Trading Up/Reaching for QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Next year's class will be exactly like every other class in this decade/ A class with maybe 2-3 talented passer, that also possess potential fatal flaws that may prevent them from reaching their ceiling. Some of the guys fans are salivating over- Rosen, Josh Allen- didn't even play well last season and were quite frankly worse than the QBS that they deem to be bad this year The idea that the next Andrew Luck will be on the board in next year's class is just laughable.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

All I said is that it will probably be better than this year...most people agree with that and time will tell

My main point was if you have hesitations about taking a QB in the first round it's better to pass when you're rebuilding like us

I don't mind taking a flyer on day 3 tomorrow

3. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

My post was more so referring to what the majority of posters on the board were saying, not just you necessarily. Many of the same Quarterbacks that fans praise now, will be the same quarterbacks they despise and want nothing to do with in 12 months.

FJF, ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  4. King Koopa

I agree that it's probably overhyped but regardless I don't think any of these QBs were anything special and I'm fine rolling the dice on Petty/Hack and then seeing what's in the draft next season.

Mahomes is the classic Boom or bust and he went to a great situation...Watson also went to an ideal situation but they both have some flaws for sure. I liked both guys but if they were amazing prospects they would have went top 5-top 10

Trubisky was way overdrafted in my eyes...Glad we didn't end up with him

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Being truly convinced on Hackenberg but not being truly convinced on Mahomes is the problem.

6. King Koopa

It's not at all....Its Hack with next years draft class as the fall back insurance vs all in on Mahomes if you take him early

I liked him as a prospect but I understand not picking him. He would have went much higher if he was can't miss. He's risky but could pan out big, no doubt about it. The Jets aren't the only team that could have drafted a QB that didn't. Sure fire franchise QBs don't fall to the teens, doesn't mean he won't be

It is what it is at this point...Either Hack or Petty surprise us all or we're basically all in on next years QB draft class

It's not like with Mahomes or any rookie QB we would have been a good or even decent team this year. It's atleast a 2 year process so this is only part 1

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I really like Mahomes, but with the Jets' situation, wouldn't have taken him. The odds are he never would have succeed here. Jets fans are too impatient and the pressure would have been too great to force him onto the field early. His chances of succeeding would be much greater in KC, AZ, GB, NE, and maybe Seattle due to the fact that they have HCs who know what they're doing, have a track record of developing QBs, and have veteran QBs that Mahomes could watch and learn from. If neither Hack nor Petty pan out and the Jets take a QB in next year's draft, he will probably start day one. Mahomes couldn't have done that imo.

8. legler82

So confused by this post, that I have questions rather than any rebuttal. Why will next year's QB be able to start day one while Mahomes can't? And why the hell does starting on day one matter? Isn't he team going to suck regardless of who starts on day one?

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

IMO Mahomes couldn't start day one because of his footwork/fundamentals and adjusting to an NFL-style offense. Most of the top prospects next year are playing in pro-style offenses, are use to huddles, taking snaps from under center, and don't have the fundamentals issues that Mahomes does.

Starting day one matters because we don't want to keep McCown past this season, and don't need to waste cap space bringing in yet another JAG hold-the-fort-type bridge QB. Starting day one matters because that QB needs to play, learn, and get experience while the team sucks, so that by the time the team is ready to compete for the playoffs (hopefully in 2019), the QB will be ready and won't hold them back or waste another year.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  10. legler82

OK as long as it makes sense to you.

11. NCJetsfan

It's common sense. It isn't rocket science.

12. legler82

Aside from the fact I think it's a completely irrelevant requirement for a rebuilding team deprived of talent, I think Mahomes could start day one if need be. So I apparently lack common sense. Whether or not the QB would be any good is a whole other matter but, I would think any competent CS should be able to get a first round caliber QB ready to start day one. Just incorporate some of what they are comfortable with in the gameplan. What makes Mahomes any different from guys like Mariota or RGIII in terms of day one readiness, draft position? Is he the rarest of the quintessential "raw" prospect. Maybe he's plain "raw" while those other guys were rare. I'm no Josh Dobbs; this rocket science stuff doesn't come easy for me.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. legler82

Fans, coaches and front office personnel alike need to get over this pro-style offense hang up as there will only be more of these prospects coming to the NFL not less. If they can't evaluate and develop the talent despite this, they may need to find some other sport to cheer or line of work respectively.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I didn't say it was a "requirement" just that that is probably what will happen or need to happen considering the Jets' situation.

Your bolded sentence is at the crux of the matter. IMO we don't have a competent CS, offensive or otherwise. That's why I think it probably would have been a waste to take Mahomes. I like him and think he has a chance to be a great NFL QB. I'd like to see him succeed and not be yet another failed QB on the Jets.

You're just being obtuse. Neither Mariota nor RGIII had the major fundamental flaws in their footwork that Mahomes has, and both went to better situations with better offensive CSs, and more patient fan bases.

15. King Koopa

Honestly I don't see a huge hang up anymore overall...Mahomes and Watson both come from non-NFL offenses and were both picked high in the first round

The whole pro style offense thing is just an overrated buzz word(s) that lazy fans and analysts use and lean on but I'm seeing less and less of it thankfully. I'm pretty sure the real NFL guys that get paid to make big time decisions are capable of projecting each player regardless of what system they come from

Honestly the NFL is moving more and more away from the traditional pro style offense anyway

Just like any other player at any other position, certain QBs may or may not be a good fit with certain teams/ systems and their college experience in certain offenses can be a part of that evaluation...but it's only a part

legler82 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Mahomes could start day one, how come he wasn't the top pick in the draft and ultimately went to a team that will sit him down for 2 years?

Dude has the worst mechanics. Great kid, great arm, but can't win in the pocket right now.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Pro style will always be the end all in the NFL. Pro style includes post snap reads and progressions. Watson and Mahomes didn't do this in college so it's a longer learning curve.

The spread does not include those elements. Rosen, Darnold and Allen next year have that experience.

If Watson were to start, they would have to really dumb down that offense cause the Texans offense is very complicated with the qb having all control at the LOS. An unfamiliar territory for Watson.

18. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

So unless they grab Peterman, the Jets will very likely not draft a QB. They had many opportunities to grab one but passed or traded down instead.

Good news in my book. All the talk of these QB's and how much the Jets were examining them made me concerned over Macs decision making and dedication to the long-term plan.

When drafting both Petty and Hack it was consensus that they could be good starters but needed a red-shirt season or two to develop. Now they had that time and should be ready. let's see what they have learned and what the Jets have in these two draft picks.

For months the Jet media has said the Jets were enamored with Trubisky, Watson... Petty is nothing more than a backup, Hack can't hit the ocean.

This was all bullshit to create drama and sell newspapers. If it wasn't the Jets would have taken a QB.

#38 PulseJet, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

We don't even know if Darnold will declare in 2018-I hope he does. Rosen and the Colorodo QB will be there Also someone could get injured..Who knows ? But worth tanking for

Look at their tape The reason why they have higher grades than 2017 is because they can be immediate starters

I hope we go 0-16...Only way out of the endless cycle

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Speaking of rocket science, Josh Dobbs anyone?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk