What if Rosen & Darnold go back to school?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by grkmanga31, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can see Darnold staying if he doesn't capture the Heisman or a National Championship because they could be a NC contender next year.

I don't see Rosen staying at all. His team is garbage as evidence by struggling against Memphis right now. They also got routed for 2.5 quarters against Texas A&M (although they came back) and A&M are now struggling and down vs. Louisiana. Who?!

legler82 likes this.
  2. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I like the Barkley + Line option too. I think the NO DEFENSE is overblown, though. In the first, absolutely not. If there's a gem sitting there in the second or third at a position of need, I don't see why not. I direct you to our nfl rushing/scoring/ypg defense rankings after Week 2. I'm also praying Mac doesn't reach for a mediocre tackle if there's a perennial pro-bowl center or guard sitting there.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

I guess it's a little bit extreme. But I'd rather try to build a dynamic offense than continue to work on the defense. Let's get three studs that can contribute to the offense and build around a potentially young signal caller.

We really should have enough on defense. The only position I'd really be alright with us taking on defense in the second is if there's an absolute stud inside linebacker there ala Eric Kendricks. This defense needs a leader but the two safeties were drafted to try to mask the deficiencies of weaker corners, no?

The defensive line is relatively set. We should be able to insert Deon Simon at nose tackle next year. Jenkins can hold down one linebacker spot if we stay in the 3-4. That really just leaves inside linebacker, one edge player and corners. Burris looks decent enough to play one of those spots for at least a season.

4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Why is everyone talking about drafting other positions other than QB if the Cali boys stay in school? I thought 2018 was the year of the QB; the year to tank prior to. The kind of QB class you pass on a guy like Mahomes for. When did it suddenly become a top heavy class being carried by 2 underclassmen?

Let this be a lesson to the "wait for next year's draft class" folks.

5. Hayden

Hayden Active Member

I’d say we’ll have a top 5 pick so wait and see who’s available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks! All those who said to pass on Mahomes, better hope he doesn't pan out and/or the Jets get someone better.

I'll put it this way: I would feel much better as a fan believing we already had our FQB, and didn't need to worry about tanking, which goes against my nature as a fan.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Cousins Brady Dak R Wilson are all exceptions,,,the ODDs are greater drafting a QB within top 3 or 5 especially on a good QB class

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Mahomes will turn out well. Andy Reid doesn't coach crappy quarterbacks. They don't always light the world on fire but they're always efficient and protect the ball for the most part.

13/19 years as a head coach Andy Reid's teams have ranked with the top 10 fewest interceptions. Only three times in his head coaching career have they been in the 20's in terms of most interceptions. One of those seasons McNabb got hurt and another one was with Michael Vick/Vince Young.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

EDIT - would prefer Adams / Kizer over Mahomes / Maye ...

2018 / 2019 look good though. Jets hopefully find the right QB with the team under the right circumstances

10. Jonathan_Vilma

The lower tiers of quarterbacks look very solid too. I'm going to go out on a limb and say at least one or two quarterbacks from these classes go on to be a quality starter in this league.

Mayfield and Browning provide a ton of personal success and winning. I liked what I saw from Riley Ferguson of Memphis when they played UCLA.

I don't like Luke Falk or Mason Rudolph because of the systems but I like them a bit if they're taken in the fifth or sixth.

Clayton Thorson (Northwestern) and Nick Fitzgerald (Mississippi State) don't put up gaudy numbers but they're both big strong kids with live arms.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Saquon Barkley.

Scratch that. You take him even if Rosen and Darnold are there.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. legler82

13. 101GangGreen101

Adams, Kizer, Hunt.

This game is fun, but I'm not leaving that draft without Adams or Hooker. Both have been good early on.

14. 101GangGreen101

Browning, I really like him but his arm is far too weak to be an NFL starter at MetLife. He's Kellen Moore part deux from Boise State a while back. He's going to.be a career backup.

I don't know what to make of Mayfield. Dude is a gamer, but also has limitations, size and questionable arm strength. However that guy competes week in and week out. If he can be had in the 3rd round, I would be highly interested.

Nick Fitzpatrick is also worth keeping an eye on, perhaps he'll steal Josh Allen's hype since they have very similar skillets.

Rosen, gotta find a way to get him. Otherwise take Mayfield in like the 3rd and look for a new qb next draft. Cousins doesn't sound bad either given we get someone like Barkley and fix the oline

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, because RBs are more important than QBs. :rolleyes: SMH

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

What if Rosen & Darnold go back to school?

ANSWER: Baker Mayfield, Mason Rudolph, and Luke Falk

I rate these three just as good and in many ways better.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If they stay in school, I don't think it will be to dodge the Jets. If anything, it would be to dodge the Browns or maybe the Niners. The Jets have some talent and look to be an up and coming team. If they stay in school, I think it's because they know that they have things they need to work on, improve in order to help their draft position. With the way each has played this year I don't think they would go 1-2 in the draft like projected before the season started.

18. legler82

I thought it was supposed to be strong this year.

19. 101GangGreen101

I still believe so.

Josh Rosen
    Lamar Jackson
    Baker Mayfield
    Josh Allen
    Mason Rudolph
    Ryan Finley
    Will Grier

I think you got 4 that will come out that will have a potential impact, depending on team. Then you got wildcards in Darnold, your boy Stidham who I really like as well and if he were to come out my rankings above would change.

20. legler82

Outside of Rosen, do you think any of those guys could be "our" potential franchise QB for the next 10-15 years?

EDIT: Rosen and the 2 wildcards are the only ones I see with franchise QB potential. If they all return to school, it's going to suck for us.

#40 legler82, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017