What Are The Expectations of the 2018 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 20, 2018.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I think 8-8 would be a miracle season where everything goes right for us. if we get to 8-8 bowles should be givena 5 year extension.

i think reasomable expectation should be 4-12 to 6-10. we overachieved last year, hard to do that again especially if we are playing QB carousel with mccown/teddy/darnold.

my guess is we are right around 5-11 again

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  2. jerseyjay14

How many NFL teams have less talent then we do? not many. would be great if teddy or darnold can plug the issues at QB right away... but even if they do, they would be surrounded by dog turd, especially on offense.

We have the least talented group of skill players in the NFL and at best an avg offensive line

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I expect Josh McCown to play well again, and improvements made on defense.
    Team still needs a lot more talent, but we should still be in the playoff hunt entering the 4th quarter of the season.

If they decide to insert Darnold earlier in the season, then my expectations would change.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The BEST drafting GM's draft good players that play well right from their rookie seasons. Players like Vilma, Harris, Leon Washington, Revis, Mangold,etc. It's players like them that put the Jets in position to win to go to the SB.

Drafting "projects" , players that COULD be great a few years down the road, are excuses shitty GM's make so they can collect more paychecks.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I get your points, but a 3rd straight (5-11) season would be unacceptable. The talent is better on this year's roster, thus they need to improve. I've posted before, they won 5 games last year, but had several other close games they lost. They need to win those games this year. In close games, coaching can be the difference. (8-8) wouldn't deserve a 5 year extension, but it would allow Bowles to likely keep his job if it looks like the Jets are trending up.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Has the roster really improved that much for 2018?

I don't expect much from the draft picks this season, they were selections more for the long term.
    And some of the FA's we brought in were offsetting to players we lost, ie replaced Davis with Williamson, Forte with Crowell, Wilkerson with draft picks, etc..
    We also lost ASJ and Ealy without much in the way of replacement.
    I'd say the major net improvements were Trumaine Johnson, Long, and getting Enunwa back.

All in all it's not enough for major improvement in 2018 imo, but trending in the right direction.
    8-8 would be pretty good.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's a big year for Bowles, he needs to show improvement in his in game decision making and realize that 1980's style football doesn't work in 2018. As you said, he needs to have the team on the upswing to finish the year. Macc needs to build around Darnold next offseason. I'd say that his job is safer because he got a highly touted QB this year.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So disagreeing with your draft strategy = mac is the greatest gm ever?
    Moving on, there is no intelligent discussion to be had here

#168 FJF, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  9. FJF

Completely agree that the d line selections should raise some eyebrows. We’ll see how it plays out. But mac is definitely leaving himself open for some criticism if the o line doesn’t improve or worse starts regressing

KurtTheJetsFan and CotcheryFan like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, 8-8 is a fine expectation. I didn't say they were a Super Bowl team, but they should be able to compete week in and week out. They won 5 games last year. Had close games with the Patriots, Dolphins, Falcons, Panthers, Chargers with Petty, and laid eggs against the Broncos and Buccaneers. Plus Week 1 was an odd game with so many new faces against the Bills. That is 8 more winnable games. I am not saying they will go (13-3) but it is reasonable to expect a solid season with a potential playoff push. If not, it means the coaching staff is not working.

Now if you throw Darnold in from Week 1, it is all different since he will be a rookie, so we will see.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. jerseyjay14

We overachieved last year. that was 2-3 win talent. this year is better, but still we have one of the 3 worst rosters talent wise in the league. arguably the worst skill players/offense in the league. 5-11 wouldnt be a disappointment and 6-10 should be looked at as a very good year.

Bowles is trash. but this team winning more then 6 games would be just short of miracle work

The Dark Knight, Jets_Grinch and FJF like this.
  12. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

8-8 is basically the floor for my expectations for our 2018 New York Jets. Anything less and I will be looking for some changes to the entire coaching staff, not more stability. Woody and Christopher Johnson's message to the coaches should be, win 8 or more games or hit the bricks.

Jay Bizniss likes this.
  13. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Worst skill players? Pryor, Enunwa, Anderson, Kearse is an above average WR core. I would put them in Top 15 receiver groups in the league. RB's are probably below average, although I think Powell can get the rock 25+ times a game and ball out. TE's I agree, thats an unknown. But I think he have the potential this year to be a Top 15 offense if Darnold is who we think he is.

LF911SC likes this.
  14. Not one of those WRs is a consistent playmaker from week to week.They maybe better than what weve had compared to the last few years but they are not anywhere close to an upper echelon unit.

There isnt a single player on offense who can be counted on for big playsproduction on a week to week basis except for Perhaps Darnold.

We are going to need a true #1 go to moving forward whether it’s a WR/RB or TE.And TE/RB are acouple injuries/Disappointments away from being expansion team level

15. FJF

Which qb inspires you to think 8-8 is attainable?
    Serious question

16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think it's gotta be a toss up between the 40 year old journeyman coming off an injury who's never had a winning season, A 20 year old rookie, and the guy trying to return from a horrible potentially career ending knee injury.....

Sounds like a lock to me

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

lol, a 5 year extension with 4 straight years of no playoffs? Are you high?

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that it (the talent level) has improved that much. I also think it's not just about talent level. We had a lot of rookies and young players last season. They have a year's or another year's experience now, experience in our system and playing together. That should help tighten things up. Communication should be better, and there should be fewer mental mistakes and blown coverages.

I disagree that the selections were more for the long term.

On defense, Davis was a nice story last season, but I'd have been shocked if he was able to repeat that level of play this season. Williamson should be able to provide the same level of play. Crowell is a big improvement over Forté. We got almost nothing from Wilkerson last season, so if Anderson can stay healthy for at least 7-8 games and contribute at his normal level, it's an upgrade. According to what Bowles said, both Shephard and Fatukasi should be part of the DL rotation THIS season and should make some impact. If they make any at all, it will likely be more than what we got from Wilk last season. If indeed both are able to play early and contribute, the Jets will have much better depth and versatility on the DL and should be much better at stopping the run.

Adams and Maye have a year's experience in our system and should play at a higher level this season, and we should see more big plays from them.

Johnson should help our secondary as should retaining Claiborne if he can stay healthy. With his speed and ball hawking skills, adding Nickerson could pay immediate dividends.

Our depth at ILB should be a lot better and we should get better production from that spot. Our STs coverage units should be better with added speed and experience.

With the exception of a couple of games, I'm not sure that Ealy gave us that much. ASJ was a disappointment. Potentially, we have a better and deeper TE corps. How much better remains to be seen. Tomlinson is a good blocker and decent receiver. If Leggett can stay healthy, he should make a good contribution. Herndon is coming off injury, and is still a little raw, but is talented and has some speed. If Walford is on the team, he has produced at a higher level than ASJ has. If Bates does use the 2 TE offense regularly, we could see a lot more production from the TE position this season.

On offense, getting Enunwa back should help our offense a lot, as should having Long/Swanson at C and maybe LG. Having Winters healthy should also make a positive difference on the OL. If Clark is healthy, we'll see what he has to offer. With a year's experience, we'll see if Jones has anything to offer. We'll see if another year of experience helped Roberts and Burris. McGuire should be better with a year's experience, and we'll have Donahue back. He looked he could provide a spark as an edge rusher.

In Flowers, we have a real honest-to-God WCO FB who can block, run and receive. He should make a good addition to our offense and help in a myriad of ways.

Finally, having Teddy Bridgewater to possibly supplant McCown or if nothing else, be a huge upgrade over Bryce Petty should have an impact as well. If Darnold plays, he could have an impact either up or down. Barring major injuries, if Bowles is any kind of coach at all, and has learned anything, 8-8 should be within reach, but that would probably be the ceiling. Depending on who starts at QB, I think 6-8 wins is reasonable.

If Cannon is our returner, he could make an immediate impact with his speed. Even if it's Whitehead or Roberts, the returns should be better than the last 2-3 seasons.

#178 NCJetsfan, May 14, 2018
  19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%...Leave it to homer Jets fans to talk their players up. Talking to some of these people on here, you would think this is a team full of all pros....

20. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I don't ever get an overwhelming sense that people here talk the players up and leave me thinking that they're making them out to be all pros.

I do read a lot of over the top nonsense about WRs being nothing, the OL being in shambles or those who just know in the middle of May that Darnold can't win 6 or more games. Never mind that McCown won 5 without Enunwa, a full camp and season from Kearse, in 13 games.

I find it interesting when I read how McCown sucked balls yet somehow he managed to have two WRs who came up just short of 1000 yard seasons while not playing full seasons. Yet those WRs suck balls also.

I like reading fans who realize this more than those who always downgrade the roster

#180 LF911SC, May 14, 2018
    Brook! and Walt White like this.