Training Camp Cuts - Possible Pickups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

in terms of FB, Taliaferro from Baltimore would be an upgrade.
    they need to improve from Howsare..

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Carter's salary will still be guaranteed. The guarantee only goes away if he's not on the roster for the first regular season game (unless that's changed this year too).

Yeah, I'm glad Carter is back too. That's totally bizarre. It really makes Mac look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

3. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

You are correct. Suh's last 3 years are significantly more expensive than his first 3 years. My numbers were wrong.

4. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Are you arguing that these are bad contracts or that they are backloaded?

5. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

It sounds like you don't understand how the structure works in Miami. Tannebaum is very much involved in the draft. You hate him. I get that. There is no point furthering this discussion because I don't think you will change your mind.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I don't hate Tanny, I hate how he handled the Jets, particularly the cap.
    He sold the future for a short win now window. That was not sustainable.
    As far as the structure in Miami. Living here in the South Florida area , there's unfortunately no escaping Dolphin news. A pre draft interview of Ross, Tanny, Grier and Gas from Omar Kelly in the sun sentinel should clarify the structure in Miami for you :
    "
    • Gase has final say on the 53-man roster. But, of course, roster transactions are made after thorough consultation with Grier and Tannenbaum, the Executive Vice President of Football Operations.
    • Grier reports to Tannenbaum, whose most important job is to have a big-picture lens for the organization’s direction. Tannenbaum’s experience negotiating free-agent contracts, executing trades, and his experience as an agent are also beneficial to the organization.
    • Grier, Miami’s long-time director of college scouting, is the man with final say on draft choices. The draft is his baby. It is his show.
    “I’m in charge,” Grier said, when asked to explain how the team operates in regard to the draft. “I work with the scouts at the board, set the value…

• In general, Miami wants to choose the best available player. But they don’t deny that need plays a role when choosing one of say, five clustered players as a selection nears. “You have to set your board and what you believe, but you’ll always work around in terms of needs,” Grier said.
    • The Dolphins have trust in Grier’s extensive scouting expertise. Gase said, “He’s the guy we really lean on.” Miami’s 2016 draft focused not only on talented players, but players who fit the specific schemes Gase wants to utilize on both sides of the ball. That collaboration between front office and coaching staff is critical.
    • Gase said Grier can be a “voice of reason” for he and Tannenbaum. Grier does portray an extraordinarily calm demeanor. Gase can be feisty and emotional. Grier said Gase told him he’ll take a closer look at any draft-eligible players he suggests because: “Whoever you believe in, I trust in you.”
    • Most of the debating about ranking players on the draft board — including off-field or injury red flags — occur prior to the draft, making the draft-day war room less frenetic. “You just kind of listen to the board,” Grier said." That pretty much sums up how the FO is structured in Miami.

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Several players were restructured the past 3 years, while they may have small numbers in salary, large signing bonuses or back loaded contracts have the Dolphins hurting for cap space. There's alot of dead cap space if those players are cut as well.
    But honestly I don't care about the Dolphins and hope that they get run into the ground. Let's hope MAC can use all the damn cap space he has wisely, and draft as well as Grier.