Trading Up/Reaching for QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Apr 28, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Would be a great 7th round pick.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

2. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Rosen(started a majority of his games in spread), Lamar Jackson, and Allen all come from "spread offenses." Anyone saying they haven't is incorrect. The only top guy right now who isn't in a spread O is Darnold... He also has only started 8 games so consider me skeptical of the hype. What's interesting as well is that Trubisky came from an air raid offense, but no one ever mentioned that during the process. We really just select and randomly disparage QBS without even taking a peak at what their system entails.

#42 BigSnacks54, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    ColoradoContrails and westiedog1 like this.
  3. BigSnacks54

NC has no clue what he's talking about. You'd think a guy who pontificates as much as he does would have a clue about basic football terms and fundamentals. It turns out that he doesn't... I would take anything he says with a grain of salt.

legler82 and 74 like this.
  4. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Before I answer does this question makes sense to you when you read it to yourself? So Mahomes wasn't the top pick because he could not "start day one"? Why did Goff go #1 because he could and then when the bullets were live, he couldn't. Could Dak Prescott start from day one? What happens if Alex Smith gets hurt before the season starts, do they wait till day 2 or year 2 to start Mahomes LOL? You guys crack me up.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. legler82

My favorite lazy evaluation buzz word has to be "raw" closely followed by "footwork" and "mechanics" respectively...LOL

6. BigSnacks54

I remember posters here saying Mariota couldn't start on day 1. I also remember them saying that his playing in a "spread offense" would prevent from achieving success early. Yet in year 2, it was universally agreed upon that he is among the league's promising young Quarterbacks. It turns out that spread Quarterbacks can play in the NFL- which happens to be another league that has slowly but surely been adopting more and more spread concepts over the past 12 years! It also sure seems like NFL teams don't place that much of an emphasis on it anymore in the evaluation process - Trubisky was an air raid QB taking 2. Mahomes? Air raid QB? Goff, he was an air raid QB too ! Paxton Lynch? Yes, he was an air raid QB! Not counting Mariota, there have been 4 Quarterbacks that come from offenses that we deem to not be "pro style," which have been taken in round 1 over the last three years. It's looking more and more, that you know a system , whether that be an air raid branch or "prostyle" is not the ultimate factor or most important in determining who will succeed in the NFL!

7. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

If Josh Allen is a spread QB so is Carson Wentz. Josh Rosen has played in offenses that utilize both spread and pro-style concepts. Lamar Jackson won't succeed as a QB in the NFL, he's not good enough of a passer (right now and perhaps ever). Sam Darnold needs to improve his ball placement, but is almost ethereal in the pocket, he can have someone all in his house, go grab a soda and complete a strike.

As for North Carolina and Trubisky, Air Raid and spread aren't the same thing. Air Raid offenses are extremely pass heavy (see WKU, ECU, Texas Tech) while Larry Fedora's scheme is a fairly balanced spread scheme that intelligently uses read-option (at least with Trubisky and Marquise Williams as running threats) to open up receivers down the field as well as a quick tempo screens, short and intermediate throws.

#47 TouchyFeely, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  8. BigSnacks54

Wentz DID play in system that was a hybrid spread offense, and I said that multiple times in 2016. The problem is that people think a Quarterback taking snaps under center equates to a "pro style offense. (which is not even the correct term to use here). As for Air raid offenses being extremely pass heavy, that's not always true. There are countless variations of the Air Raid, including one called the "bear raid" which Jared Goff ran at Cal under Sonny Dykes that places an emphasis on the run. As I said before, the discussion around systems is much more complex than it's made out to be. QBS at every level, including air reads or spread offenses, are required to make make reads. They are required to progression reads based on the coverage keys designed by their coaching staff, (which is another reason why the term "one read" QB is a misnomer). Many of them are responsible also for setting protections. Spread offenses incorporate concepts that are constantly run in the NFL, like stick, arrow, and hi low reads. In the NFL we're now seeing such as RPO's , inverted veer(read option type), and other concepts that we have long considered to be apart of the come. I have no clue why we act as if these guys are just playing backyard football.. does college scheme play a role in the future success(or lack thereof a prospect)? Sure, but it's not close to the manner that it's been made to be over the last few years.

To be clear, I'm not writing off any QB in the 2018 draft. Chances are, I'll end becoming a fan of one the top tier prospects or an under the radar prospect that emerges in the season. But to say most of the QBS in next year class are coming from a "pro style" offense is incorrect. I also did mention in my post that Rosen did play in a "pro style" offense for a few games before injuring his shoulder. However prior to his injury, he looked awful. I have no clue why he's being hyped as a poster boy for running that offense when he performed far better in the spread.

#48 BigSnacks54, Apr 30, 2017
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mahomes has a lot you can't teach, but his mechanics in comparison to Prescott, Alex Smith and Goff; easily the worst. I think Reid made a good selection, they get 2 years out of Alex Smith. Before we talk Alex Smith getting hurt, let's see where Mahomes is in the depth chart.

10. 101GangGreen101

Mariota barely was able to make any plays under center his first year, the offense was severely limited and with that in mind he was also one of the worst deep ball throwers in the league.

Year 2, there was major progress he was able to add the deep ball to his repertoire, but I think he's still got a ways to go. He also needs to stay healthy and he hasn't done this the first 2 seasons. To be honest, I am not disappointed that we missed out on him, I am more-so disappointed in Carr being passed on. Titans have done a good job of developing Mariota, I doubt the Jets would be able to accomplish this.

BTW your information in terms of college spread / air-raid is incorrect. QBs like Josh Allen, Carr, and Goff all ran systems that were hybrid. Meaning there are pro style concepts. I like Josh Allen, and a lot of these QBs that could come out next year, they have good skill-sets.

11. BigSnacks54

Goff came from a straight air raid offense. It's called the bear raid, ran by Sonny Dykes. The bear raid O only includes 8 offensive concepts. If you've ever listened to or read any of his coaching clinics, he says this himself. I'm well aware of the x's and o's of air raid offenses, coverage keys(and the progressions that are then made out them), how QBS are supposed to eliminate options pre snaps in their keys based on the leverage and alignment of defenders inside and out of the numbers.

Allen is in a system that is heavy on spread concepts as well. Lastly, Mariota's struggle as a deep ball thrower had NOTHING to do with not being under center Whether in the gun or center, Mariota is robotic with his mechanics and can often short step his base or lock his hips, which leads to the deep ball problems he's displayed in the NFL. It has nothing to do with his foot work under center or his supposed struggles(which is wrong as well). It's fine to acknowledge you were wrong on him. I've been wrong countless on times on prospects... continuing to act as if Mariota's footwork undercenter, is obstinate behavior on your part. You're holding onto a false narrative that you believed to be true before he was drafted. He played 15 games last season and was injured on a freak play, just like your guy Carr. Whether his durability is an issue in the long run, remains to be seen.

#51 BigSnacks54, Apr 30, 2017
    legler82 and lockgang like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

The Bear Raid is not the same as a normal spread offense. The Bear Raid includes pre-snap and post-snap reads, very uncommon for spread offenses. So it's absolutely not the same. There are no snaps under center in this offense, regardless Goff had one of the best mechanics coming out of college. Very refined and in no way can be compared to Mahomes and his God awful mechanics.

Josh Allen from Wyoming, that offense is also a Spread / Pro Style hybrid. Again, not a TRUE SPREAD OFFENSE, it includes pro style concepts:

Source - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...e-quarterback-nfl-teams-have-been-waiting-for

Allen has the size, the arm and the experience in the pro style. I am looking forward to seeing him hopefully improve on last year.

Mariota, there is a correlation between the snaps under center, his rather poor decision making when taking those snaps and making throws down the field, but he is a questionable deep ball thrower wherever he is under center or in the shotgun. It has everything to do with the footwork, the drop-back, timing and reading the defense all things he struggles with still. There are countless articles on his struggles under center and his deep ball accuracy. He's just not the type of QB, I would want. Jets need a QB that can push the ball down the field.

Carr also had a freak injury in 1 year, but Mariota hasn't stayed healthy in any of the first 2 years. I do look forward to seeing these 2 throughout their careers.

13. lockgang

lockgang Member

If you're gonna talk about these articles, then link them. Show me the articles that continue to talk about his struggles under center AND his deep ball accuracy during in his second season. From everything I've seen and read, he was highly effective with the deep ball in his second season and certain pundits who were low on the kid ended up saying they misread Him during the draft.

Everyone knows you whiffed on Mariota.

legler82 likes this.
  14. lockgang

lockgang Member

2018 is going to be an exciting year for QB's. Y'all convinced yourselves that the 2017 QB's were good... but they weren't. It's good to be a Jets fan again. #suckfor2018QBs

15. legler82

All I know is that this feels awful like 2014 when we couldn't or wouldn't draft a QB early (i.e., Bridgewater or Carr) because we had drafted a QB in the 2nd round year Geno the previous year. Didn't we draft a safety that year also? Wash rinse repeat...SOJ.

ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.
  16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

All of this would make more sense if there had been a QB in this draft that was as good as any of the prospects in 2014. There wasn't. It was a crappy year for QB's with a bunch of guys coming out early because they were afraid of who might be there in 2018 or they had a crappy year and came out anyway or they just didn't believe the NFL was going to be that hard given their self-inflated opinion of their own abilities.

Seriously, Carr and Bridgewater were three year starters. Bortles had 30 starts. Only Manziel was a sophomore coming out and even he had twice the starts Trubisky did.

It's just not the same thing as 2014. The safety we got in 2014 was the 18 pick for a reason. The guy we got this year was arguably one of the two best players in the draft.

17. 101GangGreen101

I find it funny how, you guys talk Mariota but don't bother actually watching him play. How about you google some shit?

Sophomore Year:

- First 4 games:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-...center-vs-the-blitz-and-with-mid-range-throws

Season:

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-...or-more-defensive-tds-than-anyone-else-in-nfl
    http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2016/09/is_marcus_mariota_regressing_i_1.html

+ Limited play-action passes under center which makes passing game less effective
    + Decision making under center and when he is required to scan the field with numerous reads.
    + Can't stay healthy

Again, I don't think I am wrong, I think he still has a good while to go to become an elite QB. Now do I think he would be a good JETS QB? I would say average at best. Winston will be the true elite QB from that class despite having a lesser offensive line and running game to take the pressure off. So what will happen when they complicate the offense? Will Mariota thrive or will he go to shit?

Now I really like Corey Davis, so hopefully he can help assist Marcus. Now, I look forward to seeing some actual proof to refute my statements.

#57 101GangGreen101, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  18. legler82

So IYO Andy Reid the supposed QB whisperer traded away 2 first and a third round pick for a crappy QB. Need to put that one in the time capsule.

19. Br4d

If Mariota can stay healthy he's likely to be a pretty good QB at this point. I give him about the same chance RGIII had at this point in his career. The Titans at least are smart enough not to let him play on a torn meniscus because they're in a playoff game for the first time in years and winning it is more important than keeping their franchise QB healthy.

20. Br4d

Reid has the luxury of being able to develop Mahomes at his leisure since he has Alex Smith already in house. Anybody playing Mahomes this year likely would have both stunted his growth and regretted the results on the field. However we'll see on that point.

3 of the guys in 2014 were on the field opening day.