Vikings!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by gustoonarmy, Apr 17, 2014.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Warning, Thread Contains Spoilers!

No not the Football team.

This lot....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now into series 2 with season 3 guaranteed.

#1 gustoonarmy, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. gustoonarmy

I wouldn't go too much with Wiki - http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/10717666.Lanchester_____birthplace_of_a_unified_kingdom_/
    The locals around the area (and farmers) regually pull up relics from that era so it looks like the Dr is right on this one, funny that over in the Wirral (some 150 miles away) that they have a trail and heritage site. That's a bit like the battle of Hastings being fought in London.

Yeah I think you're right they are pulling historical figures and facts and gluing them together which is making some good story lines.

3. gustoonarmy

Yeah all of a sudden Bjorn is like a man mountain, it would have helped.

The whole Jax/Ragnor thing has been done. I've even Tweeted Kurt Sutter saying how much of a good storyline it could be for Jax to have a long lost twin...identical?
    [​IMG]

Dunno why but my GF would like to see this as well :rolleyes:

Harry Banus likes this.
  4. gustoonarmy

Yeah John Teller was a dirty dog over in NI

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Not sure why but I couldn't get into the first couple of episodes and actually stopped watching it but still had it set to record. Went back and tried it again and I am glad I did. Great show.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was mainly going off random history sites, your link shows that Althestan defeated the Viking invaders in 937, the more I look, the more it looks like the Great Heathen Army (led by Ragnar's sons) invaded Northumbria around 860 or thereabouts. The more I read on this the more I feel like I'm ruining some cool plot twists for myself.

7. abyzmul

That kind of annoyed me at first, but they basically skipped a bunch of idle time and advanced the plot a lot, and I don't think they did a bad job with the transition.

8. gustoonarmy

Yeah I think you're right with the 'artistic license' on these events. I would definitely stop reading up on it though ;)

I'm not sure where things will go with the baby with a serpents eye, hopefully a baddy .

I liked the episode with Ragnar and King Ecbert where he said how much he liked England and wanted to farm there because I think thats pretty much in keeping with how things went.
    From a historical point of view the show is exploding most peoples perceptions on how and what Vikings were all about....and they didn't wear horned/winged helmets..

SHIELD WALL! ha ha

9. gustoonarmy

Yeah we kind of stumbled on it.
    We finished watching Lillyhammer and were looking for something else to watch. I kicked myself after realising that it Little Steven that was playing the lead *facepalm*

10. abyzmul

Yeah, not sure about that shield wall... did they pick that up from the Romans? And where's my frigging berserkers?

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Im a fan of the show, this season has been immensely better then last year. They also have terrific battle scenes. Way better then most other shows. Also the acting of the King in England is good. Big fan

I'm having a tough time keeping my attention with the new AMC show Turn...I like the period of 1778 and the secret spy storyline but its a bit slow for me

12. abyzmul

Yeah, King Ecbert just turned out to be a really interesting character. The acting overall has been really good, same with the writing.

13. abyzmul

I read an interesting theory recently about Floki, mainly that he is the god Loki, walking among mortal men, helping guide their path, and not entirely with their best interests in mind.

14. gustoonarmy

He speaks more like a tormented soul. Schizophrenic psychopath nice traits.... One thing for sure is that now Ragnor has found Athelstan it will push Floki further towards the treacherous King Horic.

Had to laugh at the scene with King Ecbert and Princess sexy.... "Good luck.." on telling his men to go and 'assist' the princess in her bedtime hobbies

15. abyzmul

LOL yeah, she's an interesting new character. I can see Ragnar throwing his hot dog down her hallway at some point.

Floki, something tells me the last episode is setting up Ragnar making a power move on Horik. I know the sidescenes with Floki seem like he's edging toward loyalty to Horik, but his lines are kind of vague and noncommittal, like he's just thinking out loud. I don't see him betraying Ragnar.

16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Battle of Clontarf- movie should be made, but not some bullshit, it has to be Speilberg shit.

Brian Boru- the closest Irish King to ever unite Ireland. He defeated the Vikings but was killed when he sent his men to rush the retreating Vikings. Vikings had a party flank him and kill him unguarded. One of the Irish tribes never engaged in the battle, costed them their closest Irish king.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The best part of this series was seeing a helicopter in the background in Season 1. I notice all. I'm sure it's been erased forever. I laughed so hard, I could hardly move.

18. abyzmul

I may be wrong, but just by the ominous scenes for the season finale shown, they're probably intentionally misleading, and Floki and Ragnar have been playing Horik this whole time, and Floki and Siggy both turn on Horik, and there's a possibility that Ragnar is king going into the next season.

19. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Even though the truce with Ecbert was obviously some kind of set up to where he ultimately tries to crush Ragnar after the mercs help the princess, the previews made it look like he was really pissed Athelstan left and I am wondering if that will push him to go against the truce and attack again.

I don't think Floki has been playing Horik, I think he was pissed at Ragmar because of Athelstan and now that he is back it may push Floki more to Horiks side but when he learns of Horik trying to take out Ragnar's kids I think that would put him squarely back behind Ragnar.

20. abyzmul

The show's content obviously points toward Floki shifting loyalty to Horik, I'm just not buying it. Up until the Horik scenario, Floki is portrayed much like Loki the god, a trickster who tries to control the path of man. A deceiver.

I do think that Floki could end up being Ragnar in the future, just not for the likes of Horik. His character has been too well portrayed up until now just for him too be an easily manipulated pawn like it appears.

He knows the real enemy of his gods is in England and saw it first-hand last episode.

It may be I'm completely wrong and the writers are screwing the pooch, because if he isn't working behind the scenes and is being manipulated by Horik so easily, then they really fucked his character up badly.