What Are The Expectations of the 2018 Jets?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Mar 20, 2018.

1. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Sam fucking Darnold that's who! There is no need to keep setting the bar low. That's a scared to win mentality. Time to win at least 8 or clean out your desk and go back home to loserville.

LF911SC likes this.
  2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'll raise you one, time to win 9 or fire everybody..better yet fire everybody anyway. Two out of 4 years with 100M to spend and top draft choices 3 out of 4 years so if you can't have a winning season by now you should be fired, you would be anywhere else.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

They've had 1 season with 100 Mil to spend, this offseason. They've been here 3 seasons. One was a winning season.

Very few staffs with what they had to work with get fired after 3 losing seasons and are going through a complete rebuild.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This was their 4th offseason, not their third and they had what, 80M season 1..ok shoot me. The offseason occurs before the season, not after it. Or to make it easier, their 1st round pick in their first year was Williams, in their second it was Lee, in their third it was Adams and their 4th is Darnold.

#184 Don, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. LF911SC

Three isnt four. By a long shot. And one was a winning season.

They also inherited a team that had that cap room because the previous regime left half a rooster to this one.

You have to look at the entire picture, not look too be shot

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I like darnold but this isn’t the 2009 jets built to carry a rookie qb. You don’t play him expecting anything other than growth for the future. Sure as hell don’t drop a win or else on him

7. 24th in points,28th in yards & 24th in passing offense. Every offensive statistic was inferior to the on foeld opposition..every single one.Does the fact that WRs almost got 1000 yds make it any better?Does the fact that it was w Mccown make it a positive sign?I have a hard time seeing those stats,comparing the current offensive roster compared to 4 years ago & find any bright spots esp considering this is the 3rd OC in 3 years time!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. LF911SC

Nice. Did you factor in Petty for 3.5 games?

And yet I said they have talent at wr, with Enunwa coming back. But hey, rankings mean more than answering the post when you're complain about fans here making people into pro bowlers. Your comment.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would say the schedule is a main reason for me.
    At Jaguars and Patriots will be really tough, hosting the Vikings, Texans, Packers and Patriots won't be easy, but the rest are truly toss ups to me. Going (6-10) or worse would be a big disappointment. The Jets are not that much worse than the Lions, Dolphins, Browns, Broncos, Colts, Bears, Titans, and Bills to have such low expectations. Losing the majority of those games would make me feel there needs to be a coaching change.

10. Well i think in this case the rankings provide perspective. They arent the be all end all.But you were just waxing poetically about 2 “almost” 1000 yd receivers & Josh Mccown. Despite all of that this was a bottom 3rd offense & passing attack. I would hope we’d strive for a bit more than that output not even accounting for the fact that the QB in question is an injury prone 38 year old journeyman.

I had higher expectations for addressing the offense & more specifically the passing game when this regime came on.When you look at the roster compared to most other teams,watch the games & see the numbers its very hard to objectively say that offense has been a priority when compared to the defense.Its not all doom & gloom..the QB is in the fold & we have some ammunition for 2019 but im extremely disappointed w the offense at this moment.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

To me, how they lose those games matters.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

more i think about this the more i think darnold will be in there sooner rather than later (midway pt of season at latest) which may translate into a 4 win season BUT may be the foundation many of us have waited decades for.

so nobody is getting fired and the geniuses at the top of the organization will have another offseason to build around their new QB. Something we practically never have the opportunity to do. Usually we are looking for the QB and not building around one.

FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's true. For instance 2016's (5-11) was embarrassing, where as 2017's (5-11) was impressive. It's not just cut and dry with numbers, I agree.
    Yep, Darnold starting changes expectations. If he is ready, I think fans would rather watch him go (5-11) than watch McCown go (7-9). That is why I think Darnold likely starts as soon as Week 1. Like you said: takes pressure off of Bowles and Mac, at least for 2018, too.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Until the Jets prove otherwise, this team is what their record says they are. 5-11. A shit team that's at the bottom of nearly every statistic in every phase of the game.
    There's also no reason to think they're any better right now? Everyone is touting areas that they seem to have improved? What about all the areas they very clearly got worse in and everyone is failing to mention that? Bottom line here is Jets fans are complete liars and you cannot possibly get the objective truth from those homers. We have poor leadership in this organization and they are very seriously challenged in doing their jobs. 5-11 3 seasons straight pretty much proves that beyond debate.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I think we improved at Corner, improve at WR with the return of enunwa, I do expect a decline at TE unless one of the young guys steps up. We still won't have any sacks at all though nor any semblance of a pass rush. Running back is probably gonna improve as one of Rawls or Crowell should be good.

I think this team did improve in talent but my prediction stays at 5-11 or 6-10 due to schedule

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Our young jedi getting trained by obi one

NYJetsO12 and Walt White like this.
  17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Prolly improved at Center also and I'm expecting Shell to be better. Overall depth might be a little better too.

7-9

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like @stinkyB said, we’re either starting a 40y.o journeyman with a career losing record who had a career year last year but never played a full season and you have to expect a regression back to the mean there, a once promising but unspectacular qb coming off of 2 years on the shelf with a career threatening injury it a 20yo rook,who while looks promising you’d expect a big learning curve from. Look at the schedule, we will have the 2nd best qb in every game we play at best. In this league, that means you’re going to lose more than you win.
    The only way I am disappointed in this season is if we don’t look like a 2019 playoff threat when it ends.
    This years about growth, wish it wasn’t, but the timeline got all screwed up when Mac had to placate the billboard crew and fitz came in and did his usual. But maybe it turns out ok because Sam makes it worth it.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

The NFL nearly took the team from them due to infighting

fwiw Handley never made the playoffs though I think that was only 2 years

20. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Well - Where are we within the AFC East?

Last season I had to horrible feeling that after weighing up the rosters that we were certainly 4th, Patsies top by a mile and Jill/Finns a toss up depending on the bounce of the football.

This year, I think we might be second with fins in Tannehill freefall and the Jills having to choose between douche/turd at QB. I also don't think the gap to the Patsies is that huge considering some of the parts they lost in the off-season but obviously they are still out in front due to the fact they have 5 or 6 all-stars and BB.

With the rub of green - I could easily see us going into the bye within one game of the Pats.

Minimum 5-11, Maximum 9-7