Was the Rebuild a Last-Minute Decision?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jun 9, 2017.

?

How Do You Think the Complete Rebuild Came About This Season?

Poll closed Jun 20, 2017.
  1. The plan all along was to go with the complete rebuild in the 3rd season

11.1%
  2. The plan for the team's future changed during last season & they decided to go w/youth

27.8%
  3. The plan changed in 2017 when they couldn't sign a good FA QB & Pettyburg showed little progress

11.1%
  4. Mac convinced Woody that the complete rebuild was necessary during this off season

38.9%
  5. We're lucky that they had little cap space to bring in new FAs & that forced the change

11.1%
  6. This is plain and simple a tank job to get Darnold, Allen or another QB in the 2018 draft

5.6%
  7. I don't think they have a long term plan. They're winging it by the seat of their pants

11.1%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BleedingGreen55

BleedingGreen55 Active Member

Why use valuable resources to move up? Just to win 5-6 games. I'd rather see them mail it in and start next year with top draft picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Thank You....the last paragraph sums it up perfectly........somebody who gets it.

Look, I know this 2017 season is going to be painful but these were the right moves....with or without Decker and Harris there is no playoffs in sight. The roster has been turned over - the foundation has been laid - now it's a matter of obtaining the next nucleus ( core players ) the ones who make the difference - QB, LT, Edge, #1 CB, a legitimate #1 Skill player threat whether it be a RB or WR or even both......this will take at least another 2 maybe 3 years and FA will now be a major help come next offseason.......the key is to hit on these next round 1 and round 2 picks in 2018, 2019.....

Brandon Moore's Butt and Br4d like this.
  3. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is Mac trying to make it through this rebuild right now (legit photo).....

slimjasi likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said. Going with the complete rebuild was the only logical thing to do, but since when has Woody done the smart/right /logical thing?

#44 NCJetsfan, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The philosophy behind "moving up" is to secure a FQB, which by now, 95% of the football world understands, you can't build a championship team without. And it's not just any FQB, it's the one you have targeted, not just a high rated QB that happens to be available when you pick. Yes, you pay a price for that, maybe a couple of high draft choices in the first few years. However, if the guy you select is the "one," you reap dividends for many years after that. So it's not to win 5-6 games, it's to produce winning season after winning season. That's how teams win Super Bowls, by getting into the playoffs year after year. To get to the promised land, you have to keep knocking on the door.

"Mailing it in" means you are giving your blessing to your team to lose games. That could end up establishing the wrong message. I don't want the Jets to ever lose, but hey that's me.

#45 westiedog1, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

7. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the final outcome but the question is was this plan A? For arguments sake let's say Marshall agrees to an extension, we land Hightower, and Cutler shows interest in a one year deal..chances are if all that happens Harris and Decker are not cut..was that plan A? If so that's 6 or 7 win same old Jets.

NCJetsfan and JetLifeLo like this.
  8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

We still released everyone that we released after the peak of free agency though, that's what I'm getting at. They didn't attempt to clear space until after...which led me to think that the rebuild by completely sweeping the roster clean of old, slow, or expensive guys was last minute..we were also searching hard for a vet QB

9. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

It's possible. Maybe if there was an above average QB out there in FA who would sign with the Jets they would have tried to go for it... since there wasn't they decided to just burn it down. It also shows that they don't think that Hack or Petty can step in at this point and lead the team to the playoffs. It's better to just free up cap space for future seasons, dump all the expensive vets, and put out a team that's going to be willing to play for a future job and develop/grow together. All it takes is a great draft in 2018 along with some good FA signings and trades to make the team competitive again. That's how things work in the NFL.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

MODERATORS: Would you please add the word "Complete" before the word "Rebuild" in the title? Thanks!

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Catheter? Bucket under the desk? Boss Coke bottle?

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think the writing was on the wall when all our vets either sucked or got hurt. I also think that Mac is a realist and knew winning the division was next to impossible and in order to win in this league you need a FQB and the most successful way of acquiring one is in the draft with a top 2 pick. Mac did his homework and knows it's a great QB class and if we're ever going to dethrone you know who we need young studs.

13. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Where are you getting $90 million?

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Probably closer to $72-$75M, currently at $66.3M based on the cap being raised to $178M. Forte probably gone next season recovers $3M, Revis will probably get signed so figure between $3m and $6M added to the cap, those 2 moves puts the cap at $72.3M-$75.3M.

If Richardson gets traded this season that moves it to $80.3M-$83.3M, If Deon Simon shows enough in camp maybe they cut McLendon and get back another $3M, McLendon is 32 so it does go with the youth movement, $83.3M-$86.3M.

Of course all hypothetical but over $80M cap space is not that far out there.

#54 The Waterboy, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  15. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it matters all that much (all that matters to me is that they are doing the "right thing" now . . . at least in my eyes), but I personally think it is likely they have been preparing for a rebuild since the end of the season, at the very latest.

King Koopa likes this.
  16. slimjasi

Holy fuck, you are the Wilt Chamberlain of word count.

17. slimjasi

1) This is me. Caffeine addicts unite.

2) What I find particularly amusing about this picture is that the rest of the desk seems reasonably neat (from what we can see). If only he had that trash can . . .

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm wondering if the rebuilding movement extends to the janitorial staff as well?

That picture is either the result of a scouting meeting that just broke up or Mac has consumed a lethal dose of caffeine over the last day or the rookie janitor missed a room on his sweep of the place.

NCJetsfan and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great point. I guess we will never know, but they clearly did not have a definitive plan in place.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don't mind it if they went for a few guys in FA to make a run and then decided to change back to a full rebuild once they weren't getting those players

It shows me that Macc is flexible and able to adjust on the fly based on the situation

Nothing worse than half assing anything so a full tear down is nice to see