Trading up for QB is looking like a necessity.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Would you trade up in the draft for...

1. Rosen

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Darnold

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Mayfield

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. Allen

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Hope one falls to 6

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that Mac is all in on Mayfield, but don't. If anything, I think he is much more likely to take Allen or Nelson than Mayfield. If he doesn't sign Cousins, he might be happy with any one of Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield. He might try to trade up, but I think he's more likely to stay at #6 or even trade down. I've lost about all confidence in him.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the opportunity exists for the Jets to draft Mayfield, in any scenario, and the Jets pass, I'll be very disappointed. Obviously will root for whoever the Jets take, but regardless, Mac will be judged by his decisions as he should be. This one is the most important he has to make since he's arrived here.

3. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

I'm no NCAA Basketball fan but I would have thought that the squad sizes would play a big difference here. To lose a star player at basketball could destroy a squad, thats not always the case with football with the football squad being so much larger. Graduate players are also free to transfer to the team of their choice, although I don't know if that is the case with any of the quoted players.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Every year it's lets just wait because we might miss out next year... Eventually we have to pull the trigger on somebody.

I do agree that we shouldn't reach for a QB at 6 if Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield aren't there. That most likely means Barkley or Chubb is available

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

For the “just stay at 6 and take a QB” crowd

6. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Just did a search for most recent mock drafts. The first three I looked at are very different in the first five picks, but all have us taking Rosen without trading up.

7. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Yep. The exact reason why I posted this thread.

If I’m the the Jets, I make sure that I am the team that trades up to the 3rd Overall Pick.

xxedge72x and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think I agree now boys. We are going to need #2 or #3.

9. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

It's almost a forgone conclusion Barkley will be the 1st pick. If not since cleveland is cleveland it's going to be a QB. Barkley will not get past the giants if he's still there. I'd say the 3rd pick gives us a great pic of a QB.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Yeah. I think if the Jets have a 1A and 1B QB on their big board they may target the third pick.

However if they want a specific player, they need the second.

11. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I'd be all for getting the 2nd or 1st pic but it gets pricy the higher you get. The third shouldnt be to bad.

12. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I really don’t see any scenario where the Giants trade with the Jets.

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If the Jets offered a lucrative package, the Giants would have to consider.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt Cleveland will do anything but use the 1st pick on either their QB or Barkley, and if the Giants don't want a QB, and Barkley is already taken by the Browns, I could see then willing to trade down with the Bills for their 2 firsts and their 2nd and some other picks so they could provide Eli with protection and weapons which they could still get farther back in the 1st round. If that's true they might see the Bills offer as better than what the Jets can offer.

Bottom line: If the Jets are going to be able to trade up it will be with the Colts for #3 or the Browns for #4, if at all. I hope they do it, rather than sit at #6 and wind up holding the bag instead of the prize.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The historical comparisons suffer from two flaws, first there are more potential top 6 worthy QB's in this draft than in any draft since 2004 or so. Second, many of the trade ups listed were for picks after the 6.

The Jets can sit at 6 and pretty much guarantee getting one of Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold and Allen. Whether they see all of those guys worth the 6 is unknown but it is highly unlikely that all 4 go before the 6 with Saquon Barkley also in the mix.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think trading a player and both 2nd rd picks to get Billy Price is a necessity.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Back just in time for FA and the draft. I like it.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Mahomes, Watson, Lynch, Manziel, Bridgewater and Manuel were all picked after the 6th pick, some well after the 6th pick. Not to mention how many of those trades were in no way worth it.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

This is plausible.

Buffalo’s stockpile scares me. But any of the teams in the top 5 are going to have to swallow drafting in the 20s.

It will probably take both 1st rounders, a third, and a first next year from Buff.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

0 chance Barkley is there at 6..He absolutely goes to Cleveland at 1 or 4 and it would cost the Jets way too much to move up when everybody above them probably takes a QB except maybe Indy and they might too with their QB health issues lately.

ColoradoContrails likes this.