Trout vs Cabrera for AL MVP

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

He was pointing out that guys who have had even better years did not win the Triple Crown, because there is an element of luck added to the equation.

So would you say Cabrera's 2012 season is superior to Ruth's 1921 season?

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That means nothing unless they have better years in the same year..when all of the pitchers that are pitching are being faced by the same people, when the ball is exactly the same, etc..comparing Albert Pujols to Yastremski 36 years later may set the record for ridiculous blogging drivel. There will always be somebody who has a better year in the next century or two but that doesn't take away from what you did in the year you did it.

3. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

OK Don, now explain how the writer was saying that someone should win the Triple Crown every year.

4. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

While you're reasoning is stupid because the Angels play in a much better division and had a better record as they should because they have better players. However in spite of your reasoning I agree that he should get it because it's safe to say that without Cabrera the Tigers don't win the division. He has carried them on his back into the playoffs. Watching a bit of the Angels albiet not that much the last month I think the Angels would probably be in similar scenarion without Trout.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You are penalizing Trout because the White Sox are worse than the Athletics and Rangers.

6. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

It's got to be Cabrera. He is probably going to win the triple crown. I think Trout is well deserving, but Cabrera has absolutely raked this year.

7. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

I'm penalizing Tour because his offensive numbers aren't as good as Cabrera's. While his numbers would be better if he had a full season of at bats.. that's just too bad.

8. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Trout and it's not really close. And it's not a battle of this "new school" vs "old school" crap. Defense and baserunning matter. And Cabrera only had a <40 point higher OPS than Trout. Do 40 points make up the difference between gold glove caliber defense, ~50 SB at a >90% rate as opposed to bad defense and 4 SB? Hell no.

And if you want to talk about "rare" feats, then Trout has that edge too. First player EVER to hit 30 homers, steal 45, and score 125 runs in a season.

9. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Good lord that's some of the worst reading comprehension I've ever seen.

10. nyy486

nyy486 New Member

Obviously, when there's a 60 year gap between triple crown winners, and those seasons that win it are hardly a 1-in-60 quality year, it takes exponentially more luck to have a year where there are no 1-category standouts, than to have a winner "every year". Pretty elementary probability/variance logic.

11. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Homerun or bust. This team will go nowhere in the postseason against the best pitching.

12. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Trout faced stronger pitching. Compare the pitching in the AL West to the AL Central. It's no contest.

Then think about the ballparks. Three of the 4 AL West parks (including the Angels home stadium) are clear pitcher's parks.

Adjust for that, and Trout's hitting stats would grade out higher than Cabrera's anyway, and that's without taking into account baserunning and defense.

13. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Cabrera without a doubt.

14. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Me and my friends played against Trout in HS. Best friend gave up his last HR, NJ State record. The Triple Crown is an outdated prize. It's a fact that all three stats are overrated. Trout does much more things on the baseball than Cabrera does. He doesn't have Prince Fielder protecting him. He plays incredible defense. He's a nightmare on the bases. Cabrera is an atrocious defensive player and clogs up the base paths. Trout for MVP

15. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Triple Crown winner and MVP Miguel Cabrera.

This isn't like inducting Jim Rice to the HOF, Trout probably had the better season, but I'm impressed with the triple crown all the same.

Triple Crown! Imagine