Way too early 53 man roster predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by xxedge72x, May 3, 2018.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Ok, bear with me here, this a brightsider view so it won't be popular...

A longshot twist in the QB depth chart would be Teddy proving he is healthy and getting the starting nod week 1. As we will not be able to move McCown we instead get him to retire and become our QB coach (Bates is double dipping as OC & QB coach). The QB depth chart is #theRealTB, Darnold and Hack. Teddy leads the team to a 3-5 record (65% completions and 12 TDs/6 INTs) before the trade deadline and is moved for a 2nd round pick in 2019. Why give up on TB if he is performing so well? Darnold is the future and if the Jets keep TB for the season and let him walk in FA the best they can hope to get is a 3rd round compensatory. If they can do better than that by trading him, assuming Darnold is ready to play, they have to make that trade.

[​IMG]

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This was soooo much easier when we only had 2 or 3 good players and everyone else was cut-able. Dammit Maccagnan!

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I can just hear the conversation now.

Mac: “Hey Josh, we know you’re making $10 million guaranteed this year but we’re thinking, how about you retire, become QB coach and we’ll start you off at about $750,000. What’d ya think?”

McCown: “Well, when you put it that way, fuck YEAH! Where do I sign up?”

#23 Rollo Tomassi, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Prediction. There were so many close calls when paring this down, I know this won't come close to being right.

5. xxedge72x

It's hard to see him vaulting over both Herndon and Leggett, but they obviously didn't bring him here for no reason. Not optimistic on him.

6. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

He's healthy and I am going to right now guarantee you'll eat crow regarding your assessment of Mauldin.

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great Post x!

I want Skrine and Lee history tho...play all the new guys

Real Question is will Bowles know how to use his new toys????

xxedge72x likes this.
  8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Serious question.

Is Lee not a “new guy”?

He’s barely through puberty.

#28 Rollo Tomassi, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Im not exactly sure how you can guarantee it but I will be happy to eat crow but Mauldin has not made that possible as of yet .Its not like last year was his first year in the league , it was his 3rd and before he got hurt he looked bad .

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Actually, it's not the best they can do. At the end of the season if they wanted to, they could try to sign Teddy and keep him. They could also tag him and trade him which would garner something better than a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd round.

11. NCJetsfan

I'd love it if you're right, but to date, we've seen nothing to even remotely suggest that you are.

CBG likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets are going to be using the nickel a lot this season. The questionable talent at LB will get covered by what is starting to look like a deep secondary. Bowles really liked having a safety up on the strongside when he was DC in Arizona. I wouldn't be surprised to see Adams lining up in that LB slot against the spread with a slot CB, 2 outside guys and Maye in centerfield.

xxedge72x likes this.
  13. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Thanks Edge.

Hopefully Shell goes up the curve some and can improve.

You have Leo at RDE. Is that his basic position? For some reason I remember him on the left side. Not that it matters. Looks like Bowles is hopeful Shepherd can make a push at the other side over Anderson.
    The bigger issue is the OLB spot across from Jenkins, on top of DE across from Leo. When you look at that it's easy to understand the Shepherd pick because the roster is very thin on the edge after the Wilkerson bullshit.
    That hurt them, that was a set back, fucking Mo

Still work to do across the roster. But there's good competition in the meantime and we'll see who's standing after camp. Should be a couple additions by then too.

#33 Walt White, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    xxedge72x likes this.
  14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t hold my breath for a nice comp pick.

My (limited) understanding is that if we sign a free agent(s) as productive as the guy(s) we lose, we don’t get any comp picks. Is that right?

And we have a ton of money to spend next year, so...

themorey likes this.
  15. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Hope you're right. You sure he's healthy? I got the understanding from the Bowles presser a while back that Mauldin still wasn't 100%. I'm skeptical of him too, but hope I can give you mad probs if you're right in the end, :)

16. NCJetsfan

Yes, I believe that your are correct regarding comp picks. That's why we'll have to tag Teddy if we want to get any compensation for him.

TwoHeadedMonster and twown like this.
  17. NYJetsO12

Well..new or not ...Does he not suck?

Other than L Williams ..what first rounder drafted for D has made an impact?

18. NYJetsO12

Speaking of the roster ...

For the Browns Mayfield publicly stated how the whole mentality has to change from losers to winners..and he thinks he can help do that.

I know we all feel Maye/Adams can infuse something on Defense but who will do it for our Offense??

IMO till Sam D takes over Teddy will be more concerned about survival and McCown focused on Coaching..his new thing

19. xxedge72x

I wasn't sure myself whether Leonard was left or right. I went and watched some video of him and it looks like he rotates both sides, but most of his highlights come from the right. This particular designation doesn't seem to mean much in Bowles defense. I also probably should have identified the linebackers more accurately by their responsibilities but oh well.

Walt White likes this.
  20. xxedge72x

I think you nailed it here. The Jets will run more nickel and big nickel (three safeties) than most teams in the NFL. I actually considered slotting Burris in over the 8th linebacker for this reason. Maybe should have.

Terrence Brooks is a guy I really like and think he'll see a lot of playing time in the big nickel as a center fielder while Adams is used as you've described.

Br4d likes this.