We need a Coach who develops Quarterbacks.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Aug 29, 2017.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

For those of you hating our ability to land a QB lets not forget

broncos drafted oswieler in the 1st round to succeed manning, he left for more money, went to the texans, lost his job to scrub QBs, got traded to the browns just to offload his salary then released by the browns. he had years to learn from one of the best QBs ever as well and fucking john elway running the team lol

Broncos drafted after that debacle paxton lynch in the 1st round IIRC, he is in year 3 and can't beat out trevor simien a 7th round pick with almost the same experience.

2014 manziel
    2013 too many to name

it's not just our staff, it's just that QB is the hardest position to transition to the NFL especially since most don't run a pro style offense and the defenses in the NFL are much better

boozer32 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he definitely can, but if he can, it would be because they're totally different responsibilities. He may not have much of an eye for talent, know scouting, or be good at negotiating contracts, but he's an experienced, quality football man. He knows what it takes to win. He knows offensive football. He's been around the NFL for a long time and is respected. Having been involved in building winning teams, he probably has a good idea how to build a roster/team, and create an identity and culture for the team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I did think before I posted. Maybe you should proof read your nonsense. I replied to this comment in your stupid rant. Oh and by the way Parcells drafted Pennington, Sean Ellis and John Abraham.

The Jets needed a QB. We hadn't had a decent one since Kenny O'Brien. You don't trade away a chance to get one of the best QB prospects to ever come out of college. That would have been mind-numbingly stupid. Eff Parcells.

4. boozer32

Better than being a dierking

5. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Bill O'Brien is in the last year of his contract, I'd throw it all at him.

6. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Even think about what current teams with young QBs did.

Goff- McVay
    Wentz- Pederson
    Winston- Koetter

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

hard to argue with this

ajax and boozer32 like this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I'm on this page.

If he wants Belicheck authority give it to him along with a brinks truck of money

9. boozer32

Just joking Scott Dierking was one of my favorite Jets. Very underrated back.

Red Menace and Dierking like this.
  10. boozer32

Hold on now. O'Brien hasn't been blowing away team down there in Houston. He's throw crazy money at bad QB's and then started Hoyer in the playoffs. Set a record for being the first team to not score in a playoff. His offense is uber bland. Bringing him around the Jets might keep Hackenberg around longer than he needs to be.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Do QBs actually develop through coaching or are they what they are? in other words, if you put a top talent QB on any team would he not turn out more or less the same or does the coaching really make that much difference?

I get that some like Bill has had great success with various QBs but is that coaching (of the players) or is that having a great system and getting players that fit it?

I would rather have a really smart coach with a clear system/scheme and feel for the game than someone that was a 'coach' or developed players.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Bill Walsh died decades ago.

13. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We need a coach who's first name isn't Todd and last name isn't Bowles...

14. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

It's a mix of both. The right Coach with the right QB.

15. BLottZ

BLottZ Member

If there was a hypothetical chance to sign Peyton Manning as our HC next season would you ?

16. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

No. Why? He's never coached a day in his life before.

The best players don't always make the best coaches. Wayne Gretzky and Ted Williams come to mind.

17. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

The problem starts at the fucking top. Woody. He's pretty much an outsider with no real football acumen. He hires fucking consultants to tell him who to hire. The best teams have owners that are passionate about their team. The mere fact this fuck head wants to be an ambassador is clear proof he has little interest in football other than money.
    Insisting on hiring nobodies is playing the lottery while saving money. When woody looks to hire, he's basically touring yard sales looking for the big score.

It's bullshit. You can argue about qbs and GMs and coaches until you die, but it's a problem far deeper than that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Not a chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I believe that coaches really do help QBs develop. Lots of QBs look great in college, but then flop in the NFL. Look at all the Heismann Trophy-winning QBs who have been utter busts in the NFL. I think that shows that natural ability talent/alone isn't enough.

Their fundamentals (footwork, arm angle, release) etc. may need to be refined/adjusted. Look at Hack. Look at the pre-draft discussion regarding Mahomes. Many have to learn how to study film and read NFL Ds. Some of the QBs who ran a lot in college have to learn to keep their eyes downfield, look to pass 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and run only as a last resort. They need to learn to call protections to audible to better plays for the D's alignment. All of that doesn't happen by osmosis or automatically.

I absolutely think that QB coaches, OCs and HCs, can make or break QBs. While I don't think Sanchez would have ever been an elite QB, I think he would have turned out a lot better if we had had a quality QB Coach, OC and HC and they had a chance to work with him for a year or two before throwing him to the wolves, and especially without his dumbass HC predicting a SB victory and putting a ton of unnecessary pressure on him.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Bad idea. Despite O'Brien's reputation, developing a QB is the one thing he hasn't done in Houston. He's already failed with Mallett and Osweiler, and the only way he'll be available is if he fails with Watson too.