Trading up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Nov 6, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not advocating trading up just to take any old QB. I agree that it has to be someone they really like, believe in, and want. The thing is, FA comes before the draft. They have to decide before FA what they're gonna do. If they sign Cousins, there's no point in drafting a QB high, because Cousins will be the starter for the life of the contract unless he gets injured. In that scenario, it would only make sense to draft a QB in the middle rounds to make him their backup, or perhaps a developmental prospect that they could trade later, but with the sorry job they did developing Petty and Hack, the latter shouldn't even be a consideration with this CS. If they like and plan to try to take Mayfield in the 2nd or maybe Stidham in the 2nd or 3rd, then they need to fire Bowles and get a CS in here who can develop a young QB.

Keenum and Bradford are about the same age as Cousins. Keenum I'd sign on a one-year and maybe two-year deal if they plan to draft a young QB, but have zero interest in either Bradford or Cousins. I really liked Bridgewater when he was in the draft, but his career hasn't panned out the way I thought it would, and coming off a major injury, I wouldn't make a big, long-term commitment to him, either, especially if they are unable to upgrade the OL in this draft. I'd try to sign him to a shorter deal heavy with incentives, but doubt he'd agree to that.

I wouldn't be opposed to McCown coming back strictly as the backup QB if they like Baker Mayfield and plan to start him day one.

No one's advocating spending big on other teams' garbage. Stop with the straw man arguments. I disagree with your assessment of their chances of upgrading the OL in FA. Solder is good, but again is older, and would be too expensive. I have no interest in him, either, aside from it hurting the Pats. There are several younger (25-27) centers who could be FAs, including the Giants' Weston Richburg. With a new HC and GM, and the mess that are the Giants, Richburg might not want to stay with the Giants, or the new GM/HC may think he wants too much money or not have the cap space to sign him. I think that's one key position on the OL that definitely could be upgraded in FA. At OG, Winters is going nowhere due to his recent contract, and Carpenter has been one of their better OL. There are some prospective FA OGs who are in that same (25-27) age range who could possibly be upgrades at LG, and at a minimum would upgrade the depth at OG. There are also some prospective FA RTs in that same age range, and even younger who would be an upgrade over Shell and/or Qvale.

I think with Enunwa back (and I don't see him as a #3 WR), a good starting caliber RB who is a good receiver, and if Legget can stay healthy and contribute, their receiving corps is better than serviceable. There is no game changer, but with all the Jets' needs, they can't fix everything at once.

Again, I'm not saying that the Jets have to trade up to #3 to get a QB. One that they really like could be sitting there at their pick., or they might even be able to trade down and take one they like.

Mac may need to be fired. If he opts to sign Cousins, Bradford, or Keenum and eschews drafting a QB in the first or top of the 2nd round, then I will think he does.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Great post! Plus 100 K

In life you have two choices imo: worry worry worry or dream dream dream...of success and things getting better...Of learning from your mistakes and correcting them...of finding something better if your job doesn't work out etc

I think Tony makes a good point that statistically speaking and historically there is about a 30 % chance grabbing a first round QB will NOT work out

Then what if things DO work out is that a miracle ? Lol

We are on the same page he re Colorado excellent plan...I mean at least YOU suggest a plan over the back and forth wrong vs right SMH...Mac is ...I dunno ...but Bowles has to go and yes take Mac too

A Football Operations guy must be an old timer with tons of experience who can outsmart a GM and outcoach a Coach..let HIM do a proper search for your HC/GM and let them answer to him

Most importantly DRAFT the best darn kid out there and then coach him up