Two Asst. Coaches Hired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 13, 2019.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

It looks like a couple of Adam Gase’s former colleagues will be joining him in New York.

According to a report by SiriusXM radio host Alex Marvez, Kris Kocurek and Frank Bush are expected to follow Gase from the Dolphins to the Jets. In Miami, Kocurek coached the defensive line, while Bush worked with the linebackers.

A former defensive tackle with the Seattle Seahawks and Tennessee Titans, Kocurek spent one year working with Gase in Miami. Prior to that, he spent nine years in Detroit as the Lions’ defensive line coach. There, he helped turn players such as Ndomakung Suh and Nick Fairley into All-Pro selections.

Bush is a veteran of the profession who has worked as an assistant coach since 1993. A fifth-round selection of the Houston Oilers in 1985, Bush was forced to retire only a year into his career due to a narrow spinal canal, which made it too risky for him to continue playing.

Email
    Like this article?
    Sign up for the Jets Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Following his retirement, Bush became a college scout for the Oilers, a role in which he remained from 1987-1992. A year later, he became Houston’s linebackers coach and stayed with the team until 1995. Since then, Bush has worked with the Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals, Houston Texans, Tennessee Titans, Los Angeles Rams and most recently, the Miami Dolphins.

With the Texans, Bush worked as Houston’s defensive coordinator from 2009-2010. Since 2017, he has served as Miami’s assistant head coach and linebackers coach.

Kocurek and Bush are the first member of Gase’s staff with the Dolphins to follow him to New York. There could be more on the way, as Gase’s offensive coordinator in 2018, Dowell Loggains, has been linked to the Jets.

[​IMG]
    Jeff Darlington

✔@JeffDarlington

Barring any contractual snags, you can expect Dowell Loggains to join Adam Gase as his main offensive assistant with the Jets, sources say. Loggains served as Gase’s offensive coordinator in Miami in 2018.

7:21 PM - Jan 9, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

383 people are talking about this

With the news that the Jets are on the verge of hiring Gregg Williams as their defensive coordinator and the expected additions of Kocurek and Bush, New York’s defensive staff is beginning to come together. Vacancies remain in the secondary and at outside linebacker, but those will likely be filled once Williams officially takes over.

almbleamal and BudJet like this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I like the idea that his Miami coaches are willing to return to work with Gase. Maybe he isn't that hard to get along with after all. We will see when THEY HIRE WILLIAMS!!!! I am sure Williams will like the idea that it's his defense to run no questions asked, as we know Gase is a offensive guy & will be more than happy to give the reins to Williams. This also is a good sign that they are going to sign Williams because I'm sure they have discussed with Williams about the defense coaches they will be hiring, and if Williams didn't like them, Williams would have backed out of the job by now, & I haven't heard any negative things to that effect.

#2 BudJet, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    boozer32 likes this.
  3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

This is an incredible coincidence that Mac and his team handpicked 2 coaches from Gase’s prior staff and forced them on Gase.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Don’t know much about either of these guys but I am going to hate the hires anyway.

stinkyB, jixxjr, jetophile and 6 others like this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

haha yep that flies in the face of some of the whining going on.

I just hope Wiliams is onboard with those selections, and that we don't lose him over Gase forcing his guys into the mix.

6. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

As soon as we fire Adam Gase we will be heading in the right direction.

IIMeanDeanII, Leicester Jet and Noam like this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah that makes sense

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

"Kocurek spent one year working with Gase in Miami. Prior to that, he spent nine years in Detroit as the Lions’ defensive line coach
    There, he helped turn players such as Ndomakung Suh and Nick Fairley into All-Pro selections."

What deceptive b.s. Ndamuking Suh was an overall #2 pick and Nick Fairley an overall #13 pick. Both were overwhelmingly dominant players dripping with elite talent coming out of Nebraska and Auburn respectively (Fairley's only issue was controlling his weight).

Nebraska vs. Texas: Suh was a one-man wrecking crew....a man among boys.

#8 joe, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    stinkyB likes this.
  9. I would disagree about Fairley.He was a great prospect coming out but he relied completely on size,quickness & explosion at Aubur. He badly needed to be taught pad level, hand usage & disengagement technique.

10. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Just to show you how blinded I am with my disappointment for over 30 years......

I thought the title of this thread was

“Two Asshat Coaches Hired”

LoL

NoodleArm, IIMeanDeanII and K'OB like this.
  11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

My point was taking issue with the inference that Kocurek himself was the reason Fairley became an all-pro and that Fairley was all-talent and no technique coming out of Auburn. i.e. that "this particular coach" was the primary reason he became all-pro.