TurnontheJets: Ranking the New York Jets Roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoWilkNYJ, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think Hill is a freak athlete and a bad football player. We see these guys all the time. They are projects, sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. He's very unphysical for how big he is, he struggles against press cover and I can't even count how many times he's caught an 8 yd hitch and failed to fight for the first down vs a 190 pound corner. The dropsies don't help. I don't expect anything from this kid anymore, hope I'm wrong about him. He still has time.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The first half of the season has been about Nick Folk not missing FG's, going 12-12 from 40+. 12 for 12 from 40+! It's been about the pass rush. It been about the other two guys in the front 6 in Harris and Davis. It's been about Geno Smith.

Everything else is like a side bar at this point.

3. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

Thanks! And turnonthejets has some good stuff.

And I'd have to take Wilkerson. You just need one lineman to get to the quarterback but all cornerbacks need to maintain their assignments. Revis was definitely very valuable, but wilk might be more.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Best coaching staff we've had in years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

5. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Great list. My only objection would be Holmes at 12. Based on talent, maybe,
    but he'll never stay healthy long enough to be really useful IMHO.

6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

This part..

46. Rontez Miles – The newest Jet has a chance to be a major special teams contributor, and don’t be surprised to see Rex Ryan work him into some defensive packages as well.

Makes no sense. Rontez Miles is not at all the newest Jet.

Anyway, it's a good amateur list. It's not a real report, and I feel like I could do better, but it IS about projecting how players will be, and not how great the players are right now in the minds of people. Overall, it was a good read, but I disagree a lot with a few of them.

7. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

He was just signed from the practice squad to the active roster this week. He is the newest Jet on the active roster, even if he's been with the practice squad since the season started

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Who is he? What position would he play (ST and D) if he were to be put on the field?

9. NFL

NFL Active Member

He has ONE drop this season. And when the ball was being thrown, he was being productive.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Austin Howard at #9? Really? He's stepped up but he's not that great and his pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Hill game by game:

Bucs - 9 targets, 6 catches, 39 yards.
    Pats 1 - 8 targets, 4 catches, 86 yards.
    Bills - 6 targets, 3 catches, 108 yards, 1 TD.
    Titans - 1 target
    Falcons - 2 targets, 2 catches, 21 yards.
    Steelers - 8 targets, 3 catches, 46 yards.
    Pats 2 - 5 targets, 1 catch, 17 yards.
    Bengals - 7 targets, 4 catches, 23 yards.
    Saints - 1 target.

Since game 3 Hill has 24 targets, 10 catches, 107 yards.

This isn't on Marty Mornhinweg and it isn't on Geno Smith. Other people are catching the ball just fine in the Jets rotating triage at WR. Hill has just disappeared.

Not coincidentally Geno's turnovers have gone down as he has stopped looking Hill's way as often. He's basically ignoring Hill except on the underneath routes when he's under pressure and must complete a pass to keep a drive going. He's not ignoring him because he wants too. He's ignoring him because throwing the ball deep to Hill turns into a turnover too often.

Hill BTW is the anti-Stedman Bailey. He's huge and he has great physical attributes but he can't outfight his own grandmother for a pass in the air.

#31 Br4d, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. laxin

laxin Active Member

Its not all about the drops, ya know. Its about being productive, and being a football player. Hill cant create separation.

Everyone says he's a freak athlete, but in my eyes a freak athlete must be able to do something besides run in a straight line very fast. Fluidity and agility is MORE important than straight line speed. This is the major difference in why Hill will never be anything special at the position.

Add in the fact that his catching radius is that of a 5'9 WR because he cant high-point a ball and you have the reason why he isnt targeted a lot.

13. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I think people are also underestimating the hit Hill took earlier this year. He needs to find a way to recover but it is possible that between the hit and having way too much asked of him this season could be largely lost after a pretty good start.

Edit:
    Look at the list of Hill's catches above in this thread. It was the Titans game, very early on, when Hill took that hit to the head that I've mentioned.

In the NFL there is a lot of discussion of the long term consequences of concussions but less so of the short term ramifications. In hockey it is largely the opposite (although long term is getting more
    notice). There have been some excellent hockey players ruined by hits to the head. They kept playing but they were never quite the same. I am worried Hill is experiencing that phenomenon. Hopefully he will recover with some time......

#33 Aewhistory, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. Aewhistory

Delete please.

15. Aewhistory

The problem is there have been multiple times this season where the announcers noted that Geno missed Hill when he was wide open. Also, a goodly portion of Hill's targets have been long passes which are notoriously low completion and high reward. This isn't to say he has been great, but when you factor in that he is getting pushed up to no. 1 when he isn't at that level yet, probably being covered by the best CB of our opponent, has taken a nasty smack to the head that's seems to have changed his game, and has been missed when open then it just isn't surprising that his stats don't look great. Or maybe I'm just pulling for him.... but I think he will be a pleasant surprise next year barring injury.

16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Pleasant surprise based on what? 2 good games against the Bills? People were echoing your same sentiments last year. You're grasping at straws now.

17. J--E--T--S

J--E--T--S New Member

Good list in general. I have a few disagreements, but overall not bad. The tone is quite optimistic though- every player who's having a terrible season so far is on pace to have a great second half. Here's hoping...

18. Aewhistory

Honestly, yes. Players have been given contracts based on not much more than fluke performances. Now you may be right, but the biggest dig on Hill coming into this year is that he had the dropsies. Those first two games, and even since then, has shown that he has dealt with that problem. So if he is able to develop further and put (what in my opinion is) this injury related slow down I do think he will be pleasant surprise next year. after all, Geno will have another year under his belt, the offense will have more talent (can it have less?) and Hill will have more experience. Consider this: if he was able to put the dropsies behind him I don't see why he can't overcome some of the bad habits he is showing now. That's my figuring. But you are correct that I am going on a small sample size.

19. WildDuckCT

WildDuckCT Active Member

Just cut today, when Winslow was activated, so I guess he slips down to #54.