Welcome to the Jets Nathan Shepherd (3rd Rd Pick)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2018.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well when you put it like that. okay, awesome play then lol

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The entire clip is 4 seconds. Watch the time stamp more closely. It’s about 1 second in until the action starts, and he’s around Hernandez at about the 3 second mark. He is in the back field in around two total seconds of action. His hand usage is wonderful on this clip.

This by no means is proof that he’s going to be a great or even good player, but the potential is there

3. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the value of heart and desire, which this kid seems to have plenty of. Let's see what we have in a year......

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think its very hard. He's 6'4 315. That is huge in Divison II ball. He will be lining up against tackles that are 3 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier. Sheperd is also playing an entirely different position. His film work showed just a bull rush. That is too easy for a pro tackle to deal with. But we will see right away in training camp what he has. Just don't expect Bowels and Rodgers to coach him up. They destroy DL talents. Richardson, Mo, and Big Cat all got progressively worst since Bowels arrived.

5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He abused a 2nd round pick. No one says he beat the guy but. Except Jets fans arguing that their players arent impressive and anyone who says a play is has to be wrong

6. LF911SC

I dont. Again, i said if youre talking about competition he played against we dont know. But my other point is the rush game doesnt change drastically from college to pros like other positions. There are plenty of one trick pony pass rushers who made the pro bowl.

Mo was a dog. Ater his contract. He made the pro bowl under Bowles, so that not right. Richardson has to be one of the most overrated Jets by Jets fans. After he first came into the league what kind of force has he been to blame Bowles for destroying? And Leo? He hasnt regressed one bit. Mo dogging it, no Snacks etc and Leo is double and triple teamed all day long. He isnt given that kind of attention because he isnt that good.

BomberJet likes this.
  7. boozer32

All I know is that he is hungry, gives 100% on every play, and has the motor to succeed. It was rated high by many experts before the draft, while many of the critics here never even heard of him till they called his name.
    I'm willing to give him a chance, because his intangibles and commitment are far more than the combined desires and efforts put forth by Coples, Gholston and the second coming of Mo, all put together. Fuck, I'll take that on the third round and see.
    It's interesting to note that the Giants needed lots of help in the OL as well, but did not see enough value in all 7 rounds to pull the trigger. But what do they know? It's just Mac not knowing better.[/QUOTE]

Is that how low we have sunk that a player is not Mo, Coples and Gholston. Tiny miracles are what we are looking for in prospects. Many experts? Are these guy's current scouts and GM's or former scouts and GM's who lost their jobs because of their judgments. I've seen it cut both ways. Guys that these so-called pundits said were slam-dunk future superstars flop big time. Or the guy that makes it wasn't even on their radar. It's a tough league and the step up in talent destroys alot of guy's. He needs a ton of coaching and do the Jets have that amount of time and effort for a 3rd round guy that is older than most?

8. boozer32

I believe Mo and Sheldon were All Pro. Any other Jets producing at that level? Leo double and triple teamed? I doubt that. If that were true then they should be leading the league in sacks. I mean if you got 3 guys dedicated to one guy (Leo) that should free up multiple rushers. The Jets had 26 sacks total, 3rd lowest in the league. Heck, Joey Bosa had almost that much by himself.

9. boozer32

I agree its just one play. The Giants and Jets will meet again in the preseason and I'm sure they will be matched up .

10. LF911SC

Mo was an all pro. Under Bowles. Then he got plaid and laid down.
    Sheldons first year under Bowles he was suspended, injured and missed 7 games? Wasted season. Next year he played poorly and a year later was traded. Leo is doubled every single play or worse. You need to watch the games, its obvious.

Now which is it, I never get it. We've ignored pass rushers, dont have any. Or is it Bowles doesnt know how to generate a rush. Then again it would help if we had decent secondary play and LB play so that Bowles can blitz somewhere near the percentages that he blitzed in AZ.

11. LF911SC

Point isnt that its just one play, because it is. Point is hes insisting that there was nothing impressive about the move and play

12. boozer32

Yeah, what happened to that guy? I thought that was the coach they were getting. Instead, he's in a coma for 4 quarters. I believe the secondary play is a direct result of Bowles not getting any pressure. QB's just have too much time to throw. They invested a lot these last 2 years. The back to back safeties, Claiborne and Trumaine. But the best CB can only cover for so long without any pass rush.

13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Alejandro Villanueva was effectively a 26 year old rookie DE for the Eagles in 2014, and moved to OT as a 27 year old with the Steelers in 2015. He took Beachum's spot at LT after he was lost to injury, and went to the ProBowl last year and got a 4 year extension.

I guess it depends on your definition of "special", but I would consider that an acceptable value for a 3rd round pick, at least.

NCJetsfan and Harpua like this.
  14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why are you so keen to be down on the lad ?

Now he might bust at the end of the day and for one of our picks that will not be a huge shock but until we see him in action why do we need to be down on him not just once but right throughout the entire thread.

Never understand why a supporter would argue that one of our newly drafted players is going to or is a possible bust, I can understand you registering your concern about him but not over and over again.

I concede the last time we had this discussion it was Hack and it looks like I backed a losing bet lol but I shall endeavour to remain optimistic until proven otherwise :)

#174 K'OB, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, the immortal Schottenheimer was our OC, and had to dumb down and change the offense as Favre basically ignored him and refused to do some of the things that Schotty wanted.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

I agree for the most part with your post above, but as far as your Giants comment, Gettleman is a moron imo. When Gettleman was the GM with the Panthers the OL needed upgrading and he did little or nothing. He may have cost them a SB because of that. Then he takes a freaking RB with the 2nd pick in the draft rather than drafting a FQB prospect to groom after Eli retires. That said, it doesn't mean that there were any good OL prospects left after the 2nd round. There could have been, and I would be surprised if there weren't, but neither Mac nor Gettleman decided to take one. I guess we'll see in time if they were right or wrong.

17. NCJetsfan

I agree. It was also Mangini's secretiveness. Woody wanted to be kept appraised of the moves that Mangini was gonna make and why, and Mangini refused to do that. On one hand I couldn't blame Mangini for not wanting to be bothered by an ignorant dilettante, but OTOH, when your boss tells you to do something, if you're smart, you'll do it.

LF911SC likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

True, but Favre insisted on continuing to play when he shouldn't have been playing. Mangini didn't have great options, but other teams knew that Favre was injured and it was affecting his passing and the routes the Jets ran. At least with the backup, opposing Ds wouldn't have had that edge.

LF911SC likes this.
  19. boozer32

Never ssid Bust Just saying he has a huge mountsin to climb and him being older than anyone in this Jets class is gonna be a struggle. It might be different if he were coming from a major college program but he's not. Fort Hays is just not. Learning an entirely new position just adds too it. So research how many Fort Hays 24,year olds have made in the NFL.

20. LF911SC

Totally agree. Favre wouldn't accept a seat to rest. Mangini wasn't strong enough to insist. Who knows a couple of weeks off and Favre may have had a healthier return and won a few games.

Then again, his ironman streak would have ended.