Week 4 discussion

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 28, 2017.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Quite the excitement at Arizona. :rolleyes: 9ers-Cardinals regulation ends 12-12 (all FGs). SF takes opening kickoff of OT and go on a 7:36 drive that leads to ... a FG. Cardinals have 2:24 to try to tie or win (remember, OT is only 10 minutes long now).

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

God I hope the Giants don't get the #1 pick. Watching Rosen play for them would really suck. Like donkey balls.

3. statjeff22

Cardinals almost win in OT, come back and do win. Browns, Chargers, Niners, and Giants all still 0-4. Chargers at Giants next week, so one of them will not be 0-5.

Royal Tee likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's tough to completely judge the situation without watching the flow of the game, but I see a commonality of some of teams struggling. They all abandon the running game way too early. That kills the balance of the football team.

Melvin Gordon had 10 carries for 22 yards. As a team they only had 13 carries for 58 yards (skewed by one 35 yard rush). This finished as a one possession game.

The Giants had more balance today than normal with 28 carries for 111 yards (3 by Eli Manning for 22 yards). So really 25 designed runs for 89 yards.

The Raiders had 15 carries for 24 yards (1 rush by the punter for -3 yards), so really only 14 designed runs for 27 yards.

Teams win with balance. The Jets (32 rushes), Eagles (42 rushes), Texans (41 rushes), Rams (31 rushes), Bills (36 rushes) and Steelers (42 rushes) all ran the ball well today and it helped out the passing attacks greatly.

It's like a rejuvenation of the running game. There are few teams in the NFL that can rely solely on their franchise quarterback to win them games. Patriots with Brady, Packers with Rodgers, a good day from Matt Ryan but they are balanced. The Lions with Stafford.

Outside of that you NEED to run the ball and at the very least put the thought of the rush in the minds of opposing defenses.

#104 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  5. statjeff22

No doubt that an effective run game helps the passing, and vice versa. The Giants could have easily won that game; it was ultimately bad tackling, a bad punt, and a bad drop by Brandon Marshall that killed them (gee, that all sounds familiar). On the other hand, they could have easily lost badly if Folk hadn't been pathetic, including almost missing the last FG. Hard to give a specific reason why they lost - there are many to choose from.

I believe 190 teams have started 0-4 since the merger, and 1 (the 1992 Chargers) made the playoffs. 189-to-1 against are not good odds. No team that has started 0-5 has ever made the playoffs.

#105 statjeff22, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

The NFC North is extremely strong this year and the South has four teams that could make a push for the playoffs.

Factor all of that in and the Giants will likely have to get to 10 wins to win their division in order to get in, since I see the wild cards coming out of the North/South. That's 10-2 the rest of the way.

Vs. Chargers - W
    @ Denver - L
    Vs. Seahawks - L
    Bye
    Vs. Rams - L
    @ 49ers - W
    Vs. Chiefs - L
    @ Redskins - L
    @ Raiders - L
    Vs. Dallas - W
    Vs. Philly - L
    @ Cardinals - W
    Vs. Washington - W

I count 5 wins at most. I gave them wins vs. Washington and Dallas at home but those could very well be losses. They could beat the Seahawks at home.

I just hope they don't lose more games than that and get our god damn quarterback.

I'm telling you, also, it's only a matter of time before Marshall and Odell start playing the blame game and arguing with each other or the team. Specifically Marshall. Odell also might miss some more time. That ankle was bothering him today.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

This is a good Seattle defense. Going to use tonights game to take a look at Brissett. He's been checking down so far.

I like how he's not scared to air the ball out though the first three weeks. It frustrates the hell out of me when quarterbacks like him, who have nothing to lose, continually check the ball down.

Blaine Gabbert syndrome.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

For what it's worth I liked Malik Hooker a lot. He now has his third interception in four games. Absolutely ballllling.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Me too, I was raving about his ball skills and they are on full display over in Indy. Extremely glad with the Adams selection, but really couldn't go wrong with either safety. I think Adams is a better leader however.

10. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Apparently Carr has a transverse process fracture in his back.

11. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Yeah they're saying 2-6 weeks - I would probably lean towards the latter. Rushing back with a back injury sounds like a terrible idea FQB.

Anyone else have any FF implications tonight? I'm down 29.2 with Pryor and Kareem "The Dream" Hunt

Cidusii likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Note, really surprised by Watson early. Didn't expect him to have success this early, just saw every drop-back. Didn't think he would be able to throw in tight windows consistently. Titans were God awful and so were the Patriots. I'll wait until winter is here to really judge how good he is.

13. Jonathan_Vilma

That, that friends, is what you call a dime of a throw by Kirk Cousins.

He'd look good in Jets green. 25/30 for 365 yards and 3 touchdowns against the Raiders last week.

Opened tonight with a bomb to Terrell Pryor for the score.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Cousins reminds me a lot of a bigger armed Pennington. Although many seem to forget that Pennington had a more than capable NFL arm prior to the injuries, he didn't tend to take many shots down the field as one would like. His play-fakes remind me a lot of Pennington though.

Cousins has complete control and command of the offense, and is confident in everything he does.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Unless it’s a game to make the playoffs or a game in the playoffs. He’s really good when it doesn’t matter. I would still like to have him though lol. The clutch factor comes with time.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

I mean he was 29/46 (63%) for 329 yards and a touchdown in 2015 against the Packers. He got sacked 6 times in that same game.

He did shit the bed so to speak against the Giants last year but he still threw a lot of yards against a good defense. 22/35 (62%) for 287 yards, 1 TD/2 picks, 4 sacks.

7 game winning drives in his two years starting. He has one this year so far against the Rams.

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

Best game of the NFL season so far is on right now!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

I've mentioned the Packers as a franchise that only have 3 starters not drafted by the franchise. The Chiefs are similar.

16/22 of their starters have been drafted (or UDFA) and developed by the franchise. 17 if you count the injured Eric Berry.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

That balls gotta be caught. Cousins made a beautiful throw. Receiver took his second hand off the ball to brace himself on the ground.

Sorry if no one else is and I am displaying man-love for the player. But I'm pretty sold on Kirk Cousins. Dude is a baller. Deadly accurate.

FJF and Martin&theJETS like this.
  20. statjeff22

Looks like the Chiefs stay undefeated.

Royal Tee likes this.