Updated: Who still needs a QB in the draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 12, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Browns: trading for taylor isn't stopping them from drafting one
    Bills: Traded taylor and traded for ammo to move up in the draft
    Vikes: haven't resigned any QB yet, chasing cousins possibly
    Broncos: haven't done anything yet
    Jets: Obviously
    Saints: brees isn't resigned, could go to the vikes
    Giants: Eli is 37 but they could opt to wait a year or 2

The browns pick twice in front of us, the giants and broncos pick in front as well. The bills have enough ammo to move up to 3-4. The browns could opt to take a QB at 4 and take barkely 1st. Where can Qbs be drafted?

1) browns
    2) Giants
    3) bills (via trade with colts)
    4) Browns (if they don't take one at 1) or Bills (via trade with browns)
    5) Broncos
    6) Jets

So out of the top 6 picks, realistically 5 of them could be aimed towards QB. it'll never happen though realistically.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

QB needs are the same as before free agency started with exception to the Vikings. Every team in the top Six with the possible exception of the Colts should have QB as a need. The Giants will take one if they are smart about the future as Eli is nearing the end. Every other team made short term QB moves that have little to no effect on the draft.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It might, 4 of them anyway but it may not still be the 5 teams that have those picks now doing the picking. They say the QBs coming out over the next two years are not all that good so if you want one you better get it this year.

4. GasedAndConfused

I don't worry too much about that. i mean in 2017 everyone said darnold was the best QB prospect in a decade guaranteed to go 1st overall whenever he comes out, now he many not even make the top 5. The draft board if fickle

5. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Sam Darnold is still the best prospect since Andrew Luck , Sam Darnold is the first overall pick i dont know what you reading to contradict this information . There is no chance the Jets get Sam Darnold sadly.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Correct, if Cleveland doesn't take him the Giants will and if the Giants don't Indy will and if Indy don't Cleveland will with #4.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing that is going to drop a QB to the Jets is that we're a month plus out from the draft. By draft day the consensus is going to have gathered on a couple of guys as the best option and those are going to be the guys everybody is looking to trade up for.

My best guess is that Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are going to be the two guys at a premium this year. Josh Allen has experience in a pro set at Wyoming but his results there were not impressive enough to guarantee him a slot at the top of the draft. Baker Mayfield is going to be too much of an outlier in several respects for teams to view him as a guarantee. Lamar Jackson could still break the top 5 however I think he's going to go mid-first round.

So the likely scenario is the Browns take Sam Darnold at #1.
    The Giants take either Josh Rosen or Saquon Barkley at #2.

Then if Rosen went at #2 the Colts just take Barkley to take some of the pressure off of Luck in their attempt to rehabilitate him. If Barkley went at #2 there will be a free-for-all for the Colts #3 pick as teams vie for the chance to take Rosen. The price in that situation will be very high and realistically only teams willing to give up a lot of draft capital this year and next will be in the running.

The Browns take the BPA at 4, and a very good player will fall to 4, barring a blockbuster offer for a pick after the first two QB's and Barkley are off the board. I think it's unlikely anybody will see the way clear to trade up for the 3rd QB in this draft but animal instincts may dominate at this point for the teams that missed out or bowed out on the #3 pick sweepstakes.

The Broncos have the choice of taking Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield however those guys are not going to be the BPA at this point and they probably take a passrusher, DB or OL here depending on who they view as the BPA. If Darnold or Rosen somehow dropped to this slot they would be all over it but they have real needs elsewhere and they're not going to pass up a great player for a good QB prospect this high in the draft.

So the Jets have lots of choices at 6 and they probably include Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson.

8. GasedAndConfused

that's quite false. While I don't think the jets will get darnold many mocks have barkely going 1st overall not darnold and many others have rosen as the 1st QB off the boards. It's highly likely darnold won't be the 1st QB or 1st pick this draft.

walter fotoball
    barkley at 1, darnold at 2 to the bills

NFL.com
    3 pick darnold 1st overall, 1 picks barkely and darnold 2nd to the giants

CBS
    barkely, darnold, chubb, allen, allen, allen for the 6 mocks as the 1st overall pick

I will say though, it seems this week everyone updated their drafts and moved darnold up he was much lower prior to this week on most drafts and rosen was the top consensus QB before in the earlier mock drafts.

Personally I said the 2 Qbs i like this class are darnold and jackson and with cousins going to minn and us signing 2 vets to 1 year deals, our 1st round pick has to be a QB IMO this draft

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Seems more and more each day I'm warming towards the Jets taking Baker over Allen - not only do I think he can start/progress quicker, but he would be exciting to watch. He has that 'attitude' that the Jets really need.

GQMartin and nicg4360 like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

good analysis,I'm still not sure Cleveland passes up barkely though. Even if we assume 2 and 3 are QBs taken and those 2 are darnold and rosen, that would still leave them allen, mayfield, and jackson to take at 4. If they take darnold or rosen 1st, I can't see barkely going to Cleveland. They just traded for taylor and landry. gordon is back. coleman has potential. they let crowell walk. Their are building a "now offense" and QB isn't going to help them this year. they just went 1-31 in the past 2 seasons, They are going for win now mode. barkely is the best boost to that offense in this draft by far

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think it's a crapshoot overall but especially after Rosen and Darnold are off the board.

The thing that worries me about Baker Mayfield is that he'll be all about Baker Mayfield the Brand and that does not bode well for any team that has him first and maybe not for his second team either. Mayfield has bucked the status quo to do what he wanted to do several times in college. He's sure of his abilities and of his right to maximize the potential benefits to him in any given situation.

He walked on to two teams and won the starting QB job both times. That's talent and drive. However he walked away from his first team and chose to sit out a season (by NCAA mandate for a transfer) so he could get in a better position with more control in the end.

What's he going to do in the NFL? Is his first team just a stepping stone to the position he really covets? Entitled players are very hard to deal with (see Darrelle Revis for an example). Entitled players who are about something other than money first can be impossible.

Just to clarify: what if Baker Mayfield is all about being the Dallas Cowboys starting QB after growing up rooting for them?

Does anybody think he's going to sign a second NFL contract with the team that drafts him if he knows Jerry Jones will pay him in Dallas?

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of this but think it’s going to be Darnold & Allen at the top. When Darnold goes 1 overall there will be a mad scramble by teams like the Bills, Cards, Broncos & possibly Jets to get up for Allen.

NFL is so obsessed with the prototype QB that I’m gonna be surprised if Mayfield doesn’t last til 6. To me Rosen has the scariest question marks with his concussion history and will go later than he should.

nicg4360 likes this.
  13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I can understand your forward thinking with Baker as with his personality it may be a 'me first' issue when resigning him. But you know what? I see that about with nearly 100% of the FA's doing the same anyway. It's always the risk with having the luxury of drafting a player that makes a big impact and then shoots for the moon for the open market. If he can still manage to go the Cowboys with their QB presently in place, more power to him, but it is a rare thing for a FA to pick and chose if money is the object.

Look at it as a plus - if Baker makes the grade as a very good to excellent starter, I think the Jets have the deep pockets to keep him here.