Watson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Wahoo, Mar 9, 2017.

1. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Watching Watson , I think he is overrated. I would have loved to see what Mahomes could have done if he was on that Clemson team.

We will be an average to poor team until we get that FQB.

2. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

Clemson fan here. We had an Average OL and Average RB....watson is a stud.

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I will go on record and say I think he'll be a stud

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Come on RSC , 5 Tigers were first team ALL ACC. Hyatt, Crowder, Guillermo on OL, Leggett at TE, and Mike Williams at WR. Gillman, was second team RB and Watson was second team QB. Jackson of Louisville was first team QB.

Those rankings are pretty solid considering the competition. Fla State, Miami, Louisville, Pitt, Va. Tech, BC, NC, NC ST., etc.. I think your under estimating Watson's surrounding cast,.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acsma-announces-2016-all-acc-football-teams-11-28-2016

CR8ZMike and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Rick Smith is being praised for cutting ties with Brock Osweiler , plus it cost them a second round pick to get rid of him.
    If Mac passes on QB in rounds 1and 2 and even 1 of those guys pan out, he is writing his epitaph.
    An executive in any business is expected to correct their mistakes, knowing you made a mistake and not addressing it Should be met with an immediate dismissal.
    If Mac's ego is fragile that he can't,or won't correct a mistake , he needs to go.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Different era, and Joe didn't play most of his games in the Northeast.

7. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example of thinking with your heart and not with the brain.

Rick Smith may be able to get away with pulling that maneuver in Houston, but in NY, he would have been panned fried to no end by the Media and the fans and the taxi drivers.

We KNOW what Osweiler did or didn't do to perform and to compel Smith to make that move. We have no clue as to the abilities of Hackenberg - just one game in pre-season against the Giants. You think that Mac will admit to a 'mistake' the he is not sure even he can convince Woody in order to drop him? I think that possibility very remote.

I think the chances are better, and one I would definitely support, is that Mac trades down with Cleveland , to #12 and gets an additional #2, draft Howard, then find 2 CB's in the 2nd round. A questionalble QB at #6 that most likely will be a project does no way compare with getting a stud TE and fixing the secondary all in the first day. Decker, Enunwa and Howard? I don't care what QB you throw out there, it will be interesting.

#87 BomberJet, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  8. TonyFtLaud

I disagree completely. Thinking with your praying would tell you not to let your ego compound your mistakes.
    We may have no clue regarding Hackenberg's ability , but Mac does. If he doesn't , he should have been fired along with Bowles at the end of last season.The fact that with the terrible QB play and injuries ,Hack was not even activated until the last game of the year , tells us pretty much where Hack is at. The fact that Mac is kicking the tires on every bad QB available tells what they think of hack.
    On your second point, I would love to see the Jets trade down but your scenario is beyond dreaming. The Browns are stockpiling picks and are not going to trade up with the Jets and give up a pick. There is no incentive for them to do so. They are way more likely to trade down and add even more picks. They are rebuilding and they value their picks.
    The trio of Decker , Enunwa and Howard , no matter who is QB would be interesting all right. An aging WR commingin off 2 major off season surgeries , Enunwa who was essentially used as a TE becomes the #1 Reciever and an unknown TE in Howard, who I believe had tremendous upside but is as unknown, or more as a Reciever as any of the top QBs are as passers.

9. BomberJet

One point with Hack, if you think Mac is going to make a complete fool of himself and admit after not giving Hack a chance to prove himself by dumping him in place of another project, then go ahead and think it. I'll play the percentages.

Point regarding Cleveland: Cleveland, has the picks to make the impact right now. Drafting 2 potential stars with the #1 and #6, how can a team pass that up by just giving up a 2nd rounder? They can draft Garret and another 1st day starter , be it SS or RB or whatever. I'm not the only one thinking this, and to me , it's to their advantage.

So your justifying not drafting an "unknown" TE for drafting an even more "unknown" QB with the #6? Whooooo boy, lets just move on with this argument, lol.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Watson has everything except an arm. I'd pass on him and every other qb in rd. 1 of this draft.
    There's a few guys I like in rd. 2+, but with Hackenberg on the roster, you already have your developmental qb.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets wait until the QB they see fits what they want to do. It's not all about Darnold, I count possibly 5 QBs next year with the potential to be good QBs at the next level. Like I mentioned, I'll take my chances and build my team in the mean-time. That way, in that QBs 2nd year if he's the real deal, that team could be contending for a conference game bid.

Who cares how many times Watson took his team to the National Championship? Being a winner in college doesn't make you a winner in the NFL. I just named a few QBs that had plenty of success in college but didn't amount to anything in the pros. That's not to say Watson won't amount to anything, I think he's far too INT prone for a 1 read QB. He doesn't really have a great arm. Being a winner only takes you so far. Mahomes has a great arm can sling it, to me he's a 3rd rounder. Awkward mechanics and pure freelancing [while is good], shouldn't compose completely of ones game and that is what Mahomes does. He needs to sit and the Jets are not in the game of sitting QBs unless that QB is taken in the 3rd round at best.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree. There is no way for you - or I - to prove our opinions conclusively. In the end all we can do is watch and see what Macc does.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

Actually, I was not justifying either. I simply posted Mac can not allow his having drafted Hack effect his decision making going forward. If there is a QB he believes is a FQB in this draft and that QB is available. He should draft him.
    Your response to that was the Brown's should trade up with us . I disagree that they will but that's a different topic.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not with that lack of arm strength imo unless he gets in the right offense in a dome stadium. If he were to wind up in the NE, fuhgeddaboutit, he'd be a wasted pick.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's a perfect fit for the Chiefs / Saints. I want nothing to do with any of these QBs.

16. BomberJet

If i was diligent enough to search thru all the drafts of every team from, lets say the past 30 years, it would be interesting to see how many teams drafted a QB in the first 4 rounds 3 years in a row. I would venture to guess not at all or very minimal. This is what I mean by playing the percentages as I don't think any GM would make that kind of gamble and to not allow for some developing to be given for that pick. It's just plane insanity to follow this "draft a QB every year till you find one" mentality.

17. CR8ZMike

CR8ZMike Member

Watch some tape for shits sake... His game doesn't translate well.
    . especially his throwing. He doesn't throw an exceptional ball... I don't think his reads are all that effective... When he throws he tends to feather the ball on deep routes. That won't fly. He had a really good team the last two years.
    Watch tape not highlights and you will see over and over again the WR's. TE's and RB's making plays on the ball. And the most troublesome is making plays on the ball when the ball is thrown deep. Making a play "BACK" on the ball. He will be a pro CB's dream

#97 CR8ZMike, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017