trading down with the raiders???

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CoachTsurfing, Mar 6, 2006.

1. CoachTsurfing

CoachTsurfing Banned

With Collins being released, the Raiders will be looking for a QB through the draft or FA. Other then Brees I don't see anything that would interest them too much. I believe we could trade down with them and still have a shot at Dbrick. San Francisco might take him but they have just as many holes as we do so who knows. So what do you guys think?

2. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

The Raiders are not looking for another rookie quarterback. We've heard this from Raiderjeaux for a full year and, in this case, I think he's right. They'd like to give the future a whirl with Andrew Walter. Walter was injured last preseason, but played twice. He was not terribly impressive, but he didn't look out of place, and somehow has made an entire Raider Nation soil their underoos.

3. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Walter would have been a first round pick had he not been injured during his final season at ASU. The guy has a cannon for an arm and while his decisionmaking isn't the best, he is physically exciting and moving forward with more experience. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the future.

-X-

4. CoachTsurfing

CoachTsurfing Banned

I have to disagree with you on that. They knew they weren't going to keep Collins after this year. Why wouldn't they start Walter, at the very least a few games at the end of the year. Heck even a few reps in the fourth quarter.

5. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

^^ That's a pretty big IF....in any case I also heard he has the tools necessary to play in the nfl, so why not give the kid a shot? They have plenty of holes to fill in the meanwhile....

6. Sundayjack

It's just how Cuckoobananas Al Davis likes to do things. The Raiders have always - ALWAYS - looked to fill the quarterback position with a veteran. So, with Walter, they'll give him a year or two watching mediocre football, hope that he learns what not to do, and then let him start fresh with a new coach.

7. Attyla

Attyla New Member

The thoughts in Raider Nation are as follows:

The Raiders do like Walter, and I will disagree, Sundayjack, he did show sparks of things to come there. If he had not been injured, he very well may have gotten a start late in the season. But he is a rookie, and as such, there are a lot of questions. the Raiders hope to sign a vet to compete with Walter, a Patrick Ramsey or Brooks type of guy, to give us some veteran leadership and experience. The Raiders are NOT looking at either Leinart or Young, although they did interview Young recently. Cutler has shown some Raider type ability, but again, the team is not interested in two young QB's to compete for the job.

As for Kerry, there were talks between the two camps regarding redoing the deal, in a cap friendly way, but when push came to shove, the Raiders opted out. This is a tough time for Kerry being unemployed with all of the available vet QB's out there, and his value will dip due to last season.

Jack, I think if you looked at the tape on Walter in his preseason game vs SF, you might see something in that kid that would impress. For a rookie, he stood in the pocket and delivered very well. Just an FYI. And remember, while he was going up against third string, he also had third string players he was throwing to as well.

so no, if the Raiders make any move in the draft, it will be the second rounder they deal to get a first rounder in exchange.

8. Personally I think the Raiders take Hawk. He fits in perfectly in silver and black

9. Attyla

Attyla New Member

I would agree, but then again, Al being Al, he may go out and get Arrington and decide to go elsewhere with the pick. He must be looking at the FA list right now and looking at the checkbook with glee

10. NJRaider

NJRaider New Member

He couldn't start late in the year because he had the now fashionable "sports hernia" injury. Had it operated on right after the season ended. no reason to play an injured rookie in December and stand him behind Barry "the Turnstyle" Sims!

11. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

I agree with that. Arrington is such an Al purchase. An over the hill, overpaid and underperformer,he fits right in with Warren Sapp. I wouldn't be surprised if I see the Raiders sign Aaron Brooks and Lavar Arrington , draft Mario Williams or AJ Hawk. Another guy they maybe looking at is Michael Huff. Former number one Derrick Gibson has been a huge bust,so they maybe looking to fill that safety position. Whatever pick guy they choose, it should be on the defensive side of the ball.

12. Attyla

Attyla New Member

I doubt Arrington would fall under the catagory of over the hill. I would say he is more of a raw player who has been poorly coached.

The Raiders linebackers did do a good job last season, overall, and with that group of guys, it had to be coaching, as they are not the most athletic group I have seen, so getting Arrington and coaching him into the system would greatly inprove his productivity. He is, after all, a very good athlete, just a bit of a wildcard.

Im not backing him just because I think he will be a Raider, I have admired his play for some time, and his passion.

13. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

JMO I don't think arrington on Raiders radar as he going to cost a ton of money to sign and AL dosen't put high priority on LB position. IF Raiders did spend on a Big time LB ,I think Julian Peterson would be a better fit than him.

What raiders need more than anything is a Lb with coverage ability(either W witherspoon, david Thornton, and S Barber) would be my first choice. Last year Raiders without that one coverage LB, they were forced to play alot of Big Nickel defense.(safety playing a lB position)

a LB corp OF WLB W Witherspoon/Thornton/ Barber MLB D Clark/ K Morrison sdslb Sam Williams would greatly improve there abilty to matchup better to RB and TE in coverage.

14. Sundayjack

Couldn't disagree more. As I said in another thread, he looked poised, but his strong arm was powerfully erratic. You may as well keep Kerry Collins for the next 10 years if that's what you're looking for.

I remember his performance in that game pretty well. He had 3 or four decent throws, but the rest was unimpressive. Still, the announcers (obviously Raidiators) were dripping manlove on each other. It was sort of thing Mike Mayock did for Jay Cutler, where somehow launching a pass three feet over a receiver's head becomes a good thing. At one point a Walter throw hit the back of the receiver's head, and the announcers had the audacity to suggest that it was the receiver's fault for not catching a ball, "when it hits you in the head." :rolleyes: I was beside myself wondering if we were watching the same performance, and it was at that point I realized how desperate Raider Nation was for a new hero.

15. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Sapp Played very well last year back at his more natural DT. 5 1/2 sacks in ten games and probably played his best ever defending against the run. You wouldn't take 5 1/2 sacks from baby sapp(D robertson)
    I think mario williams is defintely guy they coveted. I can see them trying to trade up to get him. Mario williams and a W witherspoon/ Barber/ D Thornton in Fa make Raiders defense very scary.

Defense would look something like this Run downs. LDe M Williams LDT T Sands RDT W Sapp/A hawthorne RDE Tom kelly(best allround Dlineman)
    wlb Witherspoonj/Thornton MLb D Clark/ K morrison SSLB sam williams cb F Washington CB N Asomugha FS S Schweigert SS FA Tank williams

Passing downs LDE Mario williams Ldt Tom kelly RDT W sapp RDe D Burgess
    Nickel coverage Lb( witherspoon/ Thornton

CB N asomugha CB F washington FS S schweigert Ss R Hill Ncb S routt DB Veteran Cb

16. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Admit it sunday Jack you watch the link I provided. Go look at the pass that hit the Wr in the head. That was erratic pass.
    More reciever looking at Safety than looking at football.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=aPqxGnQOzTM&search=Andrew Walter

You judge for yourself

Here another one http://youtube.com/watch?v=4EjcNSATX4E&search=Andrew Walter

#16 Raiderjoe, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  17. Sundayjack

Oh great. . . the Andrew Walter Bukkake tapes. And you want me to watch it AGAIN?!!

Were you the one who posted it on Raiderforum, also? Just can't help yourself, can you Jeauxsef?

18. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Yup, the Jets will trade down with the Raiders! It's going to happen. Remember you heard it here first!

19. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

I told you already, that you don't need to go to a ARaiderboard to find out where you can buy those glasses you covet. Just prodiving a link so everyone can see how erratic that pass was that hit WR in the head. Again Wr took eye off ball as he was peaking at saftey.

Point is that your not understand is, you can't make accurate asessment, good or bad of player off one game. (Remember Browning nagle) Everyone knows A walter can throw with best of them ,as you don't break J elway pAC 10 passing record . What was the most impressive in tape was the command he had, and his posie under constant pressure. Sure he missed on passes ,but what Qb dosen't. Raiders FO is extremely happy with his progress and they seen him more than anyone else. Hopefully your team can gety there QB of the future because it sounds like a little jealously on your part.

20. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

I think Raiders have to get to four to get Williams. I think If D Brickshaw Ferguson on board they stay and make the pick ( IF qb they covet, they can move down and still get there guy. (greenbay, 49ers) have already invested into a QB.

Jets take Brickshaw at four and obviously Raiders aren't getting williams. I say Raiders take TE V davis at 7.