Week 7 | Coaches Film Observations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Oct 27, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Wasn't quite as exciting to watch this game again but there were a lot of positives and some negatives as well of course. Something I wish would change is that you can tell by the way Colon lines up whether it's a run or a pass. If he's not in the 3 point stance it's a pass, 100% of the time. They have to changed it up a little bit. Another thing that didn't work was all this criss cross blocking from our Guards, all this pulling, on run plays and screen passes. None of that stuff worked, half the time Colon was stumbling around and finding himself on the ground after whiffing. He's not built to run around and hit people, neither is Carpenter even though he's more athletic but they're both road grader type blockers, why have them fly around and be all finesse? Just run the ball up the middle, smashmouth style like the Steelers used to. Especially against such a light front 7, NE doesn't have any great big run stuffers anymore. There's no prime Seymour or Wilfork dominating in the middle.

On defense you can't help but notice how complicated the scheme is vs. what Rex did last year. Maybe not complicated, just different. With Rex it was kind of simple in that it was man on man, just take care of your guy, pure skill. Now it's a lot of zone coverage and depending on how the receivers run routes the coverages change during the play. It's great to see as long it works but sometimes it doesn't and you'll have a busted coverage because guys make the wrong reads, then you have 2 guys covering the same receiver and one guy being left wide open. But that's to be expected, they players are still learning the system.

Offense:

• QB Fitzpatrick: Had some great throws over the middle to Decker, very accurate, good timing. Overthrew Decker on a deep ball and in the endzone by a lot. Underthrew Devin Smith on a deep ball late in the game (again). Didn't get much help from Marshall or Cumberland (2 dropped TD's). A lot of playaction rollouts to Bohanon. Enunwa would have been huge here in that role. Had a dumb turnover right at the beginning on that sack.
    • RB Ivory: Not too much to say about him. Clearly wasn't the same guy after that first carry when he pulled something, wasn't explosive at all for the rest of the game, spent half the time getting treatment and riding the bike. Was split out wide, chipped in a TD catch. But overall just frustrating he wasn't close to 100% for our biggest game, from the first carry.
    • FB Bohanon: Had two PA screens thrown to him on that first drive that failed miserable (incomplete). Did catch two easy screens later where he was wide open on PA's. Wasn't as bad as a blocker. He doesn't pack a punch and still gets knocked back but at least this time he didn't whiff as often. We have to address the FB position next year and bring in a legit blocker.
    • WR Marshall: Had a nice catch over the corner's head, later dropped an easy TD catch which would have been huge for us at that point. Dropped another easy one over the middle at the end. Recovered the onside kick, then had a stupid penalty to end the game. Seems like his focus was off that day. His run blocking continues to be very strong and I'd expect him to show up and dominate next week against the Raiders.
    • WR Decker: Not sure if he's just simply not in shape, but it seemed like after every catch he was heading towards the bench and signaling Owusu to take over for him, which hurt us the next play because often times Owusu had to block, something he can't do. We don't have an established #3 yet, Decker has to stay in there even if it's just to block or act as a decoy.
    • TE Cumberland: His blocking is just so awful, contact is his cryptonite. Dropped an easy TD pass on a great rainbow pass by Fitz. Bohanon and Cumberland are two guys that don't fit this offense, they don't have the mentality, they don't have the playing style we want. I'd like both of them gone but we'll have to wait until next year I guess.
    • LT Ferguson: Quietly had a nice game. Shut Chandler Jones down, run blocking was solid. Can't ask for more.
    • LG Carpenter: Probably our best lineman at this point, wish we'd cut those plays out where he's being asked to pull. Why make it so complicated.
    • C Mangold: Simply isn't playing that well this season. Got completely destroyed by ILB Hightower on a blitz that led to a sack by DE Chandler Jones. Stuff like this didn't happen to Mangold before. Not sure if he's starting to show his age but right now he's...almost human dare I say? Not counting him out yet, he might bounce back. If not he's still one of the best Centers in the game.
    • RG Colon: Watching him move is painful, he looks so old, out of shape and broken down. As long as he just backpedals he's fine but when he has to pull or when he has to get up after falling down it's really depressing how much effort it takes for him to get on his feet. His blocking was solid for the most part. Struggles with quick guys, whiffed badly twice when OLB Ninkovich faked an inside/outside move.
    • RT Giacomini: His man (OLB Ninkovich) had 4 pass breakups. That wasn't all on him but he struggled overall, in pass protection and run blocking. A lot of times didn't even engage Ninkovich who was just standing there waiting for Fitz to throw the ball over him so he can jump and bat the ball down.
      Key Subs
    • RB Stacy: Split time with Ivory, looked like the backup type player that he is. He does seem to know the playbook well, he's good in pass protection but as a runner he's very average and one dimensional. Would be nice to have Ridley out there soon and see what he's got.
    • WR Owusu: Struggled to get any seperation. Had a tipped ball at the goal line that was almost picked.
    • WR Kerley: Beat CB Coleman for an easy TD, did the most with the limited opportunities he's getting. Had a nice catch and run before the TD catch as well, was wide open other times (for 1st downs) but is being ignored right now. Could be that #3 we need if he was getting more reps and targets. He's a good receiver. He might not be big, he might not be a good blocker but he gets open and he's got good hands, throw the ball to him.
    • WR Smith: Ran the wrong route once, I'm assuming. Otherwise invisible. Ran some deep routes in 1 on 1 coverage a few times, the one time Fitz went deep in the 4th quarter he again underthrew Smith severly. This isn't really working out right now, they have to fix it somehow.
    • TE Davis: Continues to get better each game. Wasn't even expected to make the team, now he's our best TE and a dependable blocker. Might stick around for longer than we thought even with Amaro returning next year, possibly with the same role unless we sign a good veteran TE.
    CONT.

almbleamal, NYJetsO12, macbk and 3 others like this.
  2. DaBallhawk

Defense:
    • LE Wilkerson: Beat RT Fleming for an easy sack with an inside move. Dropped an easy INT in the first half. Missed another sack in the 3rd Quarter in the redzone. Seemed to drop back quite often which limited his pass rush impact, but it almost paid off once with an INT.
    • DT Richardson: Had another good game. Two sacks, a forced fumble, showed great hustle, delivered some pancakes. His strip-sack on Brady where he chased him down from behind was a trademark play, it's great to have him back and play with the same fire he used to last year. Slowly getting back to his All Pro form.
    • NT Harrison: I still don't get why he's getting this many snaps, especially against a team that threw the ball like 60 times. Why have Snacks out there? For what? He's one dimensional. He's a good run stuffer but that's about it, he can't pass rush. Yet he's out there with the nickel trying to pressure Brady, I don't really get it. We have guys like Williams or Coples sitting on the bench so Snacks can be out there defending the pass. His snaps in the passing game should go to Coples.
    • RE Williams: Had a decent game, some nice rushes, put decent pressure on Brady. He's kind of slowing down a bit, still playing well but just not spectacular. Maybe he's just being overshadowed by the two All Pro's next to him.
    • OLB Coples: Was splitting time with Pace at RE. Statistically he had a quite game again, he didn't get a lot of snaps until the 2nd quarter. Before the end of the half he pressured Brady 4 times. If he's lucky he gets 2 or 3 sacks there but he's Coples so he finishes with a big goose egg. He's always just a hair shy of making that bigplay, a step too late. But he did beat LT Vollmer a handful of times with his speed off the edge which was gratifying to see. I haven't given up on him. I used right he can be an impact player.
    • ILB Harris: Didn't really flash that much obviously since the Patriots didn't even attempt to run the ball. Was blitzing a lot instead, abused C Andrews a few times with a bullrush. Had a Ray Lewis type play on a run that he read from the moment the ball was snapped, which ended in a huge loss. Not sure if Skrine or Harris got credited with the TFL but Harris definitely made that happen.
    • ILB Davis: Still continues to make bad reads in coverage and leaves guys wide open while covering other guys that are already being covered by somebody else. There's no way that's designed. Missed a couple of tackles.
    • OLB Pace: Another guy that needs to get off the field. Was a complete non factor at DE when he rushed the QB, he's just simply too slow at this point to beat anybody with his speed. Wish Bowles would limit his snaps to 1st down, run defense, egde setting type instead of blitzing him and letting him play DE.
    • CB Revis: Clean game for the most part. Drew Edelman in coverage and did his job. Bit on a pump fake in the 2nd half to Edelman when Brady went to Gronk instead, ended up being a big catch for a first down.
    • CB Cromartie: Deserves some major props for a great game. Plays with more confidence, trusts his instincts more. Great closing speed, tight coverage, broke up a couple passes.
    • CB Skrine: Had some sick hits, was really physical. Not a factor in blitz packages in that game.
    • FS Gilchrist: Missed an INT in the endzone, came in just a bit late on that Brady pass to Amendola and it ended up being a TD unfortunately. Read the play well but just a step too late. Kind of gave NE all the momentum. Had a busted coverage at the end on the TD pass to Gronk where he decided to blitz instead of covering Gronk which left him wide open. Expect him also to bounce back next week.
    • SS Pryor: Was shadowing Gronk at all times and shut him down for the most part without any help. Had a beautiful pass breakup over the middle, later made a TD saving tackle at the goal line. Defense fell apart once he left. Gave up a short catch to TE Michael Williams (300+ pounds), got the wind knocked out of him. The very next play Brady goes to Gronk for a 30+ yard gain with Gilchrist in coverage. He's become a huge part of this defense. He returned back but had to leave again a couple times because of a knee and ankle injury. Seems like whenever he left the field our defense just deflated. We need him back ASAP.
      Key Subs:
    • DE Douzable: Didn't see the field much in the first half. Was in on the QB sneak by Brady at the goal line, got handled by Gronk.
    • DE Bowen: Hasn't played well so far but got a few snaps at DT late in the game and was disruptive, pressuring Brady twice.
    • CB Williams: Shared Gronk duties with Pryor and did a solid job.
    • S Bailey: Played OK, unfortunately got more snaps than he should have. He's not starter material, especially at this point, but he didn't look lost out there. Gives up short catches but has good closing speed and is a good tackler. Could challenge JJ and AA next year for the #3 job.
    • ILB Lattimore: Got beat pretty bad by Gronk on the sideline who dropped the pass, otherwise that would have been a 60 yard TD. Otherwise nothing.
    Special Teams:
    • K Folk: Flawless game. Kickoffs were kind of short but did have a 55 yd FG. Can't ask for more than that. He's clutch.
    • P Weatherford: Not a good day for him. How do guys like that have a job in the NFL? Out of 300 mil. people we can't find 30 guys who can punt well?
    • KR Owusu: Tried to make some plays, gave us decent field position. Clearly an upgrade over Stacy.
    • PR Kerley: Was fair catching everything which wasn't his fault. When you have your starting defense play special teams, with Cro outside trying to block NE's gunners, that's not a good matchup.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Question: You say Decker heads to the sidelines pretty often. I wonder why Kerley isn't sent in more when the slot position becomes open (with Decker catching his breath). I know Decker is our new slot guy, but if he spends half the game standing next to Bowles I would like to see Kerely send in to replace him.

Edit....and thank you for taking the time to write all this up! I look forward to it every week

#3 Footballgod214, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
    NYJetsO12 and SonofDinger like this.
  4. VaBchJet

VaBchJet Active Member

Nice write up. How many times you watch that film?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Snacks needs to get off the field on passing downs and on 2 minute drills and such

6. DaBallhawk

Just once but I go over each play like a handful of times, rewinding each play and then go over every position to see if there's anything noteworthy. This one I had to split up (1st & 2nd half) because of many plays there were, this game took so much longer to review. While doing all that I still have to make notes after each play and then at the end somehow reword everything and come up with an overall grade. Not that fun to be honest.

NY Jets68 and Brook! like this.
  7. DaBallhawk

Thanks.

I think naturally they just go into 2 receiver sets when Decker makes a big catch, because then it's 90% a run the next play. To watch Owusu motion and line up behind the line and basically do Decker's job and block like a TE is just odd. But he's our biggest WR with Decker on the bench outside of Marshall I guess. Kerley and Devin Smith are too small to block people. You can only imagine what a Jamie Collins or Hightower or Chandler Jones would do to them. Enunwa was the perfect guy for that.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Not sure I would call that incomplete pass to Cumby a drop considering the DB grabbed his arm before the ball got there.

All Gas No Shake and abyzmul like this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sure did. That was a terrible pass interference and not really talked about. Rex would have lost his mind and been out on the field screaming at the ref (I guess most coaches would have). Bowles seemed to take it in stride like no big deal.

10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Nice write up but revis got lucky a few drops namely on one easy TD to edeldouche

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yup. That was a textbook PI and the tard announcers didn't even mention it.

12. DaBallhawk

He got bot his hands on the ball, he was open. I'm not sure what you're expecting at the goal line, you're not gonna be left wide open in 99% of the cases. He beat the safety, Fitz delivered a perfect pass and Cumberland as always doesn't come through. Go watch the Larry Donnell buzzer beating TD catch against the 49ers. I don't expect Cumberland to make that type of catch, compared to that this was about as easy as it gets. And if this wasn't such a chronic issue with Cumberland that whenever you put a hand on him he starts to panic and lose focus he could get away with it every once in a while. But if this happens to you all the time it's a big problem. When you have guys 60 pounds lighter than you be more physical and outwrestle you when the ball is in the air. What exactly is he good for? Who needs him to catch a short pass when he's not even being covered? Qvale could do that, we don't need to pay Cumberland 3 mil. for that. I'm really done at this point defending Cumberland. He's absolutely useless.

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  13. DaBallhawk

Can't defend that one. Edelman played in the slot and made a cut inside, no ILB no safety where there, just a huge hole. It's impossible for Revis to cover the entire field.

14. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Could be that Bowles takes the they even out over the course of a game approach, we got one back on a pick play that resulted in a pretty big play for us.

15. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

Shameful in the run game, too. What's strange is the front office seemed fine with him given lack of dollars, draft picks or even tryouts at the position in the offseason.

16. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Jace Amaro had a pretty good rookie year. If he hadn't got injured I'm sure things would look a little different.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Agree with most of it except the Davis one.....He hasn't caught a single pass all season .How do you call him our best TE?He is horrible as a pass catcher his entire carrer everywhere he went he has never been a guy that catches a lot of balls.19 was the most passes in a season he caught....he's a decent blocker

18. DaBallhawk

How do you not? Who's behind him that is better?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They made a song out about him in Chicago hahaha

but we haven't been able to see those great skills because he hasn't caught a pass yet!

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

In addition, I'm pretty sure Davis leads the team in penalties despite playing very limited number of snaps. If there is a penalties/snap ratio stat, Davis would be at the top of that list.