We need a Coach who develops Quarterbacks.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Aug 29, 2017.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Well I don't personally view spending a shit ton of money on free agents a bad thing. I consider signing older vets, or has beens with a stagnant ceiling as a problem. The Giants spent a ton of money on their defense after a terrible 2015 and rebounded with one of the best defenses in 2016 in large part due to their FA acquisitions. The job of the next GM is to understand giving contracts out like lollipops will always bite you in the ass, but if done correctly, as in giving contracts to younger free agents who aren't at the end of their careers, is a great idea. Be selective, get people that fit what you're trying to do. But this all assumes we hire the people who actually know something about building a perennial contender and not a continuously rebuilding football team.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your first two paragraphs. I only want players who want to be here and aren't afraid of the spotlight. Coaching is critical in the development of young QBs as is having good players around them.

Where we differ is on your 3rd paragraph. In 2015, the Jets should have made the playoffs, and that's a tribute to the job that Mac did. The fact that they didn't is on Bowles. Last year, the blame for the mess may be more equal. This year begins a rebuild, so it would be ridiculous to expect playoffs this season. What's important this year is seeing who can help the team going forward and developing those players. If Bowles has the team prepared to play each and every week, if they play hard, smart, disciplined football, if Bowles shows the ability to make in-game adjustments, if he holds the players accountable, if he improves his game and clock management, and young players develop, he should be back. If most (6 out of 7) of those boxes can't be checked off then he shouldn't be back imo. IMO he was very lucky to have had a job with the Jets this year.

While Mac has been far from perfect, he has more leeway imo since it takes 3 years to even begin to judge drafts. Petty looks like at a minimum that he's going to be a reliable backup QB, if not a quality starter. IMO he has done about as well as can be expected in FA. He has designed the contracts so that the Jets aren't stuck with them for over a year or two and there are no lasting cap implications. He has added some good young talent to the team. He got Woody to undergo a much-needed rebuild. He seems to have a vision and plan, even if there are some bumps along the way. His biggest failing imo, has been his neglecting or failure to do more with the offense and the OL in particular. Still, there's a lot more to his job than Bowles', and he has supplied Bowles with a lot of first round picks for his D. I think how the young players he has added play this year should go a long way in deciding if he comes back. If Lee shows marked progress and develops into a quality LB, if his draft picks start contributing more and at a higher level, if the OL plays better than expected, then he should be back, but should be told that if he fails to upgrade the OL and seriously address the offense in FA and early in next year's draft, that it will be his last year.

That creates a problem however. If Bowles doesn't show any growth or improvement and the team is unprepared to play, and plays sloppily, he has to go, but if Mac's draft picks show signs of developing and playing well as individuals, then he should stay. Then Mac should hire the next HC and that HC should report to Mac, not Woody. I don't want Woody going near another hire for the Jets. Where the problem would come in would be if Mac is back, Bowles isn't and Mac hires a new HC, but then hires yet another former DC and fails to address the offense or upgrade the OL, then he would deserve to be fired following the 2018 season. One then is in the position of having a HC who has served for one year, and a new GM coming in and having to accept the HC that is already there. That would suggest the dysfunctional org chart staying in place, or they Jets would be firing their new HC after one year, and then quite likely, no one qualified would want the job.

Thus we might be faced with both going or both staying. Neither option seems palatable to me. Sometimes it truly seems hopeless to be a Jets fan.

Sec124DieHard likes this.
  3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I can see the merit in your comments but I always come back to the fact that we are probably looking at another season with no playoffs and an awful record (2-14 or 3-13). Now, like you said, if the team shows improvement, fights every weekend, gels, no locker room problems, and young players show development then you can make a case that they're deserving. I just don't know how realistic those expectations will be. i don't think the problems will be as glaring as they were last season, especially locker room or dysfunction wise, but I'm hesitant to believe that this team is going to come out every week and play its ass off, even as heavy under dogs. But, all of this can change. We get a preliminary glimpse this sunday.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. This IS an awesome article, not only for how it details how they have trained and developed Mariota, but for giving us an in-depth peek at how NFL teams prepare for games, and prior to drafting him, for detailing how they tested him and determined that he was the QB they wanted. It clearly shows what I said all along about Mariota, that he had a high football IQ, that being a spread QB was not a death knell for QBs hoping to play in the NFL, and the things that he needed to work on could be fixed.

This is one of the greatest articles I've seen on this or any other Jets forum. THANKS!!!!

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You're welcome!