What is Leinart now?

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by The Offseason, Feb 19, 2006.

1. The Offseason

The Offseason New Member

Now I didn't keep up with draft prospects too much last year, so I wouldn't really know that well but wasn't Leinart "the man" last year? Now all of the sudden its like nobody says his name anymore. I haven't heard anyone talking about Leinart at all? What, did this guy lose his sparkle, or what? Someone wanna fill me in here in the loss of popularity in Leinart, or did everyone just forget him.

2. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Matt was teh #1 lock last year. No he looks to be the #2, but only due to the team at #1. Texans have absolutely no interest in him. They will get Bush or trade down. If they were to get a QB it be home town boy Vince. So the first is out of the question.

He seems pretty locked in the 2nd to teh Saints. Which isn't that bad. With Brooks half way out and the Saints needed new light this seems pretty much all but done. No excitement, no drama. That's why no one has mentioned it. He will be Top 3 like he wouldn've been last year, he will still make his millions, and he's still compared to Brady.

Matt didn't disappear he merely grew up.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's not the flashy or risky pick anymore. He's just the sure pick and everyone who endorses Jay Cutler or Vince Young knows it they just want to have a difference of opinion. He is by far the second best player in the draft behind his bud Reggie Bush with Hawk third.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Still the second best player in the draft

5. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I heard the Leinart hype early this year, and I asked the people I trust on college football and they mentioned doubts they had on Leinart, and instead supported Bush. Then Bush got insanely popular as everyone knows. Personally, I always like to take a QB when you draft this high, so I've been high on Young and Cutler. I see too many weaknesses and question marks with Leinart. I'm sure other people will say the very same thing about my two choices. I really don't like how Leinart throws the ball, and I think his arm is weak. I think he has very questionable decision making, and he tries to run the ball when a play isn't there but fails at it. I think the Saints will actually take Young at the #2 pick, and the Titans hopefully take Leinart since the Norm Chow connection is there. Unfortunately, I think Leinart will instead drop to us, and we'll have Chad Pennington v. 2.0 except without the leadership and team skills. I hope I am wrong about this; I hope either we get VY or that Leinart turns out to be good for us. I just have no hope on that. But I root for the Jets, so if he is picked, I'll be rooting for Leinart to succeed. I think a lot of the VY haters need to figure out where their loyalties lie, because it looks like people want him to fail even as a Jet.

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Leinart would've went #1 overall last year, no doubt, had he entered. He's not getting talked about much because he's a lock to the Saints at #2 (and the draft is over two months away, too.)

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I think the "lack of buzz" is for 2 reasons:

1. Most view him as a lock to go #2 to the Saints.

2. Over the course of the past year, Bush, Young, and now even Cutler have become the new "Flavors of the Week"

He might not have the potential upside of a Vince Young, but Leinart is still very talented and with his experience and pedigree is as safe of a choice as there's been in recent memory. He doesn't have the one attribute that VY (legs) or Cutler (arm strength) that make you go wow, but he is very solid in aspects. I think his agility and arm strength are underrated by some and he's clearly proven to be a leader in the big spot.

Honestly I think the Saints and Leinart are a perfect match for both sides. When healthy the Saints have a very talented group on offense with McAllister/Horn and a good O-Line with Bentley, Jamaal Browne, etc. Next to Big Ben, Leinart would be entering as good of a situation (at least on the offensive side) as any rookie QB I can think of in recent memory. Leinart's ability to play right away is also what the Saints need with the talent they currently have.

8. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Leinart is still the BEST player in the draft, was last year, was most of this year too, minus a short time when the Bush hype was taking over the world. He does everything you could ever want a Quarterback to do, can make any throw, great accuracy, probably the best touch of any college passer I've ever seen, has the feet to escape trouble and slide in the pocket, makes great decisions, and is a true leader. Congratulations to New Orleans for the chance at taking him at #2.

9. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

Bingo.

Now that the Reggie Bush hype has calmed down (which I admit, I was a huge part of on this board); Why wouldn't you take Leinart? He can make all the throws, his arm strength is underrated, and is as close to a can't miss prospect at QB.

This is coming from a guy who's bashed Leinart a countless amount of times. Not a big USC fan. :wink:

10. lightning

lightning Active Member

GREAT POST