Trading Up/Reaching for QBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by legler82, Apr 28, 2017.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why anyone would fault a team for trading up or "reaching" for who they believe could be their FQB. Didn't really have an issue with it back when it could hamstring your team for 3-5 years and certainly not now under the more cap friendly CBA.

I get the sense the Browns were peer pressured by fans, pundits and the rest of the NFL into taking Garrett when they really wanted to make sure they secure who they thought could be their FQB. All the "experts" swore Trusbisky could be had later no need to reach. Guess what they were wrong; what the Browns may have feared and wanted to protect from by considering Trubisky #1 is EXACTLY what happened. And I'm sure it happened WAY faster than they could have even imagined. The best part of the Bears trade with San Francisco is watching all those experts and "insiders" get it so aggressively wrong. The whole draft process is starting to feel like a weird clique high school function where it's really not about what is done but who is doing it.

Had the Browns drafted Trubisky #1 overall, they would have been mocked. At the same time now I see some are criticizing them for leaving the 1st round w/o a QB. I think it was Matt Millen who said that if he had to do it all over again he would rather fail making his own mistakes not someone else's. It's so political; the Chiefs "mortgage the future" as some would say for Mahomes but from what I can see no one is really making a big deal of it. Why? Because it's Andy Reid. Had the Jets or the Browns done the same, they would be the joke of the 1st round. A lot of people mocked the Eagles for trading up to get Wentz last year; who's laughing now? The current joke of the draft is now the Bears. I for one hope hope Trubisky becomes the next Tom Brady and Garrett the next Quinton Coples to help get rid of the stigma and shaming of attempting to solidify the most important position in all of sports. Maybe then certain teams [cough e.g., Jets] won't so scared to take their shot.

In the end, it's not about getting a good 1st round draft grade from Kiper, McShay, Mayock and the like but winning championships. More times than not that means getting that FQB.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Browns got good value on their picks and are now in position to dominate the early part of the draft next season. Hard to see where that hurt them. They had the same situation the Texans did in 2014 and instead of taking Bortles they chose to take Clowney, just like the Texans did. It was sound football for them to do exactly what they did.

What was the last team that traded up for a QB in the 1st round and got a clear win out of it? Wentz is a decent prospect but he's not a clear win yet. I can't think of too many other trade ups that have been a clear win. The #1 pick at QB since Peyton Manning:

1998 - Peyton Manning
    1999 - Tim Couch
    2001 - Michael Vick
    2002 - David Carr
    2003 - Carson Palmer
    2004 - Eli Manning
    2005 - Alex Smith
    2007 - JaMarcus Russell
    2009 - Matthew Stafford
    2010 - Sam Bradford
    2011 - Cam Newton
    2012 - Andrew Luck
    2015 - Jameis Winston
    2016 - Jared Goff

That's arguably 6 or 7 wins in 14 drafts but only the guys named Manning have won Super Bowls.

The Browns played the numbers game and took the BPA on #1 and traded down the 12 for better access to the 2018 draft. If I was one of their fans I'd have a sense of hope mixed in with all the generational dread that being a Browns fan must bring.

NoodleArm, Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Browns were smart not drafting a QB in the first round. I'll give them credit for not reaching on a player that will be sitting on the bench for 2 years. 2017 class of QB's all have serious questions compared to other drafts. Trubisky is a very raw player - may take some time for him to get on the field and play well enough to start.

Imo, DA Bears made a huge boner trading up with the 49'ers to get Trubisky - he could have been there at 3. The film/performances on Trubisky is very erratic,so hope it doesn't bite them in the paw but that was a huge reach.

Leicester Jet, Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

You'll never win anything if you wait for the next Andrew Luck to come around By all accounts, the Browns were very very high on Trubisky to the point that they'd attempt to trade up for him into the top 5. If that's the case, they should have taken him at #1 without hesitation. They would have been mocked, sure, but if Trubisky in a few years turns to become a quality starter not even great, chances are CLE may look at the 2017 draft as a missed opportunity. I love their process and how efficient it is, but eventually you need to be willing to take a risk.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Chiefs made the smartest decision, but good for those teams reaching for their QBs of the future. I don't think any of these guys MAYBE outside of Kizer is that guy.

I see 3 or 4 guys, that the Jets could really use next year and I see 3 of them absolutely coming out if they have a good season [Rosen, Josh Allen, and Mason Rudolph]. Jets will have a shot at one, and usually one falls for some dumbass reason like Carr, Bridgewater and Wilson. Jets NEED to take a shot at that opportunity and not look back, they gave Carr the blind eye, next year the Jets will be in the situation again. Don't make the wrong decision.

Darnold could go back to school. The first 3, their stock won't get any higher if they stay healthy and produce. College QBs learned from Matt Barkley.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Andy Reid loved Mahomes and now reports have come out that the Saints were gonna take him and the Seahawks might have. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Reid, Payton and Carrol know more about QBs than anyone on this board.

I love getting Adams but it sure hurts seeing Mahomes go at 10.

7. BigSnacks54

I believe that guy is falling right now(Kizer), but it looks like we're going to pass on him for Davis Webb unfortunately.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If they take another mid round qb after passing on three 1st rounders they should be fired on the spot..these clowns just never learn..idzik looks like a genius now compared to this garbage and we all know how bad he was.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Wait huh? What about Davis Webb?

10. Br4d

Please don't take a QB on 39 Macc. If one you love drops to 70 make that pick but 39 is for a player who you can accurately predict having an effect on the field this year and for the next 5 at least and none of the QB's remaining are in that category. None of the QB's in this draft were in that category.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. BigSnacks54

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-notes-day-2
    Shecfter then confirmed Pauline's reports that the Chargers/Jets are trying to move up. Pauline has actually reported the Jets interested in Webb for a few weeks. I hope this is just a smoke screen, but yea if this is true, I don't know what to say about Mac at this point.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  12. Br4d

Webb is a tall, skinny, strong-armed guy playing in a spread with not enough meat on his bones. God I hope the Pats don't get their hands on him. Not that you can write Brady all over anybody but every time I look at him I get those same shivers.

13. 101GangGreen101

That's not good, hopefully it is a smoke screen

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

plus 100

Andy Reid created Donovan Mcnabb and is one of the best coaches out there in developing QBs

To bad the Jets never got him

15. legler82

Add the Giants, Cardinals and Steelers to the list of teams that was trying to trade for Mahomes. See all the joke franchises wanted him; not a well respected and successful franchise like the Jets.

ColoradoContrails and Attackett like this.
  16. legler82

Yes, let's go for Webb and pass on the guy that beat him out.

Attackett likes this.
  17. Br4d

3rd or 4th round vs the 6 pick.

Really?

18. BigSnacks54

There's a reason why one guy went top 10 and had top tier NFL coaches fawning over him and why the other went in round 3. Webb is awful and will be an awful QB. Mahomes, in my opinion, will be a quality starter in KC for years to come.

legler82 likes this.
  19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I liked Mahomes and Watson but if you're not truly convinced about a QB it's better to pass and live to fight another day

By all accounts next season is a better QB class and it's not like we're one piece away (quite the opposite)

So smart decision to bolster up the team in other areas and then go after the guy you truly believe in

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Br4d

Just to add-on in the peer-pressure category: Trubisky was booed by the fans at the Bulls playoff game. They know a reach when they see one and they took it out on the first target that presented itself, which was unfortunately the 21 year old guy who was the passive player in the deal.