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Jets Top 3:

Sam Darnold
    Josh Rosen
    Baker Mayfield

My personal top 3:

Josh Rosen
    Sam Darnold
    Saquon Barkley

Not to say I'd want the Jets to draft Barkley at 3 given our QB needs, just I'd be silently wishing for a trade down if it meant still getting one of the other top QBs. To me, Allen is too much of a project at 3, while Baker Mayfield has started rubbing me the wrong way closer to the draft. I prefer Rosen's "Don't care where I'm picked as long as I go somewhere I can succeed" outspokenness compared to Baker's "I won't be picked later than here". That may be due to the Rex Ryan era, which I enjoyed initially, but wore thin as I got older. A lot of hype and bluster, but you sure as hell better back it up.

11. BacktoQueens

We are making the pick in the hopes of finding a QB for a dozen or more years.
    The ability to play in 2018 means very little in the grand scheme of things, so long as they are in fact a long term answer.

FJF likes this.
  12. BacktoQueens

I'm interested in Allen and Mayfield the most as prospects, but would also be happy to get Darnold.

The Jets top 3?
    I have no idea.
    They've shown the most interest in Mayfield and Allen, but everyone holding their cards close to the vest.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Right but remember the Johnsons want to see progress. If we throw out a QB who isn’t ready to play ASAP and we perform worse than 2017, the FO and CS are gone.

And to your point, I brought this same conundrum up a while ago. As the GM, its going to be difficult to draft a player who is good in the long run (and doesn’t perform well in the short term) over a guy NFL ready.

Again, just my opinion.

14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I'm interested in Allen as a prospect too

But thank god we're not the one's taking a chance on him.

15. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

If the worst happens and darnold and Rosen are gone what do we do? Personally I wouldn’t hate taking Barkley or Nelson in that case even though I know we gave up too much to move up to do that

16. BacktoQueens

It's likely Allen goes 1 or 2, but if not, there's a good chance the Jets could take him.
    They've shown a lot of interest, he fits the system, and fits the northeast weather.
    Someone on the east coast gave him a private workout.....no one knows who that was.
    it's possible.

17. forevercursed

They have shown the least interest in him compared to Rosen/Mayfield/Darnold. Allen is a very risky project who lack field vision, cannot make pre snap reads, has horrific accuracy. He's a good kid I'll give him that. But he needs a lot of time. 2 years. Early in the game they were very intrigued. But that was forever ago it seems

It's impossible he goes 1 or 2. Darnold is already picking out his Brown ties, signing Browns helmets, and most importantly...in contract negotiations with Cleveland

I don't think Allen goes to NYG. Not impossible but I don't see them taking a chance on him. They love Webb. Eli will play for another two years.

18. BacktoQueens

Is that true regarding Darnold and the Browns?
    I can't determine what's smoke anymore.

Your analysis on Allen is not shared by pro experts or football guys.
    He is going high in the draft.
    I tend to doubt the Giants will take him, but Denver or Buffalo could trade up as they both really like him.

And how do you figure the Jets have shown the least interest in Allen?
    If anything they've shown the least interest in Darnold, only recently getting a workout in with him just in case.
    They've attended everything they could with Allen, and it's quite possible the Jets are the East coast team who privately met with him under the radar (or Buffalo)..

19. forevercursed

And how do you figure the Jets have shown the least interest in Allen?
    If anything they've shown the least interest in Darnold, only recently getting a workout in with him just in case.
    They've attended everything they could with Allen, and it's quite possible the Jets are the East coast team who privately met with him under the radar (or Buffalo)..[/QUOTE]
    I just don't think the offense we're trying to implement, and the time frame under which he'll be ready (if he ever is) of 2 years doesn't suit us. Mac and Bowles don't have two years. They need to show results with a QB of the future this year. Allen needs to be coached up on a lot of things Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield already do quite well. It's a big gamble.

Plus we have no QB's on the roster for 2019. You can trust the other three will be fully ready by then (Rosen may be ready right now) you can't trust Allen will be ready by 2019

20. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

That makes me like him more. Somebody should wring rich ciminis neck

LAJet likes this.