We need a Coach who develops Quarterbacks.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Aug 29, 2017.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

My prediction is Morton will be promoted after the season leaving the staff mostly in place..he most likely will suck but it makes the most sense in Jets world.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

From position coach to OC to HC in one season? Sounds typical of the Jets, but God I hope not. He may be a very good HC once he gets the opportunity, but I think he needs to serve as an OC for at least 2-3 years before he is considered for a HC job. While I want the Jets to have a HC with an offensive background and who will focus on the offense, and would like to see some of our CS retained, I don't think I want Morton as HC. If he does well as OC this season and Petty plays well in it, then I wouldn't have a problem with his being retained as OC, but the WCO probably doesn't fit Hacks' skill set very well.

3. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Maybe those QB's suck.

4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

While not the best decision it could be worse..like retaining Bowles and drafting a QB number 1.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Spot on! Changing GMs, and HCs, and personnel is just throwing darts at a moving target. Woody needs to hire a real, NFL-experienced football guy to run the whole show - Pres. of Football Ops - who has a vision and a blueprint and sticks to it. Until that happens, the Jets will continue wandering in the wilderness.

6. NCJetsfan

LOL Retaining Bowles would almost definitely be worse, but not necessarily. I remember when Schotty eventually quit or was fired (I forget which). I celebrated and said his successor couldn't possibly be worse, and then we got Tony Sparano.

MJK likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Right! LOL Whatever

8. NCJetsfan

Couldn't agree more, but since we can't fire the owner, we're left with basically 4 choices: 1) that against all odds, we'll somehow get to and win a SB in spite of Woody and his incompetence and meddling; 2) hope that Mac or someone will educate the doofus; 3) he'll go bankrupt; or 4) that maybe he'll get hit by one of those red doubledecker buses or a lorry in London and put us out of our misery. I prefer not to root for the fourth option, although it has crossed my mind before a time or two. One is all but impossible, so we're left with either #2 or #3 and neither of those is bloody likely.

9. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

A big problem is that if Bowles is retained the interview process with these top QB prospects might be a disaster...If it were me I would be like hell no I'm going back to school....or pull an Eli Manning or John Elway.

#69 MJK, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah the Jets right now are not an attractive option. I would return to school if they have the first pick.

#70 boozer32, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  11. ColoradoContrails

Coincidentally, this article in today's SI,com shows how good teams develop QBs:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/05/m...tennessee-titans-coaching-staff-jason-michael

And seems to blow a hole in the belief that "spread QBs" can't make in the NFL. If a guy has the brains, and the athletic ability, he can adapt to any system, given the proper coaching. Of course, this last criteria is where the Jets have been woeful for years. Maybe if they hadn't won that last meaningless game that year, Mariota would be playing for the ORIGINAL Titans - now Jets. Of course, with Bowles as HC I'm sure he wouldn't have been developed as successfully.

NCJetsfan, boozer32 and grkmanga31 like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I think you're too pessimistic (and that coming from a lifelong Jets fan steeped in the value of pessimism!). Even as bad as the Jets might be, they still play in the biggest media market. I don't think Darnold would turn them down, and I'm almost certain that Rosen wouldn't - I think he would see it as fuel for his "fuck you!" mentality.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

A QB who would choose to return to college versus play in one of the biggest media markets in the country is not worth it.

On a side note, having all the tools to be a great QB is half the equation. The other half is coaching and what players surround the young QB to make his job easier.

Question becomes, if the Jets go 2-14 hypothetically, who would honestly believe that Mac and Bowles should come back in 2018 to lead this team on a rebuilding back to relevancy. I surely would hope that the Jets go in a different direction instead of mixing remnants of the past, with expectations of the future. Picking a QB high in the 1st is not a decision a regime with 3 non playoff seasons should make.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

If the Jets go 2-14 and Bowles is allowed to stay, I WILL be done as a Jets fan.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  15. grkmanga31

I wouldn't blame you. But I can't see Jets making that mistake. Ticket sales will be awful this season and with all the bad press the team will get, I just can't see Chris Johnson and Woody holding on to Macc and Bowles.

Question is who replaces them

16. ColoradoContrails

I would prefer a HC with successful experience, but primarily one who is offensive-minded who knows how to develop QBs and offenses. Sean Peyton? And here's a wild idea: hire Gruden as Pres. of Football Ops, a position that I think would attract him, and given his experience and exposure to so much information as a TV analyst, he could put that to good use creating a strong organization. Crazy? Maybe, but the Jets need to be creative to break out of this decades-long quagmire.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I disagree with this statement. I think it shows you a guy who thinks about football and not just stars in his eyes in terms of media coverage and making money. Even if its not all that, I think we run the risk of severely limiting ourselves if we worry about petty things like if the guy wants to play for us instead of football related reviews of the guy.

its not like he can't handle media scrutiny anyway- kid plays for the most high profile college program in the country

18. grkmanga31

If you care about football and have been working your ass off since you were a kid to play in the pros you jump at the opportunity to enter the draft as a top 3 pick, no matter what team is picking. Luckily, the 2018 draft has Rosen, Allen, Darnold as top 3 prospects so we aren't locked in. It's a long season so who rises to the top and who dissipates will show in time.And by media market I meant if you're a star in this society you become a hero, an immortal icon that generations of Jets fans can look up to.

Imagine the likes of Rosen coming out and having the mentality "I want to play for the Jets, I want to be the franchise QB that helps the team win another championship"

That's what I want in my QB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. grkmanga31

Jets will need to be ready to spend a crazy amount of money but money was never the issue with Woody. We need someone who can oversee the foundational development of this team. Whether its football ops or just a plain old GM. It's time to hire an offensive minded coach, tired of the d coordinators.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That's what most aren't talking about. These guys have a so called plan right now. To finished with the worst record, clear tons of salary cap money, trade or cut all the dead weight. After this is done if they lose their jobs it throws the whole thing into chaos. Do the new team that comes in continues the rebuild or go straight into spending spree. It would put the Jets right back into the same situation when Bowles and Macc arrived. Or if they keep their jobs after the season how long do you stick with them if they don't produce something positive.

Red Menace likes this.