What did the Jets see in Hackenberg?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 26, 2017.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Never quite understood it, and I think it's a bad reflection on McCagnan. I remember when he was drafted all of us amateurs thought it was a terrible pick. Basically anyone who watched the kid play at Penn State knew he wasn't any good.

Sure some QBs have been successful who weren't great in college, but in today's game how can you justify drafting someone in the second round who just came off a year with 52% completion percentage?

I'm sure he's a great kid and has a strong arm, but I just don't understand how professionals in their field like McCagnan and the Jets scouts could possibility think he could play at this level after watching him in college. Someone please defend this pick!

Lee Savit, tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

What did @JethroTull see in this thought to think it deserved its own thread. Surely we have enough threads about hack and mac that this post would have fit well in. Was this so important that it needed to stand alone? Someone defend this thread?

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Never mind. It's pointless trying to explain it to you.

4. endydee

endydee Active Member

Hackenberg played well in college in a pro-set offense during his first year at Penn State. He was lauded as a top pick QB. Then his coach left, and the next coach changed offensive scheme. I believe the mindset was that if you returned Hackenberg to a pro-set offense he would again flourish. The outcome is yet to be determined.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

This is only thread #29 about Hackenberg. Why would you think that is too many?
    I mean it's not like there was a thread titled, why-the-jets-drafted-hackenberg, that answered the exact same question asked by the OP.

FJF likes this.
  6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Manish Mehta has been identified.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Hack may be a 2nd round waste of a pick but he sure does get alot of attention.

tbruner12 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

What did the Jets see in just about any of their QBs they drafted over the history of the organization? The real question is , why do moronic Trolls like the original poster find value in stalking a Jets message board?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

2nd only to josh Gordon around these parts

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I feel like the Patriots connection has a lot to do with it. Bill O'Brien saw a lot in him, and Belichick likely felt highly of him.

I just wish we took him in say the fourth rather than the second. It has put so much unneeded pressure on the kid to perform with hundreds of thousands of Jets fans expecting him to be much better than he may actually be.

I don't blame them for taking a stab at him though. A franchise that's had maybe two 'shots' at legitimate franchise quarterbacks since Joe Namath (Chad P. & Ken O'Brien IMO) will try anything.

It's almost like we were trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Oh everyone else thinks he's a 5th or 6th round prospect? We'll shock the world when we take him in the second and he turns into a world beater!

dmw and Cman68 like this.
  11. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I watched every game he played at Penn State (My sister is an alum and I became a casual/semi-serious PSU fan) . . . I always thought he sucked and I absolutely hated the pick when it happened. I don't see him becoming a good NFL quarterback. I hope I am wrong.

tbruner12 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think the team was a train wreck most of his years, so that didnt help him. I like a lot of things about him. I really do see what they saw, that doesnt necessarily mean he will pan out, but the potential is definitely there. As we have seen in the past, being successful in college doesnt always translate to pro success. But i see your side and what they saw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Skicats and slimjasi like this.
  13. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Could you not have popped this in any of the other 3001 Hack threads or at the least have read the ones that have been started and posted in, all the answers you seek will be found within their pages :rolleyes:

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I think the team was very poorly run when he had his shot.

I have seen and heard a lot of people suggest this, and I'm sure it's true, but can anyone think of any relevant examples of this happening? For whatever reason, I have this mental block in which I only remember the guys who were great in college but huge disappointments in the NFL, and not the other way around. lol

In general, I agree with you that he has promising physical tools. However, it has always felt like he just doesn't have a lot of confidence to me. I could certainly be wrong, and regardless, he could possibly build such confidence as his career moves along.

15. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its honestly like i wouldnt be suprised if he turned up a good or bad qb prospect. There are things i like and things i dont. I kept a stat sheet of every play last week, even before the 3rd qrt i wrote down hack wasnt ready. There were some things i like. Id rather he play slow and make the right decisions because the game will speed up for him in time. Its a much better sign then watching him force it ya. But then again I'm like, hes too slow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Forget Hack...look towards the future guys

if you want to scratch your heads about QBs I am watching the Pats vs Detroit on NFL Network and looking at Jimmie Garoppolo march them down the field for FG

At least 1/3 of this Board will say he wasnt worth it but as soon as that dummie Idzik let JG go he was immediately grabbed by Bellichek!

Same way Andy Reid took Mahomes...genius move by sharp Coaches

tbruner12 likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Macc went to Happy Valley and gave Hack a personal workout days before the draft. No one knows what he saw because its certainly ain't showing up. Now you have to ask will he continue to force Hack down the fans throat to justify his lousy pick? Do you want him making another high value QB pick? Why didn't he take one of the QB that came out this year.

NYJetsO12 and tbruner12 like this.
  18. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Obviously, the Jets still see something in him, otherwise they wouldn't be throwing him out there. I don't understand why they're so ready to hand the ball to Hack, but not to Petty who has actually looked pretty good at times. They must still see Hack as a potential franchise QB (and not see Petty as one). Unfortunately, last year was pretty much a complete wasted year for Hack - as third string QB he got very few reps.

19. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Please attempt to reinvent the wheel for us.
    Explain what you see since your superior QB knowledge exceeds reality.

20. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He was the highest rated QB in the draft that was left and after everyone in the Tri-State area cried that Mac should be fired for not taking Lynch in the first round he panicked and took the next QB on his list in the 2nd before the situation got even worse. If Jets fans didn't get a QB, they were going to have his head.

But there will be posters here who will defend Mac, saying people in the big times don't get nervous like that, as if being in the NFL somehow makes them immune to pressure.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk