Vince Young a 6??? SO WHAT?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by crazylion26, Feb 26, 2006.

1. crazylion26

crazylion26 New Member

Listen. I understand that the test is not the hardest of all. And I understand that a 6 might qualify you as mentally challenged. However, Vince Young is not going to be drafted to take his SATs on the sidelines. He's drafted to play football, and 6 or no 6, that's where he excells.

Some people have a knack for certain things, and others don't. Youngs knack is football. His ability alone is unbelievable. It's called strengths and weaknesses. People, he played football for Texas. A National Champion and a contender for the past 3 seasons (maybe more). Do you think a school like Texas has a 4 page playbook? But Young can't read, so he can't follow any playbook, i guess. BS. College playbooks are deep. Not as deep as the NFL, but still deep.

I played football (will not disclose where), but it was D1. I can honestly say our FB was dumb as shit. i mean, real dumb. We used to tease him because his SAT scores was a 105 on Math and a 217 on Verbal. I'll never forget it. This is no joke, he honestly wouldn't be able to tell you who the President of the US was. I'm not kidding. Were talking like Howard Stern radio bimbo dumb. We ran a 78 page playbook. Honestly, I don't care how dumb he was, when our OC called 48 right cutback motion 6, he knew exactlly what hole to hit and what LB to pick up. I Right 24 Squeeze, and he was with a different LB. He hardley EVER missed a block, or dropped a handoff or a pass. Our RB relied on him so well, he attributed almost all of his success to him. On a 78 page playbook.... and he could read... barely.

The point is, dumb or not, we're not in the classroom. Some of these players have been playing football and living, eating, breatheing football since Pop-Warner leagues, and where they might not know how many degrees are in a circle, they could tell you on any given play what the defense is going to bring, whos blitzing, and who is going to be open based on 1 step the SS makes. They never cared about math, and the never cared about english. Why? Because they didn't have to. Because their level of play was so much higher than anyone elses, it didn't matter.

This might be a bad final point, but remember Rainman? I'm not saying Young is autistic, but you get my point. Dumb as hell, but could tell you how many toothpicks fell on the floor in seconds. Numbers was his thing, and football is Young's. DONT count this guy out.

2. CP to LC =TD

CP to LC =TD New Member

Great post man

3. jaybo1015

jaybo1015 New Member

yes, it doesnt really matter but this isnt a 4th rounder here. this is vince young, who someone will draft to be their franchise qb. he will need to understand so many things in the nfl and if (FOR EXAMPLE) leinhart scores a 30 or something, who are you taking, leinhart or young?

i wonder if he can spell tommoro

lol

4. crazylion26

crazylion26 New Member

lol, please... not across 3 posts now, haha. I understand what you guys are saying, I'm just saying I'm willing to bet that he can learn anything the NFL has to throw at him about football. That's his strength.

5. jaybo1015

jaybo1015 New Member

ill agree with that

6. lightning

lightning Active Member

Well, he's never had to read a defense before, it's hard to say if he even has the mental capacity for that

7. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I agree, I don't put a lot of stock in it. I'm sure the NFL playbooks are a lot more complicated, but if he was really that football stupid than he wouldn't have been able to read them in college either imo.

I don't think Young will be a great pro, but it has nothing to do with this.

8. Russ Reign

Russ Reign New Member

Im willin to bet the farm he didn't really get a 6... Such BS... people have obviously not looked into this man's academic achievement level when throwing this number out... He was a math and science tutor for God's sake...

9. Cinvis

Cinvis New Member

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

COMBINE OFFICIAL SCREWED UP VINCE'S WONDERLIC

A league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when totaling the number of right answers.

Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group. NFL teams will get the official Wonderlic results for all players later in the week.

On Saturday, there was widespread chatter at the combine that Young got only six out of 50 questions right on the standard test used by the NFL to gauge player intelligence. The Nashville Tennessean corroborated the reports of the low score in its Sunday edition.

Whether the actual number was 6 or 50 or something in between remains to be seen.

It's a major embarrassment, in our view, for the folks who put on the combine. Because it's inevitable that this information will get out (indeed, Pro Football Weekly got their mitts on the full Wonderlic results from the 2005 combine), it's critical that the folks charged with grading the tests get it right.

It's even more important that the scores are right before the information is leaked.

We have a feeling that this one could get interesting. Stay tuned.

10. crazylion26

crazylion26 New Member

i had a feeling something was wrong

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Must've been a really long time ago, because years ago (when they still only had verbal and math) they made it a 200/200 minimum.

12. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

But he's black. And athletic. Obviously that means he's illiterate because the test said so. Not that I'm racist. I have no racist bone in my body.

13. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Jesus, way to make me feel old man. "Years ago".

But yeah, it was 200 minimum back when I took it myself. "You get 200 just getting your name right." Maybe he got his name wrong...

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Well, it was years ago. ;)

200 isn't for getting your name right. I always hated that misnomer. 200 is just for taking the test. If you didn't put your name down and got all the Qs wrong, you got a 400, but they wouldn't know whose score it was.

Way, way back, they didn't have the dumb minimum, so people could try for 0s. That was quite an accomplishment.

15. Knowledge

Knowledge New Member

what do you mean so what so you rather tell me that you want a dumb qb or someone that is smart Vince young is so dumb is gpa in college is a 2.4 what does that tell you all he like to do is play football after football is career is over from knowledge vince has no knowledge but Reggie Mcneal do come man your wack for that

16. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Welcome aboard. What is your Wonderlic score?

17. lightning

lightning Active Member

take that shit somewhere else, theres no need for that

18. lightning

lightning Active Member

his name is knowledge....

19. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

I might agree with that. I don't know. I'll work on it and come back.

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Hence, the apparent irony