Training Camp | Day 1 | Twitter Updates

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Jul 30, 2015.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Football is finally back. Training Camp, Day 1, starts at 2:20 pm today. I'll try my best again to post all the twitter updates here to keep everybody up to date on what's happening on the field. Please feel free to contribute if you find anything out there Jets/TC related.

What to look for today:

- QB "Battle": This has become an annual thing but as always we'll be watching the QB's closely. Hopefully Geno can establish himself as the starter, not make too many mistakes, complete balls, not take too many sacks and so on. If Fitz steps up and puts a little heat on Geno, even better. Petty will also be interesting to watch.

- RG Battle: Carp is locked in at LG, the heavy favorite for the RG position should be Aboushi but Bowles has been rotating those guys like crazy. Almost every guard (except Winters) has gotten reps with the 1st team offense. Colon is still out, Qvale seems to be the #2 at this point behind Aboushi but it's an open competition so we'll see how this shakes out.

- CB Rotation: With all the corners we have now there will be lots of rotation going on. The top 3 corners are pretty much set but I'd expect the other 3 guys (Williams, Dex, Dee) to get some playing time with the 1st team defense as well. And you still have Darrin Walls. Plenty of depth.

- WR / CB Battle: We've seen glimpses of what this battle might look like during OTA's. Marshall has been talking plenty of trash, the DB's later put a whooping on him when they hit the field. This is going to be a back and forth, it should make all those guys better. Should be fun to watch.

- OLB Battle: With Coples starting on one side we still have to figure out who the other starter will be. He's a terrific run defender so I'd be surprised if Bowles starts Pace opposite him, but they can both set the edge. If that's what Bowles wants then Pace is the man. I'm hoping IK or Mauldin steps up and steals the job. IK lacks size and run defending skills (at least he did last year) so he might probably end up being a situational pass rusher. But Mauldin has all the tools, he just has to get the playbook down and avoid making major mistakes. The rest he's gonna take care of, playing the run and rushing the passer. Babin I feel is more of a situational guy as well. Pace should be cut, too old, ineffective, no special teams value, too expensive to stick around.

- Safety play: Gilchrist is finally healthy and ready to roll. Pryor has a chip on his shoulder, I can't wait to see how these two (well the entire backfield actually) work together. After that you still have two quality guys in Allen and Double J.

NY Jets68 likes this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thanks. Now the season officially started for me.

NY Jets68 and DaBallhawk like this.
  3. DaBallhawk

Well played. Well. Played. :D

NY Jets68, PabloJa and Brook! like this.
  4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I love it.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Disagree with your take at olb.
    i dont think there is much chance that pace and coples are not the starters. Mauldin will really have to come on strong to unseat pace. and if that were to happen we move pace behind coples and cut babin. I think pace is a lock on the roster

6. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

I love these topics, it makes getting updates at work so much easier. I, and I'm sure many others, appreciate it. Keep it up!

7. DaBallhawk

Personally I wouldn't want Coples and Pace at OLB on the field at the same time unless it's 3rd and inches. We only have 3 linemen, we have to rely on at least one linebacker to go after the QB. Pace just doesn't cut it. Maybe Bowles feels Coples is that guy. In that case I guess Pace might end up starting. But I'd really prefer Mauldin on the other side opposite Coples. Pace is a goner. Like I said, he doesn't pass rush well, he doesn't play special teams, he's one dimensional at this point. And he's making close to 3 mil. in salary this year, twice of what Babin makes. He just isn't worth it. At least not based on what he did last year. I doubt he's gonna get much better/explosive all of a sudden.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. DaBallhawk

onefanjet, JetLifeLo and jxc like this.
  9. jxc

jxc Active Member

DaBallhawk likes this.
  10. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

Whose good to follow on twitter for updates

11. DaBallhawk

Here we go! Love the unis.

12. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I've got an entire feed of them but some are: Brian Costello, Brian Bassett, Chris Lopresti, Manish Mehta, Rich Cimini, Connor Hughes, Seth Walder, Kristian Dyer.

13. DaBallhawk

Yeah, all the beat writers pretty much and the official Jets twitter of course. This is just for twitter updates so anybody who's there is good enough. They only report what they see, it's not like reading one of their articles and trying to understand their logic.

14. DaBallhawk

Ivory is driving me nuts.

15. DaBallhawk

16. DaBallhawk

17. DaBallhawk

18. DaBallhawk

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

did Ivory drive his exercise bike straight into the back of Colon's or did he ram it head first into the training staff?

DaBallhawk likes this.
  20. DaBallhawk

Cuts can't come soon enough. Lenny needs to get rid of that ugly number. ASAP!