Welcome Alonzo Dotson (New Director of College Scouting)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, May 8, 2018.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

fuck that came back wrong on the search.

I'll hold off on it, the Pack has taken some guys i like recently, but we'll see, I jsut love us bashing peopoe we have litttle to no idea about.

FJF likes this.
  2. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

U do kno theres more to it then him just having a background on defense right?? I don't pretend to kno the exact reasons but I'm assuming the Jets wanted the best available person at the job. Just because he was a Packers scout it doesn't make him in charge of all the picks/players nor does that mean he can only scout D-Lineman. For all u kno he might have been the person banging on the table for a player the Packers didn't select in drafts previously. Or maybe he was the guy banging on the table for Mike Daniels or Casey Hayward.Theres a whole world that neither u or I kno about in the NFL and within the scouting community he may have been the next hot upcoming scout.

My point is that your preference doesn't fit with his background so u bash even though u clearly have no idea who he is or know how capable he is of doing his job. Lets hire a scout w/ an O-Line background just because we need an OL for next year. OK what about the next year after that when we don't need an OL and we need another position should we fire that guy and bring in a scout with a background in pass rushers what about after that when well potentially need CB. It literally makes no sense, hire the best person available for the job period and trust in his process. We shouldnt be hiring people on the amount of excitement they bring to u none of us were excited when we signed Damon Harrison and Robby Anderson as UDFAs, my point is no ones how someones gonna turn out and perform especially when u have no idea who they

And honestly did u even watch the Super Bowl, or u watch them period Giants beat Brady X2 u know AWESOME DLINE, Eagles just won with how an AWESOME DLINE, How'd the Seahawks get there multiple times and win 1 AWESOME DLINE, 2 super bowls ago Carolina and Denver u kno what component they both had in common AWESOME DLINE. As a matter of fact the only team to have a "great" OLINE the past 5 Super Bowls was Philly followed by Carolina who were pretty good all others were pretty damn average. So they dont grow on trees its actual OLineman who do especially with the last few crops of Oline prospects being pretty bad the last few years.

3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Not only that, some dont even understand the process apparently. Scouts go out and look at players, come back and make recommendations. If the GM keeps making the wrong decisions, ignores the player you want drafted how does that tell you the scout did?

Only Jets fans can argue over a person they dont know and against the job they did while not knowing a thing about that either. It really is funny

LAJet, Brook! and Nesquik like this.
  4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

That kind of proves my point..: So many teams have good D Lines because it's so fucking easy to find good D line men. It's very hard to find good offensive line players so how exactly do they grow on trees? You basically said it yourself the crops of O line have been bad, which therefore means they don't grow on trees.

Those weren't really at all the primary reason how any of those teams won the Super Bowl either, Denver won pretty much by Von Miller a pass rusher... Seattle won with its secondary, philly got torched all game and won with their QB.

The only one with any weight to it is the Giants and they were a mediocre 9-7 team both seasons who went on a miracle run both times due to being the luckiest franchise in NFL history. And it really only applies to their 2007 Super Bowl. I wouldn't say d line was the major reason for the 2011 win

You will always see more teams with good D lines because they are everywhere, D lines can contribute no doubt but wasting premium picks on them is pointless until your team is filled out. You can keep finding Foley Fatukasi's in the later rounds and build a nice D Line.

My anguish is towards the DT position as opposed to DE's, but non pass rushing DE's are not worth high picks either.

#24 6-10 once again, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    Brook!, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Williams,Adams,Darnold..

The new guy should just contnue with the current Jet strategy of letting blue chip prospects fall to them.

#25 joe, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
  6. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Regarding the Pack, when you have Rodgers the entire team runs through Rodgers and yes there will be some sacrifice on D in order to give AR the tools he needs. The Jets may very well end up the same way if Darnold becomes what we hope he does. Doesn't mean you neglect defense entirely but it means you're going to have to hope one part of you D is specialized and effective to overcome weak links. Like the Colts all those years. Their D was garbage but Freeney/Mathis did enough and Manning and the O did the rest. Maybe we'll be a team with Darnold and the O doing most of it with a D that's basically two outstanding safeties, Leonard Williams, and not much else of note. It's a capped league it's hard to build complete teams for long amounts of time

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ditto..

FTRMR...
    I dare anyone on TGG to say Foley Fatukasi five times fast without screwing up

playtowinthegame likes this.
  8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

FoFat

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I dont necessarily agree but im always going to be a talent over need kinda guy. Year after year there have been weak O-Lineman coming into the draft so much so that this year u have teams reaching up for need (Kolton Miller) more of a day 2 guy and McGlinchey from Notre Dame probably a bottom tier 1st rounder was probably over drafted simply because teams needed them. If a guy like Miller is going in the top 15 imagine whats available Day 2 or Day 3. I fully understand the need but its these peoples jobs to scout these players you're literally saying just because we have a need we should disregard the talent and choose Olineman on the hopes of getting lucky they will outproduce their draft slot.

If the Jets have Nathan Shepherd graded out as a 2nd rounder and a guy like Orlando Brown ( who cant play LT) graded out as 4th Rounder What are they exactly supposed to do. Another situation in Foley Fatukasi say if we have him graded out as a late Early Day 3 pick and a guy like Jamil Demby gradedout as a UDFA do we grab him just because. The fact is we dont kno the grades to any of these players for sure but we kno CLEARLY the Jets liked them ahead of the "talent" that was there to be selected

And i didnt mean to imply that everyone has a great DLINE because that clearly isnt true. I think that theres less of a talent discrepancy and teams like the Patriots have worked to draft OL late as opposed to early and just brought back super coaching (Dante Scarnecchia). So maybe thats the Jets approach to just coach up lesser talent on OL because theres been so many busts at the position

And you can point out how they won im pointing out how they got there in the first place all of those teams had great D-Lines so that was my point Super Bowl champions usually have great defenses.

NCJetsfan likes this.

10. You’re right about the scouting director portion..

However regarding DL..everyone of the teams you mentioned that beat the Pats w DL,play a 4-3 base.These guys 1 or 2 gap against the run & absolutely must get into gap,get off blocks & get to the QB.

Meanwhile the Jets continue to play a 34 scheme which is at its best w guys who absorb blocks,control the LOS & simply collapse the pocket against the pass presumably opening things up for the edge or in our case for Bowkes to scheme effective blitz packages from the back 7.

Instead weve continued to try & find Bruce Smith & have failed miserably costing us other impact players we couldve drafted,unreasonable expectations ,overpaid players who dont fit the bill & above all else absolutely no pass rush!! The jets want their cake & eat it too. Need further proof?Bowles trying to play a 1 gap out of a base 3-4 which is just flawed from the onset.On top of that Bowles has done nothing but downplay the DL struggles up front defending Wilk,sheldon & even Leo for non production.going as far as to say theyve played well in obvious instances when they didnt. Now all of a sudden Wilk/Sheldon are gone & DL is the biggest priority on the roster??

Color me very confused.Somewheredown the line there is incompetence at play & it seems were back to prioritizing defense no matter how misguided the overriding concept appears.

Nesquik, Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I easily did it, but then I'm a singer used to singing in different languages. :p;)

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm ok with bringing in guys with successful PRIOR EXPERIENCE at the job they're being hired to do. Enough with the OJT prospects.

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Better have a hanky or a washcloth handy too.. Almost as bad as saying "petunia" without getting something damp nearby.. :)

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ahahah

Is he our first Japanese player?... (no offense to anyone)

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I just read Mac hired Jon Carr for the same position..am I missing something?

RPOZ51 likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fucking racist.

(just kidding)

Walt White likes this.
  17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Where was this guy last month when we could have used him?

18. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I just came here to ask the same thing:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/05/jets_hire_ex-texans_college_scouting_director_to_f.html

Also, the Packers’ site still shows Dotson as being on their staff:

http://www.packers.com/team/staff/alonzo-dotson/36fea032-8e55-48cf-926a-92404f00d986

EDIT:

This article just says the Jets are hiring Dotson, but I didn’t see where it gives his title:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/05/08/packers-losing-veteran-college-scout-to-jets/

19. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Not sure....I see the article as well. One of the beat guys posted something the other day as well about Dotson. Maybe they are creating another higher level position as well?

20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Foe-luh-RUN-soo Faa-too-KAH-see

I'm a Jet with a capital J!

NYJetsO12 likes this.