What Are The Expectations of the 2018 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 20, 2018.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I think a lot of Jets fans would be hyped by an 8-8 season and I would be one of them. Darnold will play at some point this season. Hoping they are competitive in most games and show signs of a potential breakout in 2019.

LF911SC and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I agree depending on the number of games Sam starts effects the predicted outcome of wins. I don't know if wins will be a factor in Bowls coming or going this year. I see things more being based off the progression of his defense and the development of Darnold. If both show continued progress throughout the year it may be enough. I would expect Sam to win us a game or two due to his skill and lose us a few due to inexperience.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

This team reminds me a little bit of how the Seahawks were right before they became a real contender. You could see the talent but they were so young and just not quite there yet, then suddenly exploded into relevance. Hopefully the Jets experience similar success.

4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I have shock the world à la the 1999 Rams Super Bowl expectations on our 50th anniversary of Super Bowl III.

101GangGreen101, FJF and Jay Bizniss like this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

3 wins..too funny lol

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I can see them winning between 6 and 8 games this year, but trying to figure that out is mental masturbation because injuries are going to decide how things go this year, as they do every year, and those you can't really predict. Injuries to the Jets and injuries to their opponents.

The gift that keeps on giving is the stupid practice rule from the most recent CBA travesty.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, agreed 100%.

Sounds good to me!
    Great points. Hard for young guys to get better at football, if they are not allowed to practice football.

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Jets exploding! 9/11 disrespectful moron idiot! Remember that Seattle Seahawks fan who posted that crap thing about the Twin Towers! It was probably you! Thanks for outing yourself!

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69 :mad:

Disclaimer: I am not making light of 9/11 nor would I ever do so. That Seattle fan deserved all of the vitriol he got. He should've gotten even more.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

With Todd Bowles as our HC this season will be the same as last season 6-10 or somewhere in that area :mad:

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  10. geomon

geomon Well-Known Member

A winning season this year. Playoffs next year.

11. The Dark Knight

That would not be good enough!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Bowles would be 0-4 as HC in Bringing a NYJ Championship to the NYJ's:mad:

Mr mittens likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Campaigning has always been illegal in the TGG Forum awards. Figured I'd let you know since you are now obsessed with it.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Seeing Darnold play and improve over the course of the season is way more important than wins to me. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Bowles.

14. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Darnold is a lot farther along than people think. I wouldn't rule it out that he wins the job outright. Doesn't mean they'll start him right away but I would be shocked if he's not the full time starting QB by week 6 or so.

There are some things that need cleaning up but a lot of what he does that looks a bit odd is simply unconventional and not something totally detrimental.

I also believe he's incredibly intelligent and a quick study. Just a flat out smarter person and a harder worker than Geno and Sanchez. And he's not fragile either. If he starts week 1 and struggles...he'll still end up being great. And if they decide to baby him and ease him in...he'll end up great that way too.

The fumbling need to be nipped in the bud. However the INT issue I believe is a bit overblown. Basically he started the year throwing 6 picks in 3 games. After that he threw 7 in the Trojans last 11 games (compared to 19 touchdown passes and 4 rushing TD's)

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't know who this Seattle fan is, but I would absolutely lay him out in an Applebee's parking lot. Hell, I'd probably do it in the parking lot of Ruby Tuesdays also.

Harpua likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the worst thing Jet Mgmt. can do at this point is to gas up the fanbase into believing this team can contend for the VLT or even the post season at this point. It puts undue pressure on both QB's, the new OC and OLC implementing new systems by raising expectations to an unreasonable level.
    If this team duplicates 5-11 again, I agree that the floodlight should shine brightly on both Macc and Bowles. Anything between 7-9 and 9-7 would IMO represent reasonable improvement overall.

2018 is too soon for a quantum leap. 2019-2020 should be the time frame where Macc's vision and Bowles' coaching either bears fruit or gets flushed.

#116 Cman68, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I've already chimed in on this right after the draft, but I'll do it again here. I respect what you're saying, but I do think it is playoffs or bust. Or at least it should be? This team is still no better than 5-11. All Mac has done is replace what was lost through FA and one sole improvement at CB. Meanwhile, decreasing the level of talent at defensive line. Our smallish type linebackers must be block free to make plays. The defensive line Mac has assembled is going to suck. Blockers will get to the second level and annihilate little runts like Darron Lee. This front 7 will be exploited in the run game. They will average giving up over 100 yards per game. This defense probably won't rank any better than last season, around 25th or worse.

On offense the OL and TE is either very suspect or virtually non-existent. It's easy to think Josh McCown won't play anywhere near as well as he did last season, therefore they have no short term solution at QB. This is still an offense that cannot compete for 4 quarters.

On ST I figure they improved but certainly not enough to make a huge difference?

All in all, this is not a team that's ready to fire in all phases in the game. A bad CS that has proven to be incompetent. What's clearly the worst is our GM has no mandate for the playoffs. If this team goes 5-11 again like I estimate they will, Mac won't get fired for 3 abominable failure seasons. The fact is there isn't a single instance of any other owner giving the front office this many chances? Playoffs is not an expectation this season. Jets fans had better get used to that idea.

Honestly, the real standard for excellence in this league is our nemesis. After 3 seasons being in town Bill Belichick would have already had this team in the playoffs twice at least. Belichick would not like or accept this team that Mac has put together. He would know just by looking at them on paper they would suck.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

We will be better team in 2018 than last year but it might not show on the record. Last we our record was better than the level of play. It would be easy to take a step back. But what makes me think we might improve on our record is our easy early schedule. Winning against bad teams improves confidence and makes a team better. My expectation is 5 to 7 wins. Next year is about getting to 2019. We might surprise but my expectations are low on being competitive but more about the excitement of developing a young QB who could potentially could sit all year. The expectations for the year will mainly be about when does Darnold play and how does he look. Will it be week 8, 12, 17? When will he play? That is what 2018 is all about?

19. The Dark Knight

We will see how they play on the field, but hopefully they are better than that. That is a tough position to have, where you say Playoffs or Bust, then say this team's roster is (5-11) at best. Better hope they overplay their talent level, because if they underachieve it could be an ugly season that ends with them cleaning house. I am more optimistic, but there is definitely a chance the Jets have another bad season.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If it’s November and no one is trying to figure out what we need to do to get the top pick I’ll be satisfied.

But 8-8 is not unrealistic.