Were the Scouting Reports Right? - Darron Lee

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 21, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

nobody is perfect. we tend to over-critique our own players. it's funny becuase very few teams fans do that. most tend to overrate their players. he's started 24 games in 2 years for us and has a total of 164 tackles 5 sacks and 2 FF
    in his 2nd year he started 15 games (bowles sat him for 1 game as part of his gameplay) and he still had 94 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 PDs, and 2 FF. by any measurement that's a solid season for an ILB. sure it's not pro-bowl level but to say the guy is a bust is a joke

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He is bad. I watch him play and I do not see an NFL linebacker. And it has nothing to do with his size or his heart. (and that's the scary part because he isn't very big and he lacks commitment at times)

It is sooooo easy to take advantage of him! take one back/receiver in motion across his sight line and then slip the other back/receiver down and out right AT him. He will bite on the motion every single time. Easy first down.

Not only that but you can use it in the running game as well so its not just a passing game deficiency. All it takes is a step. Run a misdirection or a fake before handing it off and he bites every time. Linebackers don't do that. 28 NFL games and he's still doing it. that is long enough to say he is never going to figure it out. Lee is a liability! What the hell good is it if he makes tackles when its 8-10 yards downfield?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Darron Lee ..what a joke

Hey Macdoodling ..Round One will be here in a couple of months

Ask yourself : DO I KNOW WHAT I AM ABOUT TO DO???

4. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

This isn't any sort of prediction or anything, but don't be surprised if Mac drafts an ILB in this draft. He's going to call it COMPETITION and that's about as close as you'll ever see Mac get to admitting he completely whiffed on that pick. The thing is, as everyone knows, Mac is all about taking the BPA. There are too many pretty good linebacker prospects in this draft for Mac to pass up. That linebacker is going to hit the ground running. Right from the get go, he'll be a MUCH better player with very little coaching than Lee has ever been.

At that point, Lee will remain on the team but he could very easily get benched in favor of the rookie. It's ludicrous to think at this point Mac and the CS don't see how much of a liability he's become for the defense.

6-10 once again and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Dude Roquan Smith and Darron Lee would be a fucking sick inside linebacker duo, definitely would take that over DeMario, if we got Cousins, traded down or something

6. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I could go for that. A lot of defensive problems had to do with the linebackers this season. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Mac made that move. Besides, Lee seems to do his best when someone else is leading the way? He got better last season after he watched Demario cover his gap and Lee's.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah we have several issues with the linebacking corps, I agree. You are spot on as well, I liken Darron Lee as someone who can operate in space. Roquan Smith is a do it all linebacker. Jets could also run different fronts more effectively. Of course, this could effectively end Lee's tenure if he doesn't step up and fulfill his role on the team, but if the Jets got Smith I would have no problem with it.

Smith was really good in that Bowl game against Baker Mayfield. Jets still need a pass rusher tho.

8. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Darron Lee was a terrible pick, but there was also not a lot of choices at that particular time.

Considering Macc took Leo and Jamal who are both looking to be absolute studs, I think he's done a better job that most Jets GMs this past decade. 2/3 on 1st rounders is not exactly terrible.

Mark Sanchez
    Kyle Wilson
    Mo Wilkerson
    Quinton Coples
    Dee Milliner
    Sheldon Richardson
    Calvin Pryor

^That's horrendous by the Rex regime (Tanny and Idzik). They were 2/7 if you consider Mo and Sheldon to have panned out (but even that's arguable).

Penning10 and wewantsapp like this.
  9. Penning10

Penning10 Member

I think Lee will make a really good special teams guy. I think his skill set is perfect for kick coverage. I know that's not what you want from a 1st round pick, but I can see him excelling in that role probably with another team after his rookie deal expires or the Jets cut him.