Trading up for QB is looking like a necessity.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Would you trade up in the draft for...

1. Rosen

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Darnold

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Mayfield

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. Allen

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. Hope one falls to 6

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

But we are incapable of developing QBs. Determining QBs before they get into a system and get a shot is too hard to predict too.

Nearly everyone would have said that Winston and Mariota had much lower potential to bust than Goff and Wentz. The later is looking all pro, while the former is looking extremely average and on the cusp on being busts in the next few years.

2. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i would make the giants an offer they can't refuse...

jets get pick #2.....the giants get pick #6, second (49) and fourth round picks this year and next years first.

jets take either darnold or allen at #2.

its time folks. forget free agency. go get your own fuckin qb. the jets are always 1 win, 1 loss, or 1 draft slot behind. lets change that.

NYJetsO12 and Attackett like this.
  3. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

You validated my argument by saying that 'determining qbs before they get into a system....

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

As I've said before, if Mac has a guy he wants, he needs to go all in to get him. Hoping it's not Allen, but I fear that Mac will fall in love with him after the Combine. I'm ok with moving up to get Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well, except for your choices of who to draft, I agree.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If there is only one that they think will fit their scheme best, then I agree that by all means they need to go and get him. I could definitely be wrong, but could see Mayfield, Rosen or Darnold possibly fitting their present scheme, whereas I think their scheme would probably have to be altered at least to include some RPOs with either Allen or Jackson, and they may need to go to a more downfield passing scheme with either.

I would be so happy to see the Jets draft a QB in the first round, that I think I'd be happy with any of the top 5 QBs, but Mayfield and Rosen are my top two preferences (in that order). The next 3 could quite possibly change from day to day until the draft. If what Greg Cosell says is accurate about QBs not being able to change their throwing motion, then Allen would be #3 on my list and Darnold and Jackson be the bottom two, as I think Darnold could wind up throwing a lot of interceptions with the delay in his throwing motion, and Jackson could wind up with a chronically sore shoulder with his throwing motion and his slim build concerns me. Rosen concerns me because of his concussions and his slight build. Both Rosen and Jackson look more like tennis players or basketball players than football players. with their slim builds.

I'm not worried about Mayfield's height at all. I think he's the best leader, the most fiery competitor, the best at extending plays, the most accurate, and one of the best at playing the position of QB.

7. NCJetsfan

I disagree with both of these posts. Yes, we are still building through the draft, and should be developing a core group from the draft supplemented through FA, but as the QB is the most important player on a team and is key to the core, he should be drafted, not signed as a FA. The bust rate for QBs taken in the 2nd or 3rd round is much higher than it is for 1st round QBs. The Jets have taken their chances with 2nd tier QBs for most of the last 20 years. Enough is enough.

Since we're building through the draft, we certainly don't need to be burning draft picks for a QB like Foles who has had only one really good season in his career (and that was 5 years ago), and the rest has been pretty mediocre except for the this year's SB. His completion percentage for half of his career has been below 60% and his career completion percentage is only 60.1%. He also fumbles too much. He had 6 fumbles in 7 games this past season, and has 27 in his 6-year career.

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Disagree about Foles. He was the victim of a coaching change in Phila. who wanted his own guy (Bradford). Of course, neither of those two guys lasted in Phila. and Foles got the last laugh. Percentages aside, Foles has won in every place he's been including big games. I would take him in a heartbeat over Cousins. Yet, I agree we shouldn't be going down that path. Stick to the plan, draft a QB.

9. NCJetsfan

It's fine that you disagree, and we'll just have to agree to disagree. How can you say that he has won every place he's been? In his rookie season (2012) with Philadelphia he appeared in 7 games, starting in 6 of them. The Eagles were 4-12. His 2nd season (2013), he appeared in 13 games starting 10 of them, and the Eagles went 10-6. In 2014, he appeared in 8 games and started 8 games. The Eagles again went 10-6. In 2015 he played with the Rams appearing in 11 games and starting 11 games. The Rams went 7-9. In 2016, he played for the Chiefs. He appeared in 3 games, starting only 1, and the Chiefs went 12-4, but Foles didn't have much to do with that. In 2017 he was back with the Eagles, appearing in 7 games, starting 3 and the Eagles went 13-3, but most of those wins were due to Wentz, not Foles. His QB rating was 79.5, he threw 5 TDs to 2 interceptions, had a completion percentage of 56.4% and had 6 fumbles.

I wouldn't want him as a FA, and certainly wouldn't give up any picks for him.

10. footballfundamentals

As I stated, I like the blueprint followed by The Titans and the Jags. Tom Coughlin does know a thing or two about winning the Superbowl. Foles was just an example of finding a quality starter.

11. NCJetsfan

If you like the blueprint followed by the Titans and the Jags, why are you trading for a QB rather than drafting one?

What does your comment about Tom Coughlin have to do with anything?

12. footballfundamentals

The thread is about trading up for a franchise qb, which I believe is risky this year due to all of the questions about most of the top tier qb's.

I spoke about developing a 2nd tier quarterback behind an experienced veteran. I am ok with trading a 2nd rounder for Foles since it would be an upgrade. That was just an example, you can put in Bridgewater, Keenum etc.

I brought up Couglin because he knows how to assemble a championship team. He drafted Cam Robinson and Leonard Fournette this year knowing you have to have a physical team in order to succeed especially in cold weather games.

The Titans were let down by Mariotta, but they have Derrick Henry who is 250 pounds. Not everyone has a Brady, Rodgers or Brees, so you have to find other ways to win.

13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I do agree that if the Jets organization misses on Cousins and loves a QB this year, then they’ve got to trade up and get their boy.

However, there’s an interesting question here in the inverse: if the Jets organization doesn’t like any of these QBs for whatever reason (each has warts), what happens? Does Mac still trade up and force a pick for that QB that they dislike the least? Does he stand pat and take whatever comes available? Does he try to preserve value by trading for a 2019 first round pick? It’s just another thought experiment.

At this point, the offseason just stared. So many decisions to be made before the draft, much less who of Barkley-Chubb-Nelson-Darnold-Rosen-Fitzpatrick-Griffin will be available at the sixth spot — even less so, who the Jets will pick and at which pick number.

Edit: Griffin obviously a joke.

#33 NoodleArm, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  14. NCJetsfan

If Mac doesn't like any of the QBs in this draft, then unless he is able to sign Cousins or Bridgewater during FA, I think he needs to resign as Jets' GM and find a new profession.

More than likely Chubb will be gone by the #6 pick. Barkley will certainly be gone. If he stays put and takes Fitzpatrick, I might drive to NJ and kick Mac's ass. If he has signed Cousins or Bridgewater, then he should either take Nelson or trade down. If he opts not to sign Cousins or Bridgewater or fails to do so, then he damn well better draft a QB or his ass should be on the unemployment line as soon as the draft is over (or earlier).

#34 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

This is essentially my thinking. If we do not end up with Cousins or a 1st Round QB, this regime will feel the heat all season.

This is why I believe Mac can’t afford to sit at 6 if we miss on Cousins. Time to be aggressive.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

If Mac doesn’t like any of these QBs I would hope he somehow trades for a 2019 1st rounder so his replacement can have multiple chances to find that QB that Mac couldn’t.

Mac can’t survive not selecting a 1st rd QB after passing on Mahomes, Watson last year and missing on Cousins this year all the while hitching his wagon to a QB that can’t get on the field after 2 full seasons. I do believe after officially missing on Cousins he will go all in on securing the QB he feels most comfortable gambling his career on.

17. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I agree that Mac has to sign one of the vets going into the season. Bridgewater would be the best of the bunch given his age, but he’s got huge questions marks (e.g., Keenum could also be a flash into the pan). My worry is that he’s going to get Bradford, who’ll injure himself on the first play.

About the draft, stockpiling picks for 2019 would be a good idea IF he likes that class better. Here’s the too-early Walter football list: http://walterfootball.com/draft2019QB.php

18. NCJetsfan

Thanks for posting the Walter link. Is it a sure thing that all those QBs will be in the draft next year? One thing I noticed is that Stidham had a 67% completion percentage, but he is ranked by them as the only the 5th best QB. Their #3 QB prospect Patterson had a 64% completion percentage, but suffered a season-ending knee injury. He may not be that healthy or effective next year. Their top prospect, Lock, only completed 58% of his passes. Their #2 prospect, Thorson, completed 60% of his passes, but threw almost as many interceptions as TDs. He also suffered a torn ACL. He may not even be all that healthy next year. One or more of those QBs could suffer a season-ending injury next year or not play that well.

I was surprised that there were that many QBs who could be quality prospects, but waiting until next year is a gamble, and with a better team and better record in 2018, it would be harder for the Jets to trade up next year even with an additional #2 or #1 pick. They have an extra #2 this year, but they are much closer to where they need to be to draft a QB. If Mac doesn't add a quality QB this year or Hack doesn't prove to be a revelation, Mac may not even be around as the Jets' GM to draft one of those QBs next year. If he's smart, at a minimum he'll add Bridgewater or someone better than McCown and pray that either that QB will play well or that Hack will, but his best move is to draft a QB. IMO hoping that the veteran they're able to sign (if it isn't Cousins) will play that well or that Hack will is more risky than drafting a QB this year. At least that will buy him another couple of years.

I am also surprised that a couple of the prospects transferred schools and will be playing next season. Is that new? In basketball, they have to sit out the first half the season, if not a whole year. Why would football be different?

#38 NCJetsfan, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It’s refreshing to see 70 percent of the Board wanting to trade up for Rosen or Mayfield like I have suggested these past 6 months
    Every year there are QB haters who uncover every flaw in a potential draftable and talented QB ..complete BS..
    A few years ago a QB named Kirk Cousins was waiting for the phone to ring and tell him “welcome to the NFL”...oh wait we’re there not 5 talking heads who said he lacked foot placement etc etc ...guess what?? There is NO PERFECTION and no security of a sure thing just OPPORTUNITy to move up and get a quality QB

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Trade to pick 1, whatever it takes, and take Mayfield. Use our vast $$ availability (not just this year, but next year too) to put Mayfield in a position to succeed immediately. Continue to build around him, unlike what the Jets did with Sanchez.

If the Jets spend the $$ on Cousins, we get the opposite scenario of what I just described, where we will be dependent on excellent drafting to support the investment in Cousins. Personally, I'd prefer the former option.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.