What if Rosen & Darnold go back to school?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by grkmanga31, Sep 15, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Was roaming twitter and came across a tweet stating that Adam Schefter was on a radio station (WEEI) or Boston Sports talk radio and said he continues to hear that both Darnold and Rosen may stay in school....Obviously its still early in the season but if this happens, it would be an absolute disaster for the Jets.

That begs the question, what do the Jets do if both opt to stay in school?

2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They should just continue to build the team with their 1st round pick and 2 second rounders.

LT, RB, WR, can you imagine Hack or Petty with weapons and a good running game?

Darnold and Rosen, who?

HAYN, NCJetsfan and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you put lipstick on a pig you don't get a pretty pig you get a pig wearing lipstick. :)

TonyFtLaud, Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Man, continue to fight that fight ...

But seriously, Rosen is going to come out - no realistic reason for him to stay in school should he produce. The QB crop however is strong the next 2 years.

5. grkmanga31

If they don't come out, I don't want to Jets to feel the need to draft a QB just to draft one. I think we should build up the o-line and get some edge rushers. But like 101 said, why would Rosen not come out? He almost came out last season but didn't feel it was right. Plus, his o-line mite get him killed if he stays. Granted the jets o line is ....not the greatest.

Leicester Jet, zace and Red Menace like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Then we get forced into what may be the right choice anyway,
    Lamar Jackson

Brook! and All Gas No Shake like this.
  7. Red Menace

The team has to be built whether Rosen or Darnold come out or not.

That's how Dak and Russel Wilson were able to have success, they were good coming out but they landed on teams that were built well and were one piece away from taking it to the next level.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Yeah, that's not us..we may be 53 pieces away.

9. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I think this is incredibly unlikely. There are other top QB prospects (John Allen, Lamar Jackson) worth considering still in the mix, even if Darnold/Rosen are the current frontrunners. That said, if the Jets aren't sold on them, the path forward is pretty clear:

Red Menace is essentially correct on strategy, if not on result, in this scenario. You grab Connor Williams in the first and a skill position upgrade somewhere shortly thereafter. (Nick Chubb? Falling WR talent?). Saquon Barkley is also an option here, I just think long-term you want to build around the OL more when we've seen plenty of deep RB classes.

On the other hand, the team will still get screwed because of how horrific our QB situation is. But, then the draft will come again in 2019, and we'll still be top-5 looking for a QB, and we'll grab whoever we feel is the answer then, and they'll have a more solid situation around them.

#9 wampa, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. Red Menace

You know me 101, it's not stubbornness, it's looking at what has worked and what hasn't in the NFL for over 40 years of my life.

I simply answered the question based on them not coming out, I don't want the Jets to reach for a QB. Who knows, they could find one in the 3rd or 4th round.

It's not the end of the world to build the team and develope a guy selected in the later rounds.

I bet Webb becomes a good QB for the Giants after Eli is gone, and I believe Connor Cook will see playing time with the raiders and he was a 4th round selection.

Cousins was a late round pick and he's on his way to becoming a FQB, I don't understand why everyone is so convinced that a FQB is only available with a top 5 pick.

#10 Red Menace, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    101GangGreen101 likes this.
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They can't go back to school forever.

The Jets are shaped up to be drafting in the top 10 for the next 3-4 years. It would be hilarious if they stayed in school to dodge the Jets only to be drafted by the Jets when the eligibility expired.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We've been posting on this site for a while now Red Menace, last thing I think of is you being a stubborn poster brothen. I agree, you have the correct line of thinking. You have to provide some sort of foundation before you go and throw a young QB out there. QBs tend to drop in drafts, and sometimes the best guy isn't the first guy drafted. We could look back in 5 to 10 years and actually say, "Cousins was a better QB then Luck" mainly because of Luck's team and his health. Dude is INT prone too ...

I used to pound on the table for Cook, and I still wish we still took him instead of Hackenberg, a few rounds later. Hack, really hurt my feelings this preseason!

I am just a little discouraged by the fact that we can't get any talent on this offensive line outside of Winters and Carpenter. I hope Shell improves on his run blocking. The RT should be above average in run blocking and has to have that nasty streak. I just look at Rosen and I think he's just the type of guy, the Jets need but I would rather try and get this line fixed before anointing the next big starter. I feel like the Jets can't do this in the next draft / FA alone. Can we get the pieces?

Leicester Jet and Red Menace like this.
  13. grkmanga31

Jets can draft a QB and also fix the o-line. With 80+ in cap space, and 2 picks in the second round, we absolutely need to fix the o line, or draft early and often. The whole thing is, will whoever is GM understand that you can't draft a young QB and expect them to flourish without immense help on o-line and WR. Jets need to build around that QB not just draft him and expect him to somehow elevate everyone around him instantly.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Red Menace

Serious question, how much of that 80 million has to be allocated to the draftees?

15. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

[deleted]

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Then we build up the offense regardless. Take Saquan Barkley then go offensive line with the two second round picks.

I don't want to mess around with Lamar Jackson honestly. I think he has the potential to be a good player in this league but I don't think he's the right fit for this team if the current staff is kept in place. We won't use him correctly.

Or maybe we take the top offensive tackle in the draft? Not sure if Trey Adams/Connor Williams are worth the pick. If they are then you take em much like we did with Brick and never look back. Many were clamoring for Leinart and Cutler but we stayed true to our board and it worked out.

NO DEFENSE. I do not give a shit about BPA.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Fold the franchise. ;):p

Brook! likes this.
  18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If no QB is available that is worth the pick then hopefully a franchise LT is available.

That said, Luke Falk.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i think lamar is a perfect fit for this team,he can survive behind a suspect line and make plays until we can get the line fixed.he's like a more accurate mike vick

20. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I had heard plenty of times that they may stay prior to this, but a lot of this is speculation. Schetty lost credibility jumping to espn anyway

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk