Trading up

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Big Cat, Nov 6, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You have to consider the lack of talent around Allen. Did you see what Wyoming looked like in the 2 games he was out.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

So true, and look at the past consensus , can't miss # 1s. Geno , Hackenberg , Kaaya !!!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

We would likely have to trade up for Chubb. Unless Mac has some magic left and he falls like Leo and Adams. The Bucs are reportedly in love with him.

4. TonyFtLaud

Plus 100
    Allen needs to go to a team like the Packers, Chargers or if he falls, good forbid the Patriots. He will most likely turn out to be the best QB in this draft. He has no team around him, his receivers had tons of drops and rarely got any separation. His draft position is going to rise considerably after the combine and possibly the senior bowl if he graduates this fall.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

It's time for Mac to grow some balls and make a QB move. He's about to go into his 4th season and his 3 primary starters have been Ryan Fitzpatrick (x2) and Josh McCown. How many regimes get this far into their tenure without even making an attempt at a franchise QB? I won't argue it all if he decides to trade up for Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield or takes Jackson at our pick (for the love of God, just don't take Allen). Just show some conviction and do SOMETHING to try to fix this position. Unfortunately, Allen may be Mac's dream... Tall, strong arm, white and terrible at football.

Although, with the amount of cap space we have I wouldn't be shocked at all if he tries to outbid everybody for Kirk Cousins. There were reports that he tried to trade for him in year 1 after Geno got his face punched in. Probably wouldn't be the worst move in the world since he's only 30 and a well above average starter in the league, and signing a FA would allow us to target other positions in the draft.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

What specific "tool" as a prospect did he lack since it sounds like you did an in depth evaluation of him coming out of USC?

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The bold is a bit strong don't you think?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

So much criticism and harsh judgement at imo one of the finest QB draft classes

Hey guys there is no perfection out there!! Never has been never will be ...just tons of opportunity knocking

I've also read 6 different opinions about Allen the big 3 etc till my head spins

Allen has a monster game yesterday and that's still not good enough to show he is very talented

People are all over the place evaluating these kids like experts but probably can't distinguish a bagel from a bialy or get the grocery list right....ahahahah

9. NYJetsO12

None of us here on in the QB evaluation business ...but of course everyone thinks they have some great insight

From what I read at least 60 per cent or more members of TGGwant us to draft a FQB which imo is the smartest thing to do

For you guys that are unsure I really don't think it's THAT hard...what's hard is second guessing yourself and miss on an opportunity

Like with Mahomes last year tons of energy was spent weighing getting him or grabbing 3 other positions at CB Safety etc...Meanwhile Andy Reid does his homework checks his gut and makes a bold move to get him even with A Smith doing a great job...will he pan out or not ??? WELL KC HAS HIM AND NOW THEY CAN FIND OUT...but the point is THEY GOT HIM

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Big Cat

It’s an exaggeration but it’s meant to say that Mac seemingly prefers to scout traits over production

11. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

If you look at the history of GMs drafting QBs, it becomes clear GMs have no clue what they're doing. Top picks are as likely to be busts and they don't do any better than QBs taken later in the draft. Unless you think the Texans, Eagles, and Rams have information the rest of the NFL doesn't, they got lucky.

History has shown quite the opposite. History has shown first round QBs have a 67% success rate and it drops to roughly a third of that in the second round and and gradually worse after that.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Big Cat

Which is why it’s so frustrating that they haven’t taken a first round QB since 2009. Can’t keep sifting through the bargain bin and complain that you aren’t finding gold. Enough of the day 2 “fliers”.

13. TonyFtLaud

People are looking at the stats but not the player or supporting cast right now. That will change as the "experts " actually begin to break down film.
    Allen in your post above is the perfect example. His completion percentage is lacking, but so we're his Receivers , and O line. The receivers rarely get separation, lots of passes thrown away, and drops we're too common.Also look how poor the Offense was when he was out.
    Those are the thinks you don't see when looking at stats but the scouts notice when watching games.
    I have said it before, the big boards will change drastically between now and April. They all ready have since Nov.
    As the boards change, so will the opinions on the board. Our resident experts who not long ago we're proclaiming Darnold the best QB they have ever seen are now posting, if we can't get Rosen, or Darnold. Last year it was Watson , then the narrative changed to Watson sucks, 17 turnovers was too many in college. Let's ignore the 41 TDs.
    But Darnold with 26 TDs to 20 turnovers is worth giving up 3 first round picks plus?
    I still say, you don't trade up for a QB unless you have a team to pair him with , or if he is close to a surefire FQB.
    On this current team, Rosen, Darnold, Allen , will all bust.
    There are several underclassmen who will likely not declare and next year's class will have as much talent as this year's if not more.
    I'm not advocating waiting, I think passing on Watson last year was foolish, but trading up to 3, especially with the Bills having so much to offer and having to beat that would be a mistake.
    If one drops , we move up a couple spots trading 1s and giving up a second or later ,fine but taking a QB and not being able to put playmakers and an OLine in front of him accomplishes nothing.
    Signing a FA QB and building up the offense would position the team much better both for the next few years and future. I'm not talking a broke down, never been like Fitz or McCown, but a younger QB with years of play left. There is no quick fix that would be sustainable with the current roster.
    Our best player this year has been Demario Davis........ That tells us all we need to know as far as where this roster is at right now. Not a mediocre rookie QB away from anything but maybe 500.
    Now if it's true the Packers may have to release Rodgers.........

14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My concern with Allen is that his team didn’t elevate because of his “talent”.

The Jets offensive line is abhorrent and probably won’t get drastically better at least for the next 2 seasons. Also, aside from Powell, the Jets have a bunch of middle of the pack players at the other skill positions.

How can we expect him to elevate his team on the pro level if he couldn’t do it at Wyoming?

I’m not sure Allen is right for the Jets at this point in time.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

"if one drops , we move up a couple spots trading 1s and giving up a second or later ,fine but taking a QB and not being able to put playmakers and an OLine in front of him accomplishes nothing.

"Signing a FA QB and building up the offense would position the team much better both for the next few years and future.

Some good points here Tony..we nee d to certainly build up the offense..agreed..but to say we have no playmakers is not true: R anderson Sefarian Jenkins Powell Hansen etc young receivers..all can make plays ..Powell scored a TD all by himself today!...the OL is not great but last year could have improved it ..this year its a second priority in late first second rnd drafting... definitely can easily be improved

What difference does it make for the Team to improve whether with a FA or a FQB drafted?? Still needs to get done...smarter to draft a kid and build team around him....Also, no need for a new hire We already have McGown coming back dont we ? ? and he will hold the fort fine

"On this current team, Rosen, Darnold, Allen , will all bust."

Why? They are all much better than Hack/Petty by light years ...give them a years tutoring by Joshy and within a year ...just like Wentz/Goff they are winners

16. TonyFtLaud

Anderson, ASJ, Powell can all make plays, true. Powell is the best of the 3 but none are consistent. None are game changers or top 10 at their position. No team comes into the Jets game thinking about how can we stop any of them.

Thanks difference between improving via FA vs this draft is there are proven QBs who will be available, and we will have the draft picks to hopefully improve the roster. Giving up multiple picks this year and next cripples the ability to do that. McCown is a FA so would may or may not have him returning next year. I'd think it would depend on what direction Mac goes in Free Agency.
    I'd don't know how much better they are than Petty / hack at this point. They have higher ceilings but the floor is the same. Darnold is one prospect I don't like. I don't see an NFL QB. He needs alot of work to get close to ready to play in this league.
    Petty and Hack have a better chance at developing on this team than any of them simply because the team will have the ability to add talent around them now. If a trade up to 3 happens for one of the draft prospects, we have to turn strictly to Free Agency to add to the roster. There's no depth as it is.
    I have wanted a full rebuild for several years and I hope we get to see it play out. We have gone the other route too often with no success.

17. TonyFtLaud

No QB will elevator this current roster to playoff level. But Allen did elevate his teams play. Watch the 2 games he was out and you will see the vast difference.
    Football is still a team sport. The QB is by far the most important player but without a complete team, the wins won't come.
    There's a reason the Best teams can plug in their backup and keep rolling. The Pats, this year's Vikings and eagles.
    That said I don't see any of the big 3 elevating this roster as it is.

18. NYJetsO12

POST OF THE YEAR

PLUS 1 BILLION

Prediction: Even with a stat like that staring at a dozen posters in the face this Board will want to Draft BPA Defense or get Teddy Bridgewater..how much you want to bet lol

#78 NYJetsO12, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  19. NYJetsO12

"Ya gets what ya pay for" ....Couldn't agree more

The Jets will go out of the way to get first round talent on Defense but think that the 11 guys and the QB who actually score points are a big afterthought ...so why pay up

Keep up with this philosophy and we never see a SB again..mark my words

20. TonyFtLaud

These are the first round QBs taken the past decade.
    1: JaMarcus Russell, Raiders
    22: Brady Quinn, Browns

3:Matt Ryan, Falcons
    18: Joe Flacco, Ravens

1: Matthew Stafford, Lions
    5:Mark Sanchez, Jets
    17: Josh Freeman, Buccaneers

1:Sam Bradford, Rams
    25: Tim Tebow, Broncos

1: Cam Newton, Panthers
    8: Jake Locker, Titans
    10: Blaine Gabbert, Jaguars
    12: Christian Ponder, Vikings

1: Andrew Luck, Colts
    2:Robert Griffin III, Redskins
    8: Ryan Tannehill, Dolphins
    22: Brandon Weeden, Browns

16: EJ Manuel, Bills

3: Blake Bortles, Jaguars
    22: Johnny Manziel, Browns
    32: Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings

1: Jameis Winston, Buccaneers
    2: Marcus Mariota, Titans

1: Jared Goff, Rams
    2: Carson Wentz, Eagles
    26: Paxton Lynch, Broncos

For every successful first-round quarterback pick in recent years, there are almost twice as many failures. A conclusion can be drawn with 19 of the first-round picks. Only seven, or 36.8 percent, arguably could be considered a success.
    Flacco is the only one to win a Superbowl.
    Even with the benefit of hindsight , how many would have been worth trading multiple early picks for. How many could succeed without a great roster full of playmakers and great Defense?