Week 6 Studs and Duds (vs NE)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 16, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

McCown - 66% 354 yards and 2 TDs - he also extended drives with his legs and overall alsmot (and should have) won the shootout with brady

Anderson - I feel McCown is holding him back. he should have had an 80+ yard TD on the opening drive. I think he does a lot more for the team then stats suggest. still 4 for 76 still aint bad

Kearse - leading receiver at 4 for 79 yards

Kerley - 2 for 61 and a big TD. he has still caught every target thrown his way

ASJ - 8 for 46 and a TD. plus should have had a 2nd TD he got screwed on. best TE we've had in decades

Lee - had a solid game in coverage and forced a fumble

Forte - he lost speed for sure, but he's still one of the best receiving backs in the NFL. 8 catches and some big ones to keep drives alive

Ealy - a few more batted balls again today

Duds

Refs - no need to explain we all know why

Shell - had a rough game trying to protect McCown

Run blocking - was piss poor all game. our RBs had 20 carries for 47 yards

Pass rush - i know brady is hard to sack, but we got practically no pressure on him. our OLBs and DEs aren't getting the job done

fansince90, NYJetsO12 and JetFanInPA like this.
  2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Pretty much agree with this. McCown had a few significant bad plays, but I still credit him for how well he's played relatively.

Impressed with all of these receivers overall, but really want to see Stewart get the ball more. I really get the sense this guy can play. Even though ASJ has like a 5-yard per catch average, he's been nothing but reliable and solid. I was starting to be cautious with all the hype, but he's really been as advertised.

Something needs to change on this line and I'm wondering if Wesley Johnson is the weakest link? A high pick on a center or legit free agent seems likely.

What the heck is wrong with this defensive line? Are Wilk and Leo, especially Wilk, just playing poorly? Does it have something to do with scheme? Starting to look skeptically at Kacy Rodgers even more...

Seemed like a good game from Davis and even Lee?

Nice performance by Claiborne and even Skrine, but man that dropped INT was one of the biggest game changers...

Much better than expected showing by this team. Have to give Bowles credit. There have been some bad mistakes this year, but overall he's improved.

GasedAndConfused and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This team is loaded with talent but the Coach makes poor decisions game time eg not being furious with the officials when its not a obvious TD?? I dont know whether he knows what Morton is up to but shouldn't he tell his OC "stop with so many run plays...aint workin??" Morton had a great game plan passing but goes away from it? SMH

Bowles is way too conservative and thats gonna lose us games,,,and way too laid back..he wont overrule his OC when we are putzing along 3 and out

To TBs Credit he hired a bunch of good Coaches who make him look better imo...so yes that was smart

Also, team plays hard for him (they all must want to prove to and and media they are not tank worthy} If he uses that as motivation its working!

Lotsa mistakes and missed opportunities but we gave CHAMPS a run for their money..Lee and Skrine had good games

JMHO

fansince90 and GasedAndConfused like this.
  4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I felt Lee had his best game as a pro today and he got nailed for a bogus call on Gronk who gets every single call for him.

Skrine is a stud today. He was awesome and suddenly living up to the contract. Shoulda had another pick but he had great coverage all game.

Duds are the defensive line besides Ealy, and Claiborne struggled on Cooks.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Dud Morton, going away from ASJ after he had 6 catches early and was dominating. We don’t seem to feed the hot hand often enough.

Jets69 likes this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

All things taken into consideration I don't see how the job McCown has done this year can get anything less than an A+.

Now.... I suppose we could argue that that's typical Jets and may hurt the franchise long term by missing out on the next greatest QB or whatever but I don't really think that way myself. He's been a revelation to me. Its not like he's bringing the tablets down off the mountain or anything but for what was expected vs. what has happened I couldn't be more impressed. This offseason I thought he was a total waste of time that would probably be on IR by now to be perfectly honest.

7. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

You forgot a few....Dud-Jamal Adams, Leo, and Wilk

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Studs:

Austin Sefarian Jenkins, Claiborne, Skrine, Kerley, Jermaine Kearse

Duds:

McCown - he threw some really bad picks, Anderson - has to be a better route runner - and also be more physical, the entire d-line.

Biggest Dud the coaching staff - From 7:35 onwards a lot of coaching problems are highlighted

Jets69 likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

IDK if i'd call adams a dud. he didn't have a great game but gronk is a mismatch for anyone and the PI call was BS. Wilk could be a dud. he didn't really do much. leo was at least taking on multiple blockers so others can try and take advantage of their matchups but they failed.

10. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Studs
    - McCown
    - the WR group
    -ASJ,
    - Buster Skrine and Claiborne

Duds
    - Pass rush
    - Pass rush
    - Pass rush
    - Oh did I say pass rush...

Jets69 likes this.
  11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

You lost me there.

Jets69 likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What a bunch of miserable cunts they were in the video, really we got beat by a score and were cheated out of the game, fucking D's my arse.

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Adams on more than one occasion was the sole reason the Pats RB's didn't break even longer runs...He stopped at least 2-3 runs from breaking free. And I felt he defending Gronk solid besides the TD pass and where he kinda hesitated on the other TD.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

To be fair, aside from the horrific officiating the coaching was not great. Morton got very conservative, Bowles called 2 timeouts early in the second half that could have been used. Our defensive line generating 0 pass rush is extremely concerning and given Jets inability to cover TE's, especially one of the best in the league in Gronk, I'm not turned off by the grades

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Studs:
    McCown - many huge 3rd down conversions, couple nice TD strikes
    Kerley
    ASJ
    Skrine
    Forte - as a pass catcher

Duds:
    Refs - flat out killed this game for us
    Entire defensive line
    Entire offensive line
    Adams - tough matchup for him tho. Hopefully he grows from it.

Mixed bag:
    Anderson - that pick was on him imo. he doesn't fight for the ball or run crisp routes, and should not be an every down WR imo. He did have a couple nice catches tho.
    Morton (OC) - playcalling not quick enough, and some bad 3rd and 4th down calls. There was some good too though, which is part of the reason we were in the game to begin with.

16. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

ASJ was a phenomenal acquisition for this team. We've been missing a solid, reliable TE since Keller. I sincerely hope the team extends him if he continues to have a solid season. He's young with a prove-it chip on his shoulder. Would be a great weapon to have for whichever young QB the team decides to go with for the future.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Did Bowles call the TOs? Looked like McCown to me. You can argue that his needing to call them is on the HC for sure, but if the plays are late coming in there's not much alternative.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Maye, Adams, Anderson (younger players) Shell

Kearse Kerley ASJ Powell Forte and yes Josh McGown (Vets)

Williams and Mo Wilk when they answer the bell...K Ealy and Roberts are ballplayers

19. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

I'd list Wesley Johnson as a dud. Whenever the Jets are in short yardage situations, pounding it up the middle seems like a guaranteed FAIL. So the defense crowds the line of scrimmage which means you need fantastic speed to get to the edge on a run.

Going into this season, everybody brought up the tackles but I think Shell and Beacham have exceeded expectations & Center has been the weak point. With Shell returning and starting next year, hopefully Jets can focus that FA $$ on center.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Anderson had a lot of targets which means he was getting separation but his completion percentage needs improvement.