Training camp thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FJF, Jul 29, 2017.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but i believe it doesn't become fully guaranteed unless he makes the roster. That quote from Costello was working under the assumption that he would make the team because usually $6 million veteran QBs almost always make the team. If I'm wrong then I don't have a clue what the heck they are doing at Florham Park haha

2. I wanna think better of it all..really I do. But the handling of this QB situation(unless Mccown is hurt or there is something we dont know) & frankly competitions at a number of positions by Bowles has been a sore spot. It does make one wonder about the level of competence.

To still be screwing around w. the OL starting 5 this late into things when you're supposed to building chemistry & honing in on the finer details of a brand new scheme..The same BS went on last preseason at RT between Ijalana & Qvale. Qvale has now been in the running in 2 straight camps for starting RT job & has yet to step up. It's safe to say he is either a back-up or simply not what the Jets want him to be in a starting RT.

They'd really be better off just starting Shell. I understand he has not had a good camp nor preseason..but until proven otherwise he was a decent regular season game day player to end the year. He needs to be evaluated as much as possible under meaningful snaps to understand what his future is.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Are you deliberately trying to make us all depressed ? :(

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard? Misery loves company!!! ;):eek::cool: LOL

5. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

ha!

you are correct, if a qualifying vet has a non-guaranteed contract and is on a roster for week one, then their entire salary is guaranteed for that season

but it looks like mccowns contract was guaranteed the day that he signed it

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I am so confused as to what is going on. I mean Hack and Petty are getting a large bulk of reps again today. I am guessing either Hack or Petty start this preseason game. This is the dress rehearsal.

If McCown doesn't play this week and next week, I don't see how he starts WK1 against Buffalo ... 1 series the entire preseason.

almbleamal, Big Cat and FJF like this.
  7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Hue Jackson is splitting QB reps to FOUR different guys...Guess he doesn't know what he's doing and he's a QB "guru"...

8. 101GangGreen101

Kizer is starting week 3 preseason. Brock O isn't even going to play week 3.

Kizer might be the starter WK1. They have prepped him too, he looks decent through 2 preseason games.

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I have no idea what's happening

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That you Todd?

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Comes with the turf old buddy..

12. 101GangGreen101

we are going to merge all of the QBs like Voltron.

Fuck tanking, WE ARE THE TANK

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

maybe that's the plan. They aren't getting Mcclown ready because they are going to pick up Osweiler when the Browns release him. Petty & Hackenberg are battling for the final roster spot and the week 1 roster will have McCown/Osweiler/winner between Petty & Hack

I like to stir the pot

14. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Sounds like all the reporters are confused with the QB reps.

Here is where I am gonna be charitable with Bowles and the entire coaching staff. Maybe McCown got most of the reps early in camp because he knows the offense. And Petty got less reps because he is a slow learner and struggled early with the playbook. Hack is getting about the same reps now as he did earlier because he's smart.

They didnt want to hamstring the other players on offense so McCown got most of the reps early, but McCown was always gonna be a safety in case the young guys didnt work out.

Now that Petty seems to have been showing growth, he is getting McCowns reps. Fact is, you know McCown will be mediocre so if either of these guys know the playbook and can run the offense as well as McCown can you need to go with them.

15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Classic, I love the post....Voltron!

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That should have been the plan when we had vinny and chad

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Oh man. I can see the Jets picking up Osweiler. Very Jet thing to do. And Mac loves him some reclamation projects.

And just to prove how hard it is to identify QB talent, all pro and Super Bowl winning GM John Elway paid Osweiler a boatload of money and drafted Paxton Lynch in the first round last year, but they are rolling with 7th round pick Trevor Simian.

18. 101GangGreen101

Not sure if the world would've been ready for that ... also that QB would never freaking retire which would be so awesome.

Osweiler would be Voltron's arm and a damn good one. Sign this beast (after he gets cut).

But seriously, no way Jose lol unless he takes a big pay-cut.

FJF likes this.
  19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

We could merge the best attributes of the 3 QBs and it'd still barely be a starting caliber quarterback

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

but since this is the JETS, they would've merged those two with Namath's legs

NY Jets68, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.