Welcome to the Jets Sam Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GordonGecko, Apr 26, 2018.

1. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

champ's fired up... . . . . . .

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I was listening to Darnold on The Herd with Colin Cowherd today and he was really impressive. Hopefully someone can post the interview. Wise beyond his years. I am excited for 2018, but I am super excited for 2019, 2020, 2021, and beyond! Great kid.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Say a Prayer for him then :mad:

5. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Jim Caldwell got a gift then ahah

Cmon Penny ..you know Uncle Toddy will take the FG with Tom Brady at QB and 4th and 3 to go on the 20 yard line

KurtTheJetsFan and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

TrojanPride likes this.
  8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

For the first time, I agree with Champ. TB has shown that he is not a good coach. This isn't based off his win/loss record, it is based on his coaching. Defense is his specialty and it has been subpar. His in game decisions typically are poorly thought out, or go against what a team trying to win should do. He punts the ball near mid-field in the 4th quarter when we are within striking distance, he never goes for 2 and it nearly cost us in a game against Buffalo, his challenges are based on his wishes and not video evidence. Keeping him here this year, especially with a rookie QB was a mistake and will just slow down Darnold's development.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. NYJetsO12

Always Like your Posts Penny..but please there is NO WAY you can mention Todd Bowles in the same sentence as Bill Bellichek

Bellichek will be in the Hall of Fame not because he landed Tom B ..the real reason is he knows how to get the the most out of the 52 other players

As far as QB talent/coaching goes just look at last year: Case Keenum owes it all to Pat Schermer and Zimmer for reinventing his carreer; Nick Foles was gathering dust before Pederson Coached him up for a SB

Todd Bowles is not on that level imo

10. NYJetsO12

Yes ..you are right Champ. He has already gone through 2 OCs

Nothing form nothing

11. NYJetsO12

Plus to all that

As i have posted before..Darnold is so gifted he can survive his rookie year without needing the Jets CS so much

This is his NFL career (with the Jets or not) ..the kid will learn from his mistakes and succeed; he strikes me as pretty serious about finding the right mentors on his own. The Jets will reap some benefit.. I hope

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am not suggesting he is. All I said was that a Good to Great QB will make a huge difference.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He might not with a better QB. Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge Bowles supporter, but the guy has had crap for QB position.

14. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

YEARS AGO, I remember reading an account from a Jets WR, I think it was Maynard, but it could just as easily have been Eddie Bell or somebody else--they went on and on about how Namath released the ball in such a way that the nose always stayed up, which made it easy to catch, no matter how hard he threw it. It was one of the things that made Namath special, but, in the estimation of that WR, it also contributed to his high INT count.

So Darnold doesn't have the quickest release, and he doesn't keep the nose of the ball up, and he's not Joe Namath. I don't know what impact having the ball nose down has, but I do have concerns about his low and slow release. Happy to hear he's trying to address his fumbling issue though. Can we get CMart to come in as ball-security coach?

LAJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  15. Im starting to think the release stuff is overblown.No he doesnt have the quickest release in the world but i have yet to see a throw either at usc or even his short time at minicamp where the throw seemed late. His ability to process,precise ball placement & instinctual pocket presence/mobility more than offset the subtle wind up which isnt anywhere near as bad as say Phillip Rivers when he came out of NC State.

My concerns w Darnold surround throwing in the wind/cold.Hes got average sized hands & while he can certainly spin it w plenty of velocity,a large portion of his game is predicated on touch & finesse.Hows that gonna work post Turkey day at home or any number of Road settings?will this be Pennington 2.0?Hes a much better passer w a much better arm than Penny but he tends to take something off the ball esp early in games. I think he can do it..but Cue Cman w.the Missouri state motto

16. The Dark Knight

That will be interesting to see, agreed. Not just Darnold but the Top 3 Quarterbacks in the draft. Mayfield in Cleveland, Darnold in New York and Allen in Buffalo all better figure out how to play in cold and terrible weather. Rosen, on the other hand, gets a nice and toasty dome in Arizona. :D

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

18. TrojanPride

TrojanPride Active Member

USC QBs throw in the wind and cold. Play in snow in Colorado (also altitude), Utah, Oregon, the Bay Area can get very cold and windy....it can rain hard, a sideways kinda rain.

Then there’s that hellacious heat in Arizona, both stadiums are outdoors.

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers are both California boys, born and bred. The adjustment is not that big of a deal.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Read the thread I started today about Darnold's throwing motion that will help some. When Darnold has a receiver 32 yards or more away, he tends to drop the ball lower and then has to bring it back up to throw and the ball is slower getting out of his hands. He is working on that.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You know what small hands mean, don't you? ;)