What Are The Expectations of the 2018 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I think you're right

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

If the rookie QB is ready to go, then I have no problem starting him Day 1. I am one of the guys that like to let a QB sit 1 or 2 years. It worked great for guys like Chad Pennington and Aaron Rodgers. Not sure the situation is the same with the Jets though, as there is no clear cut starter head of them. Not to mention times have changed in the NFL and many rookies start these days. I hope you are right and Bowles starts the best QB.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The QB has to prove it too, not just in practice but in the preseason, I think it takes a lot of earn Bowles trust in terms of the starting QB position, in which could be a flaw but at the same time precautionary and smart. Doesn't exactly know when to pull the plug, but know when someone isn't ready. The trust is gained, I think you see decent passing attempts from the QBs. McCown and Fitz had good years. In retrospective, it is very anti-Rex.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Don't put it all on Bowles. I am sure Bates will have a big say in who he thinks is capable of starting. As QB coach I am sure if the rookie looks good in training camp & has a good pre season he will eventually work him into the lineup, or even start day 1. If we Draft Allen you can be sure he will be holding a clipboard all season. If we Draft Rosen, I can see him cracking the lineup sometime early this season.

#65 BudJet, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  6. The Dark Knight

Yeah, good call with Jeremy Bates. Since he is running the offense for the first time, he likely will have a pretty big say at who starts at QB. Obviously we are just talking about 2018, as the main goal is to have the #3 overall pick start and lead the franchise for a long time. Just not sure if it will be 2018. Hopefully he does look great and they put him in the lineup this season. I'd love it, as would many fans.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My only problem with starting the rookie day one is the risk of his getting injured behind our subpar OL. I'd rather they wait a few games and give the OL a chance to gel

Cman68 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

They have nothing at QB right now.

McCown is a loser he had a career year in 2017 that's the best the team could do with him. You think he's gonna age like a fine wine at 39? Good chance he takes a step back in 2018 worst case he hits the wall and is done.

Our best hope for a surprise season is Bridgewater starting and playing well thing is I didn't think Bridgewater was all that before the injury. After the injury & close to two years away from the game expecting Bridgewater to light up the league is wishful thinking I think.

It's clearly not about 2018 for the Jets but if they get this QB pick right there will be many fun Sundays after 2018 ahead for Jets fans.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't think we can gauge our progress by our won/loss record. I will be happy if our defense becomes good. If Williamson fills in well for Davis. If Johnson and Clairborne become a top CB duo. If Maye and Adams keep developing. If we find a pass rusher in Donahue, Mauldin, Martin or anyone. If Lee makes strides into becoming a good ILB.

On the offensive side I will be happy if Enuwa comes back playing to his 2016 level, Robinson stays out of jail, if one of the TE develops, if Shell develops into an average RT, if Long becomes our best OL and upgrades the guard play around him, if Bridgewater shows promise and if our rookie shows signs of being a FQB.

I don't care what our record is. I want to see us play hard, competitive but most of all see players develop. I would love to see some of our young players take a step forward. Last year I was hoping Burris, Shell and Lee would all become long term starters. Sadly, neither has claimed such a position.

#69 Noam, Mar 22, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I'd say 8-8 or 7-9 with a definite FQB and expectations to compete for the playoffs in 2019.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

The Jets could have Lombardi and Walsh and Johnson would still screw it up. This is a guy who paid consultants to hire Idzik. Let that sink in.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Ask me in 5 months. I think depending on who the QB is and whoever else they end up drafting, the Jets can put together a decent season. I can live with an 8-8 season (give or take a game) if they have a rookie QB starting. If we're playing a vet, then 8-8 season is a failure. Either suck for a high pick or make the playoffs.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, I will bump this thread in August when most of the 2018 puzzle pieces are in place. :)

Cman68 likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

#JoshRosen2ChadHansen

gonna be the new white lightning connection ... eat your heart out Brady and Welker

The Dark Knight and Walt White like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Sounds good to me. Josh will definitely be throwing to Hansen this year. Now will it be McCown, Rosen or Allen? That, I am not sure.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Might want to add Donahue to the stays out of jail category too. Second DWI in 10 months, both caused accident and injury, both well in excess of the legal limit.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

They also could have easily lost the games to Jacksonville, Cleveland, and Kansas City, and weren't beating New Orleans or New England on the road with McCown starting anyway (has everyone forgotten how awful he was against Denver?). McCown had a career stretch of 12 games, and barring a miracle comeback by Bridgewater I don't see the Jets having a QB playing at that level this year.

18. The Dark Knight

The Jets dominated the Jaguars game, if not for McCown's lateral, it is not close. Cleveland they should have lost, I agree, and Definitely give McCown and the offense overall credit for that Chiefs win. Great game.

It's funny saying you don't see the Jets getting that level of QB play this year, when McCown was not that good last year, but I get exactly what you mean. Yeah, hard to know. Hopefully Bridgewater or the the rookie QB can do that, plus hopefully the team around the QB plays better. Highly unlikely McCown repeats himself. Also worth noting Bates taking over at OC. His scheme could boost the offense too. Lots of moving parts.

19. NCJetsfan

Quote possibly none of the three. Teddy might just beat McCown out, and the Jets' 3rd QB's first name may just be Baker. ;):p:cool:

20. NCJetsfan

I expect our STs to do a lot better on returns seeing how we have 6 returners on the roster at the moment. LOL I do like the commitment (finally) to insuring that we have a competent return man. Only took Bowles and Mac 4 offseasons.