Training Camp | Day 2 | Twitter Updates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Jul 31, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Day 2 is here. Defense "won" yesterdays session, let's hope the offense does better today.

What to watch for:

- QB's: Geno has to step up. He made some decent throws, some terrible throws. It was just day 1 but more consistency would be nice from him. Fitz was solid, Petty didn't get to do too much but he also had some good and bad throws but that's to be expected.

- RG competition: Brian Winters for pretty much the first time all year got the first couple reps with the #1 offense at RG after not getting any during OTA's. Odd, but I doubt he'll end up starting. Up next was Brent Qvale. I'd expect Aboushi to start out with the #1's today.

- TE situation: With Sudfeld on IR we were already pretty thin at TE, and Cumberland got hurt yesterday as well. I'm not sure if it's serious or not (doubt it). Saxton had some nice catches, maybe he'll step up.

- Defensive Line: There will be lots of rotating going on with Sheldon (probably) continuing his backup duties. Leonard Williams will take his spot instead. Also in the mix: Douzable, Vickerson, Bowen.

- Pass Rush: We haven't heard a thing on Pace or Babin yesterday. Instead, Mauldin and IK made a bigplay each (would be sack). Coples also had a couple good plays.

- Defensive backs: Cro got beat a bunch of times yesterday, even by the likes of Shaq Evans for bigplays and touchdowns. Dex however had a nice interception. Phillips got burned a couple times, he didn't look too good. Would be nice to hear a little more from Gilchrist and Pryor.

xmscott likes this.
  2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

For those interested, the Jets will be broadcasting stretches, warmups and individual drills LIVE starting at 1:50 pm on their website. Shuts down for 7-on-7 and team drills.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

good stuff..

Winters did get first team reps at RG in OTA's though, as did Qvale.
    i expect they'll both get a long look as potential starters, but ultimately Colon wins it if he stays healthy.

agreed on the TE situation. it is by far our worst position.
    i still think a TE not on our current roster will make the 53..

I'm looking for Fitzpatrick to step it up, and make this thing a true competition.
    actually hope he wins it. sitting for a bit might be the best thing for Geno, and a vet back there (for a change) could inspire the team.

4. DaBallhawk

Nice, will be checking in. NFL Network will probably also do some live coverage.

Little off topic: Rex uses Harvin at CB in camp I just saw. I don't know why he does these things. Maybe he's just looking to make some headlines. Who knows.

5. DaBallhawk

Really? I thought Winters only lined up as Nick's backup at Center.

6. DaBallhawk

7. DaBallhawk

8. DaBallhawk

9. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Sheldon dominating the 2nd team. Looks like he's moving at 143 mph

10. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Wow, watching this live practice and all I can say is Eric Allen is a freakin moron. The new guy is more analytical of the team and he's only been with them for a week or 2.

11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He's done some backup C reps too, but he was for sure taking first team G reps throughout all 3 days of minicamp.
    i just double checked your threads from minicamp.

With Colon being a little dinged up, Qvale and Winters have taken just about every snap actually.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  12. DaBallhawk

He just called Kevin Vickerson "Keith". :rolleyes:

13. DaBallhawk

14. Big Cat

The new guy hasn't gotten neutered yet. Eric Allen just spews the company lines no matter what, he's a team hired reporter, not an analyst. They were just asked a question about Bryce Petty getting first team reps, the new guy goes "Personally? I don't want to see that at all. I want to see him in the meeting room, learning how to be a pro, learning NFL offense, before I see him anywhere near the first team or actual game time". Allen goes "Whoa whoa, I wouldn't go that far. All I'll say is that the pecking order is clear. Geno is the starter, it's his job to lose, it's Fitzpatrick's to take and it's Bryce's to take. We'll see where it goes from there."

Sound familiar?

15. DaBallhawk

I wish he'd just shut up. Show us what happens on the field, we don't need any commentary. Who cares about these calls.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  16. DaBallhawk

17. DaBallhawk

"Let's hear your questions!"
    "Woah Woah Woah! Hold on there! We're getting ahead of ourselves! Next question!"
    "Woah woah woah, buddy! We're getting ahead of ourselves! Next question!"
    "Woah woah woah!!!! Easy!!!!!!! We're getting ahead of ourselves here! Next caller!"

What a clown.

RexontheBeach and Big Cat like this.
  18. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Yeah that makes sense, I thought that response was funny too. They need to include a personality from the Jets most passionate following, TGG.

19. Big Cat

That really was pathetic. I would have rather seen 30 minutes of stretching and individual drills with no commentary whatsoever than have the camera pointed at them answering questions the whole time.

DaBallhawk likes this.
  20. DaBallhawk

Geno, Petty & Saxton with a nice one handed grab.