What are the Jets 4 top priorities?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ColoradoContrails, Feb 17, 2017.

?

Name your four highest draft priorities

1. QB

35 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. RB

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. TE

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. WR

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. OL

44 vote(s)
    88.0%
  6. Pass Rusher

31 vote(s)
    62.0%
  7. OLB

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. ILB

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. CB

33 vote(s)
    66.0%
  10. Safety

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Exactly!!, 5th is QB too.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That was my point. Have to sit back and let the draft come to us.
    Can't reach for a LT at 6 but if Cook, Fournett, Williams or a QB the FO feels is a FQB is there, you take him. We may not need a RB for 2017 but Forte is near done and Powell, while our best option, is not likely even an option on most rosters so if that 10 year star falls to us ,we should take him.

3. TonyFtLaud

If that BPA CB is a long term star , then yes. If your talking a situation where you have a CB graded out the same as a LT , QB then you have to look at next years class and weight your options. Passing on a stud at any position other than maybe DE for a player simply because he is on the offensive side is just plain stupid.
    Again this roster has holes at every position except De and there will be more holes after players are cut. Little to no cap space and 6 draft picks are not rebuilding the roster in one off season. We can use all 6 picks on the o line and I guarantee you we will have holes on the o line to fill in 18. The draft has strengths and weakness and CB is a strength, o line the weakest position followed by QB.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes it all makes sense...but I will be sick to my stomach if the Jets don't trade down at 6 or grab a DB first thing with so many to choose from

I would much rather see us pick D Cook or Fournette ...those 2 are hardly a wasted pick and would have immediate impact

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

I think that Mac will look to trade back depending on how the board falls and if he finds a partner looking to trade up to 6. Adding a pick would be Ideal .
    I'm onboard with Cook or Fournett as I agree that they would make an immediate impact and fill an area of need for years to come. I prefer Cook over Fournett as I think he is a better back and is great as a reciever out of the backfield and is also an excellent blocker.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Who's Bubba?

7. boozer32

Yeah I was in shock the Jets passed on Marino. He sure made them pay for it. He torched the Jets for over a decade.

8. boozer32

The only thing I can say it has to be Woody. Even Al Groh left after 1 year. Herm was overwhelmed and full of himself. Never been a defensive coordinator but wanted to shoot right to the top. He couldn't even manage the clock, had to hire a clock coach.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

LOL you will see him on the sidelines trying to coach on opening day

Red Menace likes this.
  10. boozer32

My thoughts exactly. Every coach Woody hired has been a defensive guy and its been a 90% disaster. Only Parcells and Rex had any success. This team is unbalanced talent wise. They have used 1st round picks on defense and when they have gone offense in the prime round (1-3) its a project (Geno, Hackenberg) or a disaster (Hill, Smith, Amaro). They really need an influx of offensive players. Macc has a tough job this year and I hope he can pull it off but I don't think so. He needs to move on from Hackenberg and try and get another QB in here, then get some offensive pieces for the new OC (possibly next head coach). Hopefully a functioning TE, a dependable RB and then try to figure out what he is gonna do with Marshall and Decker. The OL has to be addressed too. Tough job.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It is not like our defense is all that much better than the offense.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think where the defense is well ahead of the offense is in the quality of players they have. The problem on "D" is lousy coaching. Give that same group to BB and I bet they're a top 10 "D" at least. You can't say the same about the "O" (although BB would make them much better than they are). So that's why I'm so hot for drafting and signing more "O" talent - for decades they've been the "red headed step-child" (apologies to any red headed step children) on the Jets. I know they need to upgrade the "D", but the offense needs more help.

boozer32, NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Ok, I have been watching a lot of tapes and videos on Mahomes and based on what the experts like Shanahan and former NFL quarterback say, I can see how he fits the mold as a future FQB and why you like him so much.

The one thing that stands out to me, other than his arm strength and ability to make all the throws, it's how little he looks to run the ball. When he scrambles to extend the play, its with the mind set of making a play downfield.

That was the one intangible that the retired coaches and players highlighted about any QB going into the NFL. Compared to Watson, Trubinski and Kizer who all rushed for a lot of yards, Mahomes instinct after scrambling was to look downfield and pass first. I think that will help him a lot and elevate his status on the draft boards of many teams.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. I am not a fan of Trubisky.

2. Drafting Ryan Ramczyk at 6 is a major reach. If Jets can trade down and stay around 14 or so, I'd go with this kid, but other than that, I'm looking elsewhere. He does have hip surgery, even though the doctors found out that the injury wasn't all that severe. And he lacks top-level competition. [Which means - nothing. If Jets OL coach is good enough, that is.] My preference at this particular moment [2/20] is to trade down and grab this kid. If a team approaches to trade up and grab Fournette, it would be a tough call, but I'd take it if I can still take this kid after the trade.

3. OG for top ten pick = stupidity

Moreover Jets don't have a pressing need at OG. Winters has grown substantially, and James Carpenter looks like a very good pickup. [Hopefully Mac locks up Carpenter for a long term contract.]

4. As of right now, I'd think Jets WR is filled, but if they do pick Mike Williams, I won't be mad.

5. If Jets don't trade down, probably the best pick is Leonard Fournette. This means they will have to fill the OT spots through FA.

6. Myles Garrett is not falling to us, so I am counting that option out.

BomberJet likes this.
  15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Jets have a tough decision to make at 6 if a player they like falls into their laps but many teams are ringing the phone off the hook. They have to be careful not to trade down too far and miss out on Cook or Fournette.

Would be interesting to see what the Jets do if , by some miracle, Garret does fall to them.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

every year it seems, the priority list is the same. Ugh.

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

gonna have to get a sapp or tunsil style bong video to surface about 12 hours before the opening pick. that MAY be enough to get him down to 6.

BomberJet likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Garret is still a top 3 pick after the combine he's no way no how getting down to the Jets unless he gets arrested the week of the draft.

I know you could have said that about Leo Williams too but there were two hot QB's in the 2015 draft and there are not two hot guys in this draft. It would take Watson, Trubinksy and Kizer all getting taken in the top 5 for there to be any chance that Garret gets down to the 6 and really even then it would just make some other team very happy with him before that point.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

For this specific draft my top 4 [in no order] are

1 - DB
    2 - Pass-rusher
    3 - Lineman
    4 - O-Line

Not going to draft a QB this year, will work with Hack / Petty and continue to build the roster with the best players. At this time, if the Jets stand pat at 6, I think there are the best 5 options @ 6:

1 - Reuben Foster
    2 - Malik Hooker
    3 - Jamal Adams
    4 - Derek Barnett
    Would rather trade down then select:
    5 - Leonard Fournette

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You've made your bias for defense clear, so I don't expect to change your mind, but why do you think the defense is more important than the offense this draft? You're targeting impact players for the "D", but passing over a possibly bigger impact player for the "O". In other words, you're stating that you believe in drafting BPA, and that the BPAs available at #6 are all "D". I respectfully disagree, but you knew that already.

NYJetsO12 likes this.