Training Camp Cuts - Possible Pickups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know that a number of you watch other teams, know players on those teams who would be good additions/upgrades over players the Jets present have, and know who may be on the bubble with their present teams.

I'd like for this thread to name players that you'd like to see the Jets add if they are cut by their present team. PLEASE NO RIDICULOUS NAMES SUGGESTED.

For instance, we all know that the Jets OL needs to be upgraded. There's a fairly decent chance that an older vet OL could get cut who still is better than any player we currently have on the roster at his position. I think it would make sense to add any OL that could help upgrade our OL.

I think Forté is about done. We'd lose $1 million on the cap if we cut him now, but if we get the chance to sign a pretty good young RB, I think it is something that the Jets should probably do.

#1 NCJetsfan, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I saw the 2nd half of the Panthers preseason game last night. Cameron Artis-Payne looked very good. The Panthers announcers said that there's a chance he won't make the team. They have Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffrey are locks. Fozzy Whitaker is a player who they have liked a lot and have utilized quite a bit, and he is probably a lock as well. They also have a first-year player named Jalen Simmons who looked pretty good. They also have a couple of FBs on the roster Alex Armah (a rookie) and Darrel Young, a 7-year vet out of Villanova. I think they'll probably keep a FB and either 3 or maybe 4 RBs.

The Panthers don't really need cap space, but if they cut Artis-Payne, they'd save $573,437 on the cap.

I also caught most of the 2nd half of the Seahawks-Chiefs game tonight. Seattle has a slew of RBs on their roster at present: Chris Carson (R) who looked very good, Alex Collins (2nd year), Mike Davis (3rd year), Eddie Lacy (5th year), Tre Madden (2nd year), J.D. McKissick who looked good and they were using him as a RB and WR (2nd year), C.J. Prosise (2nd year?), Thomas Rawls (3rd year), and FB Marcel Reese (10th year). Again, I wouldn't think they'd keep over 3-4 RBs and a FB.

Does anyone know about their RBs (aside from Lacy)?

boozer32 likes this.
  3. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

per Adam Shefter

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Who is??

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Patriots traded a 2nd round pick to acquire him from the Panthers. He had a nice Super Bowl game with CAR. Ealy wasn't a scheme fit with NE and they moved on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Got to give credit when credit is due. Good pick up by Mac.

7. Cman68

Good pick up my ass.. This Oline is historically bad and Macc continues to stockpile defensive depth? Please tell me how this helps??? Is a Jet Qb gonna have his career ended because Macc refused to address the lack of quality on the Oline? WTF is the point of stockpiling safties and DE's when the Oline ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ASS???

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Championship!

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Picked up a good player, I've been killing mac lately but he can't control who is available. Good player came available and he grabbed him. I don't hate it.
    Who did they release?

10. Let's be fair..Ealy is a legit pass rusher & can also set the edge.He could seriously be a legit fixture for this team & may instantly be the team's best pass rusher.

While I share the sentiment regarding the offense's neglection,Ealy was a no brainer move

11. legler82

Why are you relating two things that are completely unrelated? Picking up Ealy, who improves the overall talent on this team, doesn't preclude them from addressing the o-line. Mac can get credit for a good pick-up and at the same time be criticized for not addressing the o-line. They are mutually inclusive.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying but that doesn't make this a bad pickup. He's a solid pass rusher.

It's not only Mac. What the hell is with this team and ignoring the offensive line? The last time we beefed up the offensive line and added Brick and Mangold we instantly made the playoffs and got cornerstone offensive lineman for a decade. Every GM we've had since then has been heavily invested in the strategy to draft offensive lineman late in the draft.

Well it's obviously not fricken working.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. Newyawka

Newyawka Member

Cool,a DE and a safety picked up on the same day.Glad to see they're addressing the needs on defense that this team really needs.Good thing the offense is stocked with talent.

14. Cman68

If this kid can fix the pass rush problem, ok. If not, it was a complete waste of effort.

Jets69 likes this.
  15. legler82

I'm sure when the final cuts happen Jets will be a major shopper on the waiver wire for offensive players.

slimjasi, hwismer and FJF like this.
  16. Newyawka

Newyawka Member

I know right.I hope we snatch whatever oline players teams release because that will be an instant upgrade.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Cman68

Bullshit..This team continues to ignore the oline and the offense on whole. This comes from the defensive mentality of the HC. Ealy improves the depth on defense? Yay.. Said the same thing with the Leo Williams pick too like we needed to upgrade the Dline.

This aquisition does NOTHING to address the major issues of this moribound offense.

Jets69 and slimjasi like this.
  18. Cman68

Ya really think so? Puhleeze.. Mac will go sign additional DB's and LB's and whatever cash is left over, pick what marginal talent is left on the market. Just remember that after the final cuts, we'll be dumpster diving once again.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The Panthers traded him. Now the Patriots released him. Doesn't exactly sound like a winner to me, but hey, neither are the Jets!

Jets69 likes this.
  20. Cman68

He's another d-guy so he must be necessary... Have faith!