Trenton Cannon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Aug 5, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Was at the scrimmage today and felt that this deserved its own thread. Hot Take!

The kid is explosive in space. If they can use him like Matt Forte he could have a huge year.

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

In the green & white scrimmage he seemed to do it all catch passes, run well, & what I like is he picked up a blitz that gave Sam time to complete a 30 yard pass. He is definitely a keeper. Let's hope they don't try a Danny Wooded on him & try to sneak him onto the practice squad. I could definitely see next year's backfield being Crowell, Cannon, & Mcguire.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Once McGuire returns, can we afford to keep 4 RB's on our 53 in Crowell, Powell, McGuire & Cannon? And don't forget Dimitri Flowers as a potential undrafted rookie to Jets starting FB.

I ask why not. Especially with a rookie QB. And use a 4 headed rushing attack with fresh legs every series of every drive. And create an identity in the run game with a defense to that's ready for primetime. Keep those guys fresh and opposing offenses off the field.

Think 2009. Rookie QB. Sanchez. Defensive minded H.C. Rex. We ran the ball more than any team. Fast forward to 2018. Could be rookie QB. Darnold. Defensive minded H.C. Bowles.

The similarities are there.

Why not open up a vertical passing attack with all of these WR threats for Darnold behind a 1-2-3-4 punch? With his rollout ability our passing attack can flourish with a threat of a backfield full of versatility.

#3 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Acad23 and Freddy Mondo like this.
  4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If he is making as many plays in preseason games as he is in practice, there is no reason for him to be on the practice squad. Last time I checked, the Jets offense needs playmakers in the worst way.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Cannon looked to be extremely fast in space. Hopefully Cannon can develop into something special.

That being said, Crowell is the best running back on the team right now.

Brook!, FJF, 101GangGreen101 and 2 others like this.
  7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Being cautiously optimistic but have seen this enough in the past to know to wait for the games to start. We've had young runners who start off camp like this before. Set the world on fire. Can't remember their names. Why? Because when it turned real most revert to their draft level. Hopefully our luck is changing and we can get our Terrell Davis!

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

@Harpua: ring a bell? . . : )

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

No he's not. And he's too small

10. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

If he's clearly the best returner he'll be rostered this season. Let's hamper expectations however, weight wise he's around the same as Tarik Cohen and Chris Thompson . Though he is a decent bit taller than both at 5'11" so he may be more Alvin Kamara sized (5'10"/215) if he was to bulk up, but you always run the risk of losing some of that explosion.

Keep in mind Thompson and Cohen are considered strictly gadget 3rd down guys, and even Kamara at his size and his level of production last season wasn't used in a feature role. I guess the first 4 weeks of the season will be a good kamara experiment.

IMO I think the real star of this running back core is hurt right now.

EDIT: I just had to go watch some video on Cannon at practice and a few shots of him on the field. I would just like to re-affirm my stance on this size topic. He is quite slight even in comparison to Cohen and Thompson who both look like fire hydrants at their height, same with Kamara. Only once have I seen a RB at this size hold up and he actually played for the Jets but I would wager he was much heavier then, Chris Johnson.

May I direct your attention to the play 4:50 in where Cannon makes a surge into the endzone and gets folded up like a lawn chair by a CB or a safety that looks like their about 190-200lbs.

#10 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Was there last night, Cannon was impressive. He’s tough as nails, has quickness and top gear, but what impressed me most was his hands. He makes the roster + will be a 3rd down nightmare matchup for other teams. Gotta give Jets brass credit for finding him.

boozer32, playtowinthegame and Brook! like this.
  12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Trent “canton” cannon.

Too soon?

stinkyB, LF911SC, Jets69 and 4 others like this.
  13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Would be great to have a home run hitter in the back field.

LF911SC and playtowinthegame like this.
  14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Trenton with a Capital T that rhymes with C that stands for Cannon fodder.

15. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jethro and his hot takes. I love it. Lol.

LF911SC, joe, Mogriffjr and 4 others like this.
  16. I wanna see him hit the hole,turn the corner & make people miss in a live game.When i saw his tape way back when i had a very good feeling about him.His lateral movement & agility are off the charts w 4.4 speed to boot

17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I love this thread! :D

LF911SC likes this.
  18. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Fast running backs always look good in camp. We’ll see how good he looks when he can get popped.

BrowningNagle and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Powell likely will be the 3rd down back either way. But in the event of the usual Powell injury, that's when you hope Cannon can make his mark. I wonder how he's doing as a KR/PR...

LF911SC likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

He's probably the fastest player on our roster, including Robby Anderson. Yes. He's blazing fast.

I wouldn't say best back on our roster though.

Crowell is a Smash-Mouth wrecking ball. Powell is an all around back. And Elijah McGuire showed A+ potential as a rookie last year.

Only time will tell, but if he can bring our offense electricity coming out of the backfield as a scat back and as a dynamic weapon of a kick returner, as did Leon Washington; then he's a must keeper.